What the MPC 5000 has that the MV-8800 doesn't?

Since OS 2.0 is out...I had to update this list:

1. 20 voice VA synth w/ preview/audition before loading– parameters edited via Q-links (MV has 1 as part of the single Multi-effects processor)
2. 8 tracks of 24 bit hard disk recording w/ automation – Export/Import 16 or 24 bit files (MV has 8 tracks of Ram based audio that goes out of sync with long recordings and no 24 bit recording)
3. Most advanced swing parameters of any MPC to date (the MV will never be able to duplicate this unless they steal Akai's code)
4. 64 parts – can assign a different program to each track (the MV has 16 parts)
5. 8 + 4 Q-links knobs/sliders that send MIDI CC messages to external instruments – can adjust the tune, level, layer, cutoff, resonance, pan, attack, decay, and release of internal individual sounds and/or programs (synth and sample)- (the MVs sliders and knobs don't have this level of control)
6. Record and Edit at 960 ppqns plus 1/4 (3), 1/64 (3) timing note values supported (The resolution of the MVs sequencer doesn't come close and certainly not the timing)
7. Undo/Redo most editing parameters – functional even when sequencer is playing (update: The MV cannot undo destructive editing like truncate while the 5K can)
8. 4 buss multi-effects processor with 2 effects per buss..all linkable (had insert/send effects)- effects can be routed to any of the 10 analog or digital outputs – editable via Q-links. All effects parameters are fully automated (FX routing of the MV doesn't come close)
9. 10 analog outputs + 8 channel ADAT digital output, CF card reader standard (You have to purchase $400-$800 in expansion boards for the MV to have this...but these boards are being discontinued)
10. Can resample any of the 10 outputs (The MV doesn't have this many outputs)
11. 2 footswitch ports (can assign several MPC functions to)- (the MV has 1)
12. Ability to use the analog inputs and turntable inputs simultaneously (not possible with the MV)
13. Master EQ and Compressor (No...for the MV)
14. 2 MIDI Ins/4 MIDI outs standard (64 channels of external MIDI sequencing) - (not possible with the MV even with an expansion board)
15. Multitimbral Mode – turns MPC into 32 channel sound module (16 for the MV)
16. DVD Rom Support (no for the MV...but I hear some have tried/some have failed)
17. Up to 64 continuous sample tracks (no for the MV)
18. Cycle and Random sample zone play (No for the MV)
19. Track Mute Menu: Track Mute, Track Mute Group, Pad Mute, Pad Mute Group; all can be automated plus new mute quantize function (sorry...MV can't do all of this)
20. 7 Filters options per pad (4 additional variations) – 2, 4, 6, 8 slope (options with additional filters in the 4 x 2 buss effects processor (The MPC 5000 is filter king...these MV doesn't have this level of control)
21. More filter/filter envelope, Amp envelope, LFO parameters (the MV has these but the MP has a higher level of control)
22. Patched Phrase (no for the MV)
23. Independent Arpeggiator for each track (No for the MV)
24. Adjustable LCD screen (no for the MV so you have no choice but to use an external monitor...without the monitor, the MV is not something you want to work with)
25. Simultaneous access to hard drive and CF drive via PC/USB (No for the MV)
26. Instant track mute for beat juggling (No for the MV)
27. 16 levels mode – velocity, filter, tune, decay, attack, layer (No for the MV)
28. Track lock function
29. Graphic Q-link controller view in Grid Edit
30. Multi-pad edit
31. Auto create program from folders
32. Import samples at any sample rate but doesn't convert them
33. Import Z8 series programs

Last edited:
if anyone is in michigan i have a mpc5000 brand new in the box for 1600 pm me if your interested and no its not a scam you can check it out before you buy

to be honest i dont have it but i know the guy who does if i could afford it i would buy it but i cant right now so i figured id put it out there for anyone who does he has a fantom g6 also for 1500

jahrome said:
Since OS 2.0 is out...I had to update this list:

1. 20 voice VA synth w/ preview/audition before loading– parameters edited via Q-links (MV has 1 as part of the single Multi-effects processor)
2. 8 tracks of 24 bit hard disk recording w/ automation – Export/Import 16 or 24 bit files (MV has 8 tracks of Ram based audio that goes out of sync with long recordings and no 24 bit recording)
3. Most advanced swing parameters of any MPC to date (the MV will never be able to duplicate this unless they steal Akai's code)
4. 64 parts – can assign a different program to each track (the MV has 16 parts)
5. 8 + 4 Q-links knobs/sliders that send MIDI CC messages to external instruments – can adjust the tune, level, layer, cutoff, resonance, pan, attack, decay, and release of internal individual sounds and/or programs (synth and sample)- (the MVs sliders and knobs don't have this level of control)
6. Record and Edit at 960 ppqns plus 1/4 (3), 1/64 (3) timing note values supported (The resolution of the MVs sequencer doesn't come close and certainly not the timing)
7. Undo/Redo most editing parameters – functional even when sequencer is playing (update: The MV cannot undo destructive editing like truncate while the 5K can)
8. 4 buss multi-effects processor with 2 effects per buss..all linkable (had insert/send effects)- effects can be routed to any of the 10 analog or digital outputs – editable via Q-links. All effects parameters are fully automated (FX routing of the MV doesn't come close)
9. 10 analog outputs + 8 channel ADAT digital output, CF card reader standard (You have to purchase $400-$800 in expansion boards for the MV to have this...but these boards are being discontinued)
10. Can resample any of the 10 outputs (The MV doesn't have this many outputs)
11. 2 footswitch ports (can assign several MPC functions to)- (the MV has 1)
12. Ability to use the analog inputs and turntable inputs simultaneously (not possible with the MV)
13. Master EQ and Compressor (No...for the MV)
14. 2 MIDI Ins/4 MIDI outs standard (64 channels of external MIDI sequencing) - (not possible with the MV even with an expansion board)
15. Multitimbral Mode – turns MPC into 32 channel sound module (16 for the MV)
16. DVD Rom Support (no for the MV...but I hear some have tried/some have failed)
17. Up to 64 continuous sample tracks (no for the MV)
18. Cycle and Random sample zone play (No for the MV)
19. Track Mute Menu: Track Mute, Track Mute Group, Pad Mute, Pad Mute Group; all can be automated plus new mute quantize function (sorry...MV can't do all of this)
20. 7 Filters options per pad (4 additional variations) – 2, 4, 6, 8 slope (options with additional filters in the 4 x 2 buss effects processor (The MPC 5000 is filter king...these MV doesn't have this level of control)
21. More filter/filter envelope, Amp envelope, LFO parameters (the MV has these but the MP has a higher level of control)
22. Patched Phrase (no for the MV)
23. Independent Arpeggiator for each track (No for the MV)
24. Adjustable LCD screen (no for the MV so you have no choice but to use an external monitor...without the monitor, the MV is not something you want to work with)
25. Simultaneous access to hard drive and CF drive via PC/USB (No for the MV)
26. Instant track mute for beat juggling (No for the MV)
27. 16 levels mode – velocity, filter, tune, decay, attack, layer (No for the MV)
28. Track lock function
29. Graphic Q-link controller view in Grid Edit
30. Multi-pad edit
31. Auto create program from folders
32. Import samples at any sample rate but doesn't convert them
33. Import Z8 series programs

You should really do some more research on the MV, because a lot of what you claim it can't do is false.

For example Patched Phrase, the MV had those right from the start.

Or like this claim:

I've got a very adjustable monitor and it works great.

Bananasass said:
You should really do some more research on the MV, because a lot of what you claim it can't do is false.

Or like this claim:

CHOKE ,CHOKE ackughcoughchoke lol nah i just thought that reply was weak!!!!!! imo

Bananasass said:

Or like this claim:

The MV does not have the 5Ks patched phrase function. The MVs LCD is pretty much useless which isn't the case with an MPC. You must by an external monitor for the MV in order to use it comfortably.

Now if I made an error about the MV, please clarify with specifics. The MPC 5K has dozens of features the MV doesn't have so there is no need for me to pad my listing with false claims.

jahrome said:
The MV does not have the 5Ks patched phrase function.

J do your research... and do it better this time.

The MVs LCD is pretty much useless which isn't the case with an MPC. You must by an external monitor for the MV in order to use it comfortably.

This is total bs. The LCD is much more useful than the MPCs screen will ever be, which is why you try to crush it saying it's not adjustable and therefore must suck. It works fine, adding an external monitor is a matter of choice, not necessity.

Now if I made an error about the MV, please clarify with specifics.

Why? So you can just ignore it again? Buzz off.

Bananasass said:
J do your research... and do it better this time.

This is total bs. The LCD is much more useful than the MPCs screen will ever be, which is why you try to crush it saying it's not adjustable and therefore must suck. It works fine, adding an external monitor is a matter of choice, not necessity.

Why? So you can just ignore it again? Buzz off.

Not only did I do my research..I created this thread in an open forum for anyone to give specific information. You have yet to do much of that. The MV does not have the MPC 5Ks patched phrase.

It is a fact that the MVs built in LCD is crap. It is at a horrible angle which makes using it without the VGA expansion..useless. Having an external for the 5K would be nice but it is not needed unlike the MV.

Again, this is an open forum. And I am still waiting for you to sucessfully refute any of the dozens of features that the 5K has that the MV doesn't. Why you keep chasing your tail is beyond me. The MV is not on the same level as the 5K...which I why Roland quickly dropped the prices several times.....but hey...the new MV is reportedly around the corner. You can upgrade with the 5K or the new MV...your choice. And for the record, I never said that you can't create good music with the MV. I just simply talked about what is under each machine's hood. It is up to consumers to choose what will best meet their needs.

jahrome said:
Not only did I do my research..I created this thread in an open forum for anyone to give specific information. You have yet to do much of that. The MV does not have the MPC 5Ks patched phrase.

It is a fact that the MVs built in LCD is crap. It is at a horrible angle which makes using it without the VGA expansion..useless. Having an external for the 5K would be nice but it is not needed unlike the MV.

Again, this is an open forum. And I am still waiting for you to sucessfully refute any of the dozens of features that the 5K has that the MV doesn't. Why you keep chasing your tail is beyond me. The MV is not on the same level as the 5K...which I why Roland quickly dropped the prices several times.....but hey...the new MV is reportedly around the corner. You can upgrade with the 5K or the new MV...your choice. And for the record, I never said that you can't create good music with the MV. I just simply talked about what is under each machine's hood. It is up to consumers to choose what will best meet their needs.
MPC-5000 SCREEN ISSUE
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=110660

Anyway , if you want talk about something, how the Ravens core defense being transplanted in NY and Marvin Harris out of the Colts uniform. Now that's news!

Last edited by a moderator:
No...news is...everything that Just Blaze spoke about during is rant has been addressed. First..bugs he reported were addressed in OS. 1.2. And his feature requests such as program tuning in Program tuning in Program Mode has been added (although it was already possible in Q-link mode). Additionally, Just Blaze's request for auto-increment samplers when creating programs has also been added.

And for Moypee...you tried for so long to diss the 5Ks effects by saying they were not automated when they were...Akai has upped the ante by taking it to another level with Q-FXs. You can program every Q-link and assign any effect parameter to them. Every single effect parameter is now fully automated. This is a huge feature that the MV can't match and never will match...not until the MV-9000 in 1-2 years.

Why do you even bring Blaze up?

The things Just Blaze talked about should have really been addressed way before the MPC5k ever got launched, especially the save issues and the more severe bugs.

Are you're trying to make people forget how ugly it started and how ugly it still is?

In reality you have no idea how many people already lost their interest in the MPC5k months ago.

The contrary is true for the MV, it's selling great and regardless of what you think, it has little to do with rebates. It's actually deservedly gaining more popularity.

OS 2 is a jaw dropper. I can't think of any other workstation that has received an OS update on this level. Akai put a lot of work into this OS.

And there go your final bits of credibility. Say bye bye. Come on, you can't be serious. 100+ bugs and their fixes is a jaw dropper alright, but it's a freaking pathetic thing to begin with. The MV never even had that many bugs.

jahrome said:
And for Moypee...you tried for so long to diss the 5Ks effects by saying they were not automated when they were...Akai has upped the ante by taking it to another level with Q-FXs. You can program every Q-link and assign any effect parameter to them. Every single effect parameter is now fully automated. This is a huge feature that the MV can't match and never will match...not until the MV-9000 in 1-2 years.
Record Automation for MV-8000/8800 MFX - any parameter.

1. Assign the desired parameter to a C knob.
2. Choose a MIDI track routed to MFX
3. Record the automation.

We can do this right now!
....We've been doing it for years!

All actual users (current and previous ) are aware of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
mjames4208 said:
they didnt have bugs that were openly published.

Exactly.....Roland does not release or acknowledge specific bug fixes. Akai does. Most of those bugs occurred during beta testing...which there was probably 20 OS versions being tested. This is the nature of beta testing, which is exactly what you are doing when you use the MPC alternative JJ OS. If any of you ever beta tested anything, you would know the nature of testing.

@Bananasass
So let's see the facts. You say that the MV is selling and the MPC 5K is not? The same MV that had all its options discontinued? The same MV which had a nice price drop at retailers and then received an additional price drom via rebates? Products that sell well do not drop prices this fast. And I never see any of the famous hip-hop, R&B, or Pop music producers talking about the MV. They mostly use MPCs regardless of the model.

I brought up Just Blaze again..first..because he was dumb enough not to install the most current OS. Take a look at his rant and then visit the MPC 5000 forum. You will quickly note that the problems he had were not experienced by other MPC users..the ones that actually updated their machines. Then he went on to lie and state that the MPC 4000s first few OS updates were solid. When I corrected him, he quickly retreated and admitted that he got his MPC 4000 at a later date. So...I just wanted to quickly put that out there that even his feature request (although already requested by MPC Forum members) have been added to OS 2.0.

@moypee
The MPC 5000 shipped with automation. You can control the send levels, pan, and switch to different effects. This was enough for me. But you wrote extensively (due to my prodding) about what you wanted the automation to do. This feedback made its way to Akai and now you have 12 Q-link controls that you can assign to any multi-effect..to any parameter...ALL 8 effect slots. So this one is for you :) You no longer have to be limited to one multi-effect with 3 knobs. You can have 8 multi-effects with 8 knobs and 4 sliders. You go boy!

moyphee said:
The note assign on the MV is fixed but if the Sounds are assignable on the Boss unit you do it. In fact you customize the entire layout if the Boss permits assigning sounds to notes.
Let me grab the Boss manual and I'll post up again.
Another reason why MPCs are superior. Thanks moypee.

Please add:
1. The 5K can do this and the MV can't...in fact, all MPCs can do this.

Last edited:
jahrome said:
Exactly.....Roland does not release or acknowledge specific bug fixes. Akai does. Most of those bugs occurred during beta testing...which there was probably 20 OS versions being tested. This is the nature of beta testing, which is exactly what you are doing when you use the MPC alternative JJ OS.

Wrong again, JJ OS's public release has been damn near bug free.

I am fully aware Akai used the early adopters as beta testers, that doesn't make it right though.

@Bananasass
So let's see the facts. You say that the MV is selling and the MPC 5K is not? The same MV that had all its options discontinued? The same MV which had a nice price drop at retailers and then received an additional price drom via rebates? Products that sell well do not drop prices this fast.

All options discontinued? The only thing discontinued was the expansion for additional outputs. Apparently people did not need it and hence did not buy it. That doesn't say anything about the MV's sales though, just ask Roland and they'll explain.

A price drop after being on the market for some time makes perfect sense and it's working. MVs are selling. In most countries the MV is still going for about the same price as the MPC5k.

And I never see any of the famous hip-hop, R&B, or Pop music producers talking about the MV. They mostly use MPCs regardless of the model.

I brought up Just Blaze again..first..because he was dumb enough not to install the most current OS. Take a look at his rant and then visit the MPC 5000 forum. You will quickly note that the problems he had were not experienced by other MPC users..the ones that actually updated their machines.

You brought Just Blaze up, just so you can say he's a fool for not using 'your' mpc again. You should really just grow up. Who cares which producers uses what gear? I sure as hell don't care. In fact, most people use all kinds of gear anyways, especially the real pros (obviously not you).

Just Blaze's rant was about the same thing I was mad about. Akai should never even have released the MPC5k with that very first public OS. Version screw up or not, it just had way too many bugs. That was and always has been a legit complaint.

they didnt have bugs that were openly published.

That's not true, every new OS update comes with a description about what has been fixed in very much the same way as the Akai OS updates.

Bananasass said:
Wrong again, JJ OS's public release has been damn near bug free.

I am fully aware Akai used the early adopters as beta testers, that doesn't make it right though.
You are a freaking liar and has lost credibility a long time ago and you are getting worst at it :)

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/mpc2500/bug/

JJ OS 2XL is just OS 2 updated..which is just OS 1 updated. OS2XL alone has had over 2 dozen bug fixes alone since it was released.

Bananasass said:
All options discontinued? The only thing discontinued was the expansion for additional outputs. Apparently people did not need it and hence did not buy it. That doesn't say anything about the MV's sales though, just ask Roland and they'll explain.

A price drop after being on the market for some time makes perfect sense and it's working. MVs are selling. In most countries the MV is still going for about the same price as the MPC5k.
Wrong. Roland has stopped making all expansion boards for their flagship groovebox. Most professionals use MPCs which is understandable that they will stop making expansion boards for them because kids don't need them at home. So you want me to ask Roland about sales? After they laid off the employee that championed the MV in the first place...wow is all I can say.

For the record, a business main goal is to make money. If a product is flying off the shelves, they do not drop the price. They only drop the price when sales slow down, they are about to discontinue a product, or another company comes with something similar but sells it at a lower price. The MPC 5000 dropped the price of the 2500..which in turn dropped the price of the MV. Now Roland is paying its customers $300 to buy the stockpile of MVs in warehouses.

In most countries, the MV is not in stock and is not going for the same price as the MPC 5K. These 'brick -n- mortar' stores will not stock the MV because it won't sell. However, they will special order it for you. I live in Japan where they make the MV. They are not kept in stock at any of the retailers. The MPC 5Ks price is more than $3000 here and the MV about $2000.

Bananasass said:
You brought Just Blaze up, just so you can say he's a fool for not using 'your' mpc again. You should really just grow up. Who cares which producers uses what gear? I sure as hell don't care. In fact, most people use all kinds of gear anyways, especially the real pros (obviously not you).

Just Blaze's rant was about the same thing I was mad about. Akai should never even have released the MPC5k with that very first public OS. Version screw up or not, it just had way too many bugs. That was and always has been a legit complaint.
Just Blaze uses an MPC..everybody knows that. He bashed the MPC 5000 (when his problems would have been fixed by installing an OS update) and they you see him in Roland ads advertising their products. He really believes you guys are stupid.

Pros don't use MVs but it doesn't make it a bad product.

Bananasass said:
That's not true, every new OS update comes with a description about what has been fixed in very much the same way as the Akai OS updates.
Very untrue. I have been using Roland products since 1994 and they do know such thing. I can go on about all the bugs in the Fantom G 9which I own) but it has no place in this thread..and you can read all about the issues in its repective forum.

Anyway....this is not the MV thread. This is about all the features the MPC 5K has that the MV doesn't. It is 3x as long as the MV list. This is a fact.

slik da relic said:
$2549.00???!!! wow... what a drop... call me when that sucka's $1499!!!

da relic

it's 1,639.00 us dollars.... so sit by the phone :cheers:

Back