What the MPC 5000 has that the MV-8800 doesn't?

jahrome

Diamond Member
I previously wrote a thread to give people wanting to purchase an MV all the details of it's benefits over an MPC 5000. By popluar demand, I am creating this thread from an MPC 5000 perspective.

The following features are benefits of the MPC 5000 that are not implemented in the MV-8800 (or implemented to a lesser extent) *as of 2 Jan 2009:

1. 20 voice VA synth – parameters edited via Q-links
2. 8 tracks of hard disk recording w/ automation – Export/Import 24 bit files
3. Most advanced swing parameters of any MPC to date
4. 64 parts – can assign a different program to each track
5. 8 + 4 Q-links knobs/sliders that send MIDI CC messages to external instruments – can adjust the tune, level, layer, cutoff, resonance, pan, attack, decay, and release of internal individual sounds and/or programs (synth and sample)
6. Record and Edit at 960 ppqns plus 1/4 (3), 1/64 (3) timing note values supported
7. Undo/Redo most editing parameters – functional even when sequencer is playing
8. 4 buss multi-effects processor with 2 effects per buss..all linkable (had insert/send effects)- effects can be routed to any of the 10 analog or digital outputs – editable via Q-links
9. 10 analog outputs + 8 channel ADAT digital output, CF card reader standard
10. Can resample any of the 10 outputs
11. 2 footswitch ports (can assign several MPC functions to)
12. Ability to use the analog inputs and turntable inputs simultaneously
13. Master EQ and Compressor
14. 2 MIDI Ins/4 MIDI outs standard (64 channels of external MIDI sequencing)
15. Multitimbral Mode – turns MPC into 32 channel sound module
16. DVD Rom Support
17. Up to 64 continuous sample tracks
18. Cycle and Random sample zone play
19. Track Mute Menu: Track Mute, Track Mute Group, Pad Mute, Pad Mute Group; all can be automated
20. 7 Filters options per pad (4 additional variations) – 2, 4, 6, 8 slope options with additional filters in the 4 x 2 buss effects processor
21. More filter/filter envelope, Amp envelope, LFO parameters
22. Patched Phrase
23. Independent Arpeggiator for each track
24. Adjustable LCD screen
25. Simultaneous access to hard drive and CF drive via PC/USB
26. Instant track mute for beat juggling
27. 16 levels mode – velocity, filter, tune, decay, attack, layer

Last edited:
Good list, but the only reason I would buy the 5000 is for the 960ppqn and it's small size.

Effects busses, 10 output resmapling, grabbing of a portion of a sample, wack ass chopping, and the synth...........y'all can keep that ****.

Let add a few more features to that list.;)

* The sequencer will still up when holding down the Repeat button off and on.

* No keygroups or multisampling

* Missing VCOs in the synth

* No S-1000/3000 or MPC-3000 support

* Hitting " overdub " or " overdub + play " often make a little jump that desynchronise the midi when the MPC is in External Sync mode.

* SysEx events can't be recorded.

* Grid Edit:
After chopping a sample and making a program..I still have problems with playing that program in Grid Edit Mode. I get no sound when playing the pads.

Additionally, once this happens, it is no longer possible to step record or real time record while in Grid Edit.:p

* Changes Start and end points of your chops

* Playback glitches when programs in grid mode

* Pad latency while in Program Edit Mode

* some of the feedback based EFX (Reverb, Delay) tend to create a really annoying digital feedback with certain settings

* Jog Wheel increments still not picked up 100% in screens like program sample assign and mixer screen.

* loading programs while playing a sequence cause sync speed problems

* While in Grid Edit Mode- Select one of the recorded events without leaving Grid Edit Mode and press Window-Button...FREEZE

* "effects engine failure" message on start up

* ROM Folders may appear to be empty when loading synths

* Trim->Time Stretch - can't stretch from 60 to 180, snaps always to twice the speed.

* Song stuttering and delays when using effect events

* "event editing in step mode is absolutely buggy. Moving the Effect event was only possible in forward direction."

* If you delete a track while in solo mode every tracks remain in solo mode, no way to unsolo them.

* Holding play during preview produces stuck notes.

* Changes the duration of notes in loaded patterns

* " put the Arp to 1/16 & record something

Go to song mode, add the sequence 1 to the song , press play

You ll notice the Arp go to 1/8 instead of 1/16"

* missing VCO 3 in synth

* Hanging Envelopes

* Using Copy and Replace... the replace works fine if you only do 1 copy but any extra copies are merged not replaced

* " Using the Pad transpose function doesn't do anything - but if you go back into the menu and leave the 'destination' pad (on the right) the same (it remembers the last entry from the first attempt) and change the 'source' pad (on the left) it now works - but as soon as you change the 'destination' pad it doesn't work - you have to do the process twice and let it remember the value on the right... "

* When you copy a track the midi channel isn't copied with it.

* When you delete a track the midi channel stays there.

* When you use the track move feature, all the midi channel settings don't move at all.

* When you go to TRIM mode from PROGRAM mode it goes to the currently selected sample as expected. If you then change sample (scroll with the data wheel) and select the LOOP (f2) page, when you select TRIM (f1) again it goes back to the original sample you started with, not the current sample you are editing.

The above features are benefits of the MPC 5000 that are not implemented in the MV-8800 !

the original thread of the bugs can be viewed here.
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=100159&start=90

All of that drama for just $2500 phrase sampler ....FAIL!

jahrome said:
I previously wrote a thread to give people wanting to purchase an MV all the details of it's benefits over an MPC 5000. By popluar demand, I am creating this thread from an MPC 5000 perspective.

The following features are benefits of the MPC 5000 that are not implemented in the MV-8800 (or implemented to a lesser extent) *as of 2 Jan 2009:

1. 20 voice VA synth – parameters edited via Q-links (MV has 1 as part of the single Multi-effects processor)
2. 8 tracks of hard disk recording w/ automation – Export/Import 24 bit files (MV has 8 tracks of Ram based audio that goes out of sync with long recordings)
3. Most advanced swing parameters of any MPC to date (the MV will never be able to duplicate this unless they steal Akai's code)
4. 64 parts – can assign a different program to each track (the MV has 16 parts)
5. 8 + 4 Q-links knobs/sliders that send MIDI CC messages to external instruments – can adjust the tune, level, layer, cutoff, resonance, pan, attack, decay, and release of internal individual sounds and/or programs (synth and sample)- (the MVs sliders and knobs don't have this level of control)
6. Record and Edit at 960 ppqns plus 1/4 (3), 1/64 (3) timing note values supported (The resolution of the MVs sequencer doesn't come close and certainly not the timing)
7. Undo/Redo most editing parameters – functional even when sequencer is playing (NO..for the MV)
8. 4 buss multi-effects processor with 2 effects per buss..all linkable (had insert/send effects)- effects can be routed to any of the 10 analog or digital outputs – editable via Q-links (FX routing of the MV doesn't come close)
9. 10 analog outputs + 8 channel ADAT digital output, CF card reader standard (You have to purchase $400-$800 in expansion boards for the MV to have this...but these boards are being discontinued)
10. Can resample any of the 10 outputs (The MV doesn't have this many outputs)
11. 2 footswitch ports (can assign several MPC functions to)- (the MV has 1)
12. Ability to use the analog inputs and turntable inputs simultaneously (not possible with the MV)
13. Master EQ and Compressor (No...for the MV)
14. 2 MIDI Ins/4 MIDI outs standard (64 channels of external MIDI sequencing) - (not possible with the MV even with an expansion board)
15. Multitimbral Mode – turns MPC into 32 channel sound module (16 for the MV)
16. DVD Rom Support (no for the MV...but I hear some have tried/some have failed)
17. Up to 64 continuous sample tracks (no for the MV)
18. Cycle and Random sample zone play (No for the MV)
19. Track Mute Menu: Track Mute, Track Mute Group, Pad Mute, Pad Mute Group; all can be automated (sorry...MV can't do all of this)
20. 7 Filters options per pad (4 additional variations) – 2, 4, 6, 8 slope (options with additional filters in the 4 x 2 buss effects processor (The MPC 5000 is filter king...these MV doesn't have this level of control)
21. More filter/filter envelope, Amp envelope, LFO parameters (the MV has these but the MP has a higher level of control)
22. Patched Phrase (no for the MV)
23. Independent Arpeggiator for each track (No for the MV)
24. Adjustable LCD screen (no for the MV so you have no choice but to use an external monitor...without the monitor, the MV is not something you want to work with)
25. Simultaneous access to hard drive and CF drive via PC/USB (No for the MV)
26. Instant track mute for beat juggling (No for the MV)
27. 16 levels mode – velocity, filter, tune, decay, attack, layer (No for the MV)

moyphee said:
Like I said, you're right to be suspicious. Whatever is released he'll say he knew before anyone else.
Not only do you have these features currently in the MPC 5K that the MV doesn't...this is only a partial list...one more time....this is only a partial list.

Something wicked this way comes...

Last edited:
jahrome said:
Not only do you have these features currently in the MPC 5K that the MV doesn't...this is only a partial list...one more time....this is only a partial list.

Something wicked this way comes...

None of the features actually work 100%. The machine is so pitiful that Akai sells the customer returns direct from the factory. The machine doesn't work and has never worked right.
Some shyt , you just made up or exagerated. Most notably:

Undo/Redo most editing parameters – functional even when sequencer is playing (NO..for the MV

Lie

Master EQ and Compressor (No...for the MV)
The has full 9 block Mastering Suite

More filter/filter envelope, Amp envelope, LFO parameters (the MV has these but the MP has a higher level of control)
Lie -The has every filter type and and as many parameters as the 5000

DVD Rom Support (no for the MV...but I hear some have tried/some have failed)
I have a dvd installed and it hasn't failed yet. In addition the MPC charges $200 extra for laptop drive

I could continue but the BUG-5000 is already doomed!

moyphee said:
None of the features actually work 100%. The machine is so pitiful that Akai sells the customer returns direct from the factory. The machine doesn't work and has never worked right.
Some shyt , you just made up or exagerated. Most notably:

Undo/Redo most editing parameters – functional even when sequencer is playing (NO..for the MV

Lie

Master EQ and Compressor (No...for the MV)
The has full 9 block Mastering Suite

More filter/filter envelope, Amp envelope, LFO parameters (the MV has these but the MP has a higher level of control)
Lie -The has every filter type and and as many parameters as the 5000

DVD Rom Support (no for the MV...but I hear some have tried/some have failed)
I have a dvd installed and it hasn't failed yet. In addition the MPC charges $200 extra for laptop drive

I could continue but the BUG-5000 is already doomed!

Sorry bra...the MV does not do these things that the 5K can. But that is what happens when you read things about the 5K from other MV users or people that don't know how to use a 5K in the first place.

Lies? You keep telling people that they will pay $200 for a laptop drive if your purchase from American Musical. But in reality, the drive and memory is free if you purchase from VST service..and you know this. You have been aware of this for a long time. But at the same time, you forget to mention that you have to spend $400-$800 to get analog outputs, multi-channel digital outputs, and additional MIDI outs for the MV which is standard on MPCs. You also forgot to mention that MV options are being discontined. Stop misleading people. Roland will not pay you for spreading these lies...

The MV doesn't give you the number of filter options PER sample and it certainly doesn't have the same number of parameters. We established your lies in another thread. You are trying to throw in global filters from the single multi-effects processor..which the MPC 5K has these too....4 buss multi-effects processor, 2 effects per buss, routable to individual analog or digital outputs..seperate from the original audio signal if you choose. Sorry dude, the MV simply just doesn't have this flexibility. On top of the 4 buss multi-effects processor, the 5K has a dedicated Master EQ and Compressor effects. I am not talking about a mastering suite with 9 parameters. I am talking about a 4 buss effects processor with a seperate Master EQ and seperate Master Compressor. That is 6 effect slots total (4 multi and 2 fixed).

My bad about the UNDO/REDO editing while the sequencer is playing. The MPC 5000 is the first MPC that can do this and there wasn't any evidence in the MVs manual or in the forum that this is possible on the MV....but then again, you lie all the time. In the MVs manual, it clearly states you can't use undo to bring back a normalized or truncated sample (several times in the manual). You CAN do this on the MPC 5000...even while the sequencer is running. You CAN delete an MPC 5K track and use undo to bring it back. You can't do this with the MV. This is clearly stated in the manual..again..you do nothing but tell lies. Again...the MV has undo/redo but NOT as powerful as the MPC 5K. You have lost all credibility and don't appear to have used the MV or MPC.

The truth....the MPC 5000 current OS 1.02 has some bugs. I have written about them in these forums like I have done with every product I have purchased including the MPC 2500, Fantom G, and MV-8000. This is the nature of all new products and their first operating systems. Akai has been working on the fixes and have listened to user feedback. There are beta testers in these forums (that are actually musicians) that have addressed/confirmed users concerns (and even people that don't own these machines) by providing info to Akai/Numark. There was even an open session with an Akai/Numark rep which had to be shut down because of spammers (like moyphee). This type of behavior in a forum dedicated to musicans is unacceptable. Moyphee's only purpose here is to tell lies and attempt to prevent people from purchasing MPCs (which is weird since most professional use them) and use an MV. Musicans should have options. There is no one way to do anything. But Moyphee's agenda is to make people believe that and he isn't even a musician...

Moyphee your lies have been exposed in an open forum. I created this thread because you requested it numerous times. I created an MV thread and you did nothing but talk about MPCs. Now that I create an MPC thread (for you), are you going to talk about the MV all day?

So let's get back to the truth....hopefully over the next few weeks I will have time to write about other MPC 5K features that are not available on the MV.....

Last edited:
Seriously - You two should be married! I swear to God, every time I come on here I see an argument between you two!

Come on - You both like different gear! Move the Fukc on!

PEACE

jahrome said:
I created this thread because you requested it numerous times.

If you're really bent on doing what i want, try this ...shut the fvck up and get me beer!

Seriously though, every bug listed is attached to every feature you listed. Dude , the thing doesn't work.

just blaze already ****ted on this one.... imagine.... the "just blaze edition mpc-6000" = Crack.... i can see the mouths watering now lol

Never used one but i have read a lot of reviews and forum threads on the legendary "buginess" of the MPC-5K.....

camay123 said:
very interesting. Thanks alot.

Does the MV8800 as phono in

Yes it does.

Jet City said:
just blaze already ****ted on this one.... imagine.... the "just blaze edition mpc-6000" = Crack.... i can see the mouths watering now lol

Roland pulled Just Blaze into their camp after he stated his disappointment of the 5000. They even sent a factory rep to get rolling with all of the stuff they gave him. He had another MV on the way before they got to him so this should be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
moyphee said:
If you're really bent on doing what i want, try this ...shut the fvck up and get me beer!

Seriously though, every bug listed is attached to every feature you listed. Dude , the thing doesn't work.

More lies...when will you stop?

You have been exposed in the worst kind of way....liar. You repeatedly ask me for this thread and I have delivered it. The MPC 5000 does much more than the MV. Not only is this list presently longer than what I wrote already...it is about to get longer...and the features that the MV has that the MPC 5K doesn't, is going to get shorter.

As far as Just Blaze...he creates a blog ranting about the MPC 5000 and then next thing you know he is working for Roland? Even after he stated that he disliked the MV and has been an strong supporter of the MPC 4000? Just in time for Namm? How convenient. Even a Roland article was released with Just Blaze advertising their products. Only a stupid person would be fooled by that. But that is the nature of product indorsements...remember the Jermaine Dupri and Rza indorsements? Same thing. Jermaine Dupri doesn't even use an MV. I think I would prefer Akai getting input from Kanye West or Q-Tip...or Erick Sermon. Anyway...I hope Just Blaze gives them feedback about my Fantom G because they are certainly not listening to me or their other customers.

camay123, the MV does have a phono in..but you can't have something connected to it and the other analog inputs at the sametime. The MV will disable one of them. You don't have this problem with an MPC.

Back to the MPC 5000 thread....

jahrome said:
I hope Just Blaze gives them feedback about my Fantom G because they are certainly not listening to me

Nobody listens to you Jahrome . That's what makes you special.:p

moyphee said:
Nobody listens to you Jahrome . That's what makes you special.:p

Nobody listens? Go back and look at the original Akai MPC 2500 feature request threads. Then...go look at the features of the JJ OS 1 and 2..you will find that are nearly identical. Now look at the latest MPC feature request threads. Then look at what surfaces at Namm. You will find many similarities....it doesn't matter if anyone listens to me personally..listening to the good feedback from these forums (feedback that doesn't include yours), you will see some outstanding products..:p Products that you won't be able to afford...so enjoying window shopping like you always have....

So let's get back to all the lies you wrote starting with the undo/redo functions in the MV you claim were the same as the MPC 5K but far from the truth.

jahrome said:
So let's get back to all the lies you wrote starting with the undo/redo functions in the MV you claim were the same as the MPC 5K but far from the truth.
Undo works just when the sequence is playing. The MV's undo/redo is not in anyway tied to the playing of a sequence. It works the same whether it's playing or not.

Any MV owner could tell that...and if ever owned an MV you would know that. Yeah I said Jahbronie.

Is that all you got guppy?

Products that you won't be able to afford...

Now you're telling me what I can afford?
Look man , if you're running on empty and that's best you can do I'll just let it go.
Like shooting a dead carcas -there's just no sport in it.

I do hope AKAI delivers a decent OS though. All of those folks that got shafted deserve a working machine. If Roland drops another MV I'll take a serious look at it and buy it if I really want it.

moyphee said:
Undo works just when the sequence is playing. The MV's undo/redo is not in anyway tied to the playing of a sequence. It works the same whether it's playing or not.

Any MV owner could tell that...and if ever owned an MV you would know that. Yeah I said Jahbronie.

Is that all you got guppy?

More lies as usual....

The MPC 5000 (as I explained earlier) has the most advanced undo/redo of any MPC and the MV. The MPC 5000 can undo/redo more editing functions than any MPC or the MV. Can you understand this? This includes being able to undo/redo while the sequencer is playing or when the sequencer is stopped. It can undo many sample editing functions. The MV cannot do this. It clearly states in the manual exactly what the MV can and can't do. The MPC 5000 doesn't have this limitation. Why continue to spread these lies? You do not own or use an MV...

I got more (already addressed)...but let's focus on one lie of yours at a time...

Last edited:
Don't go switching on me guppy. You said the MV couldn't Undo while playing it can. If you argue what can be undone and can't ,fine.

You fail to mention that the MV's sample editing is nondestructive so it doesn't need an undo at sample edit. The MV can copy a pad or sample twist it mangle it or completely destroy it and never touch the origin and never use additional memory.

The MV user can restore any sample or chop from the Clipboard or sample Mgr instantly.

BTW- stop reading my post and regurgitating my insults !

....on the subject of ownership!

jahromeao7.jpg

Again...you post nothing but lies. The MVs level of UNDO/REDO is not on par with the MPC 5000. The MV's manual states that if you normalize or truncate a sample, you CANNOT use undo/redo to reverse the effects. Is this true or false? If you truncate an MPC 5000 sampler, pressing undo will restore the sample back to its original form. If you delete an MV track, can you press undo to reverse the changes? The MPC 5000 can. Its undo/redo for numerous functions

Showing a picture of a screen doesn't prove ownership. It certainly doesn't prove you actually make music.

But back to your lies....is the MVs level of undo/redo on par with the MPC 5000? No is the answer.

DO I have to start uploading your manual. Just admit your lies were an honest mistake so we can move on. Of all the MPC functions it has that the MV doesn't, I didn't think that would be the function you would try to champion for the MV :)

Page M-66:
● You can’t use Undo function to bring back a truncated or normalized sample.

Page M-86 ● You can’t use Undo function to bring back a truncated or normalized sample.

Page M-101 ● You can’t use the Undo function to bring back a deleted patch or sample.

Page M-108 You can’t use the Undo function to bring back a deleted partial or sample.

Last edited:
Back