What the MPC 5000 has that the MV-8800 doesn't?

That's for trimming the original before it's chop or assigned.
2nd there is a preview button and you can set the start/end and choose to(or not to) permanently truncate the original later from the Sample Mgr. In any case the MV display is logically layed out it doesn't have to switch screens because everything is in front of the user. We can tuncate /discard right from one screen while the 5000 has to jump to the edit screen then a series of button pushes.

You have no clue of how the MV works. Your just fishing the manual looking talking points.

*Once a pad is on the clipboard the sample , layers and 100% of the pads parameters are restored for you at a single touch.

BTW- Jahbronie, once you actually discard the truncated ends they are not recoverable. Try reading your own manual. No sampler can restore a sample once it's actually discarded from memory....not even yo lil bugbox!

Undoing an edit (just parameter settings ) is one thing, undoing an actual Discard (deletion) from RAM memory is impossible on the 5000 or any other sampler.

If does, that means the 5000 is actually keeping everything in memory when it says it isn't.

Now go back and steal some more lines from my post. How bout that LCD Jahbronie.. I ain't forgot you lying lil snot! Post the details of how did the mod or admit that you lied! Catching you red-handed like that really has you in a tizzy! You've been trying to recover from that all day. Just tell us how you did it.

I gotta see this again...

jahromeao7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You are incorrect once more. The MPC 5000 can truncate a sample and undo it to revert back. So Ibased upon what you wrote, the MPC 5000 is the only sampler with this function. I don't care how you try to spin it, there is nothing the MV's undo/redo can accomplish that the MPC 5K's undo/redo can't. But it is not true the other way around which is the reason wht it is in my list. Hey liar....the You Tube Video is coming....

I shot this with my phone...to post it quickly for moyphee. When I promised better quality videos when I start doing tutorials in the future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_kcQR4_yUo

Liar....did you see this? As every individual that uses an MPC 5000 knows..you can adjust the start and end points using the Q-links, then you open the edit window to discard (truncate) the start/end of the sample. Once this editing is executed, the Undo/redo button lights up indicating that you can reverse this process. I pressed undo/redo several times to let you see what the MPC 5000 can do that is not possible with the MV.

Last edited:
Show the 5000 recovering data after it has been been discarded. You're only undoing parameters.

If you discard the ends from memory they cannot be recovered.

Where's the info on the now famous LCD mod?

You will never recover from that.

...and thanks for the support PMs guys.:cool:

I don't care how you try to spin it, there is nothing the MV's undo/redo can accomplish that the MPC 5K's undo/redo can't. But it is not true the other way around which is the reason wht it is in my list. Hey liar....the You Tube Video is coming....

Make 608 sample copies with individual start and end points on each copy without using any additional memory. You don't need extensive undo when your editing is nondestructive. that;s what your Undo tries to make up for.

Hop to it!

It's not my fault you got hyped up 2500 for $2500.

moyphee said:
Show the 5000 recovering data after it has been been discarded. You're only undoing parameters.
If you discard the ends from memory they cannot be recovered.

As I stated earlier and proved in that little video....you spread nothing but lies. I truncated the sample in the MPC 5000 and hit undo to return the sample to its original state and redo to apply processing again. So not only did I show you first hand that it can undo a truncated sample...re-read the MPC 5000 manual you downloaded on page 3 (#17). You will read where it clearly states that the MPC 5000 can do this. You are so into telling lies..you can't see the truth even when someone provides actual physical/visual proof. :) Stop embarrassing yourself. Show some proof that you actually create music with your drum machine.

The following features are benefits of the MPC 5000 that are not implemented in the MV-8800 (or implemented to a lesser extent) *as of 2 Jan 2009:
jahrome said:
1. 20 voice VA synth – parameters edited via Q-links (MV has 1 as part of the single Multi-effects processor)
2. 8 tracks of hard disk recording w/ automation – Export/Import 24 bit files (MV has 8 tracks of Ram based audio that goes out of sync with long recordings)
3. Most advanced swing parameters of any MPC to date (the MV will never be able to duplicate this unless they steal Akai's code)
4. 64 parts – can assign a different program to each track (the MV has 16 parts)
5. 8 + 4 Q-links knobs/sliders that send MIDI CC messages to external instruments – can adjust the tune, level, layer, cutoff, resonance, pan, attack, decay, and release of internal individual sounds and/or programs (synth and sample)- (the MVs sliders and knobs don't have this level of control)
6. Record and Edit at 960 ppqns plus 1/4 (3), 1/64 (3) timing note values supported (The resolution of the MVs sequencer doesn't come close and certainly not the timing)
7. Undo/Redo most editing parameters – functional even when sequencer is playing (update: The MV cannot undo destructive editing like truncate while the 5K can)
8. 4 buss multi-effects processor with 2 effects per buss..all linkable (had insert/send effects)- effects can be routed to any of the 10 analog or digital outputs – editable via Q-links (FX routing of the MV doesn't come close)
9. 10 analog outputs + 8 channel ADAT digital output, CF card reader standard (You have to purchase $400-$800 in expansion boards for the MV to have this...but these boards are being discontinued)
10. Can resample any of the 10 outputs (The MV doesn't have this many outputs)
11. 2 footswitch ports (can assign several MPC functions to)- (the MV has 1)
12. Ability to use the analog inputs and turntable inputs simultaneously (not possible with the MV)
13. Master EQ and Compressor (No...for the MV)
14. 2 MIDI Ins/4 MIDI outs standard (64 channels of external MIDI sequencing) - (not possible with the MV even with an expansion board)
15. Multitimbral Mode – turns MPC into 32 channel sound module (16 for the MV)
16. DVD Rom Support (no for the MV...but I hear some have tried/some have failed)
17. Up to 64 continuous sample tracks (no for the MV)
18. Cycle and Random sample zone play (No for the MV)
19. Track Mute Menu: Track Mute, Track Mute Group, Pad Mute, Pad Mute Group; all can be automated (sorry...MV can't do all of this)
20. 7 Filters options per pad (4 additional variations) – 2, 4, 6, 8 slope (options with additional filters in the 4 x 2 buss effects processor (The MPC 5000 is filter king...these MV doesn't have this level of control)
21. More filter/filter envelope, Amp envelope, LFO parameters (the MV has these but the MP has a higher level of control)
22. Patched Phrase (no for the MV)
23. Independent Arpeggiator for each track (No for the MV)
24. Adjustable LCD screen (no for the MV so you have no choice but to use an external monitor...without the monitor, the MV is not something you want to work with)
25. Simultaneous access to hard drive and CF drive via PC/USB (No for the MV)
26. Instant track mute for beat juggling (No for the MV)
27. 16 levels mode – velocity, filter, tune, decay, attack, layer (No for the MV)

Last edited:
moyphee said:
Let add a few more features to that list.;)

* The sequencer will still up when holding down the Repeat button off and on.

* No keygroups or multisampling

* Missing VCOs in the synth

* No S-1000/3000 or MPC-3000 support

* Hitting " overdub " or " overdub + play " often make a little jump that desynchronise the midi when the MPC is in External Sync mode.

* SysEx events can't be recorded.

* Grid Edit:
After chopping a sample and making a program..I still have problems with playing that program in Grid Edit Mode. I get no sound when playing the pads.

Additionally, once this happens, it is no longer possible to step record or real time record while in Grid Edit.:p

* Changes Start and end points of your chops

* Playback glitches when programs in grid mode

* Pad latency while in Program Edit Mode

* some of the feedback based EFX (Reverb, Delay) tend to create a really annoying digital feedback with certain settings

* Jog Wheel increments still not picked up 100% in screens like program sample assign and mixer screen.

* loading programs while playing a sequence cause sync speed problems

* While in Grid Edit Mode- Select one of the recorded events without leaving Grid Edit Mode and press Window-Button...FREEZE

* "effects engine failure" message on start up

* ROM Folders may appear to be empty when loading synths

* Trim->Time Stretch - can't stretch from 60 to 180, snaps always to twice the speed.

* Song stuttering and delays when using effect events

* "event editing in step mode is absolutely buggy. Moving the Effect event was only possible in forward direction."

* If you delete a track while in solo mode every tracks remain in solo mode, no way to unsolo them.

* Holding play during preview produces stuck notes.

* Changes the duration of notes in loaded patterns

* " put the Arp to 1/16 & record something

Go to song mode, add the sequence 1 to the song , press play

You ll notice the Arp go to 1/8 instead of 1/16"

* missing VCO 3 in synth

* Hanging Envelopes

* Using Copy and Replace... the replace works fine if you only do 1 copy but any extra copies are merged not replaced

* " Using the Pad transpose function doesn't do anything - but if you go back into the menu and leave the 'destination' pad (on the right) the same (it remembers the last entry from the first attempt) and change the 'source' pad (on the left) it now works - but as soon as you change the 'destination' pad it doesn't work - you have to do the process twice and let it remember the value on the right... "

* When you copy a track the midi channel isn't copied with it.

* When you delete a track the midi channel stays there.

* When you use the track move feature, all the midi channel settings don't move at all.

* When you go to TRIM mode from PROGRAM mode it goes to the currently selected sample as expected. If you then change sample (scroll with the data wheel) and select the LOOP (f2) page, when you select TRIM (f1) again it goes back to the original sample you started with, not the current sample you are editing.

The above features are benefits of the MPC 5000 that are not implemented in the MV-8800 !

the original thread of the bugs can be viewed here.
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=100159&start=90

All of that drama for just $2500 phrase sampler ....FAIL!
The machine does not work.

I don't care how you try to spin it, there is nothing the MV's undo/redo can accomplish that the MPC 5K's undo/redo can't. But it is not true the other way around which is the reason wht it is in my list. Hey liar....the You Tube Video is coming....

Make 608 sample copies with individual start and end points on each copy without using any additional memory. You don't need extensive undo when your editing is nondestructive. That's what your Undo tries to make up for.

Still waiting

BTW- I (like most) have had the 5000 since the paperweight was introduced.

It works and does all of this. Now if you want to continue to spread lies...we can easily settle this. I can create music with the MPC 5K that you claim doesn't work and you do the same with the MV and we can post our music. I challenged you numerous times to back your noise up wth something concrete. So where is your music. I am sure Future Producer Members would like to hear what you are talking about...

Back to the list:
jahrome said:
1. 20 voice VA synth – parameters edited via Q-links (MV has 1 as part of the single Multi-effects processor)
2. 8 tracks of hard disk recording w/ automation – Export/Import 24 bit files (MV has 8 tracks of Ram based audio that goes out of sync with long recordings)
3. Most advanced swing parameters of any MPC to date (the MV will never be able to duplicate this unless they steal Akai's code)
4. 64 parts – can assign a different program to each track (the MV has 16 parts)
5. 8 + 4 Q-links knobs/sliders that send MIDI CC messages to external instruments – can adjust the tune, level, layer, cutoff, resonance, pan, attack, decay, and release of internal individual sounds and/or programs (synth and sample)- (the MVs sliders and knobs don't have this level of control)
6. Record and Edit at 960 ppqns plus 1/4 (3), 1/64 (3) timing note values supported (The resolution of the MVs sequencer doesn't come close and certainly not the timing)
7. Undo/Redo most editing parameters – functional even when sequencer is playing (update: The MV cannot undo destructive editing like truncate while the 5K can)
8. 4 buss multi-effects processor with 2 effects per buss..all linkable (had insert/send effects)- effects can be routed to any of the 10 analog or digital outputs – editable via Q-links (FX routing of the MV doesn't come close)
9. 10 analog outputs + 8 channel ADAT digital output, CF card reader standard (You have to purchase $400-$800 in expansion boards for the MV to have this...but these boards are being discontinued)
10. Can resample any of the 10 outputs (The MV doesn't have this many outputs)
11. 2 footswitch ports (can assign several MPC functions to)- (the MV has 1)
12. Ability to use the analog inputs and turntable inputs simultaneously (not possible with the MV)
13. Master EQ and Compressor (No...for the MV)
14. 2 MIDI Ins/4 MIDI outs standard (64 channels of external MIDI sequencing) - (not possible with the MV even with an expansion board)
15. Multitimbral Mode – turns MPC into 32 channel sound module (16 for the MV)
16. DVD Rom Support (no for the MV...but I hear some have tried/some have failed)
17. Up to 64 continuous sample tracks (no for the MV)
18. Cycle and Random sample zone play (No for the MV)
19. Track Mute Menu: Track Mute, Track Mute Group, Pad Mute, Pad Mute Group; all can be automated (sorry...MV can't do all of this)
20. 7 Filters options per pad (4 additional variations) – 2, 4, 6, 8 slope (options with additional filters in the 4 x 2 buss effects processor (The MPC 5000 is filter king...these MV doesn't have this level of control)
21. More filter/filter envelope, Amp envelope, LFO parameters (the MV has these but the MP has a higher level of control)
22. Patched Phrase (no for the MV)
23. Independent Arpeggiator for each track (No for the MV)
24. Adjustable LCD screen (no for the MV so you have no choice but to use an external monitor...without the monitor, the MV is not something you want to work with)
25. Simultaneous access to hard drive and CF drive via PC/USB (No for the MV)
26. Instant track mute for beat juggling (No for the MV)
27. 16 levels mode – velocity, filter, tune, decay, attack, layer (No for the MV)

Make 608 sample copies with individual start and end points , LFOs, Env., loop types etc. on each copy without using any additional memory.All of these parameters being completely unique to each copy.

I assume this is far outside of the capability of the 5000 being that it's the second time you've dodged it.

Either it can or it can't.

moyphee said:
Make 608 sample copies with individual start and end points , LFOs, Env., loop types etc. on each copy without using any additional memory.All of these parameters being completely unique to each copy.

I assume this is far outside of the capability of the 5000 being that it's the second time you've dodged it.

Either it can or it can't.

Wrong thread. This is what the MPC 5000 can do that the MV can't. Post that in the other thread so we can address it. As far as your music, you have been dodging this issue for months. Where is your music that includes these 608 samples?

We're arguing gear topics and will not be allowed to change the subject. Whether my music is good, bad ,or nonexistent is not the issue nor will I allow you to make it so.

I don't validate myself to anyone especially not someone using the subject to escape another.

So the 5000 is either capable of completing the given task or it isn't.

You forgot to add Chop Shop 2.0 to your list!

moyphee said:
We're arguing gear topics and will not be allowed to change the subject. Whether my music is good, bad ,or nonexistent is not the issue nor will I allow you to make it so.

I don't validate myself to anyone especially not someone using the subject to escape another.

So the 5000 is either capable of completing the given task or it isn't.

You forgot to add Chop Shop 2.0 to your list!
The MV has a chop feature so the MPC 5000s Chop Shop 2 is not something that the MV doesn't have.

You asked me to create this thread numerous times. Well here it is. If you want to address what the MV can that the MPC 5000 can't, there is a thread for that. It is located directly under this one. Stay on topic.

Your music (or lack of music) is vital to continued discussions. You only stay on the internet quoting specs and repeating what others have written is not really useful to this or any forum. I think people should hear you music and judge whether you are someone that should be listening to. If you were no trying to validate yourself, you wouldn't have posted a photoshop pic of an MV you don't own. You certainly wouldn't be spending all your time in the MPC Forums. You spend more time in the MPC Forums than you do in the MV Forums...that is really weird....prove you do some form of music or remain a liar and loser...

Last edited:
Stan, In the right thread, I will address any questions or comments as a service to the community:
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268481

I will "stop running' once you stop telling lies and/or proove you actually do music...Stan...

Back to the topic:

Roland US+Jahrome's followup said:
Roland MV-8800 Specifications
Parts: 16 (Instruments) + 9 (Audio Tracks) + 1 (Audio Phrases)--(*MPC 5000 has 8 tracks of hard disk recording and is not limited to 16 instruments. The MPC 5000 has the equivalent of 64 parts. You can have up to 64 instruments when using the MPC 5000. Plus it has up to 64 continuous sample tracks.)
Effects: Multi-effects (MFX): 1 (25 types), Reverb: 1 (2 types), Chorus: 1 (4 types), Mastering Tool Kit: 1 (only in the Mastering Mode)--(*MPC 5000 has 4x2 buss Multi-effects processors, 52 effect types which include reverbs and chorus effects plus a Master EQ and Master Compressor)
Sequencer Resolution: 480 TPQN--(*MPC 5000 has 960ppqn sequencer resolution! Only software sequencers provide higher than this)
Patches: 16 (per Song)—(*MPC 5000 has no such limit)
Controllers:
Effects Control Knobs: C1 to C3—(*MPC 5000 has 8 knobs + 4 sliders)
Mixer Sliders: 1 to 8--(*MPC 5000 has 8 knobs + 4 sliders)
Hard Disk: Drive 2.5 inches, 40 G bytes--(*MPC 5000 ships with 80 G bytes hard drive)
Connectors:
Digital Out Connector: B Optical type--(*MPC 5000 has 8 channel ADAT out standard)
MIDI Connectors: IN, OUT A, OUT B—(*MPC 5000 has 2 MIDI IN and 4 MIDI Outs standard)
Options (available separately)
MV8-OP1 Output/RBUS expander($400 but Discontinued)—(*MPC 5000 has 10 analog outs standard)
DIF-AT24 RBUS to ADAT converter ($359)—(*MPC 5000 has ADAT as standard)

Last edited:
When I get some time, I plan on breaking down the specifics for each feature/function for those that are interested.

With OS 2.0 the MPC 5000 will be able to:
1. Keygroup programs (128 keygroups) and import S1000/3000/5000/6000, Z-4/8, and Akai MPC 4000 format libraries.
2. Effect parameters will be fully automated
3. Global editing: New Multi-mode for editing parameters from selectable range of pads
4. Quantize pads and track mutes
5. Controller Grid Edit Window

...and more. This list is just getting longer and longer....

jahrome said:
With OS 2.0 the MPC 5000 will be able to:
1. Keygroup programs (128 keygroups) and import S1000/3000/5000/6000, Z-4/8, and Akai MPC 4000 format libraries.
2. Effect parameters will be fully automated
3. Global editing: New Multi-mode for editing parameters from selectable range of pads
4. Quantize pads and track mutes
5. Controller Grid Edit Window

...and more. This list is just getting longer and longer....

You will also see additional features and improvements to nearly every mode. Akai left almost no stone unturned (yes..a bit cliche').

And moypee..regarding your question about the 608 sample copies...I will answer that when I get around to it...but as you wait, just know that the function is possible in the $700 MPC 1000.

Before OS 2 is released..the MPC 5000 has over 27 functions/features that the MV doesn't. OS 2 will add even more!

Now that OS 2.0 for the MPC 5000 has been released..it may be time to bring this thread back. the 5K's OS2 spells death for the MV-8800....

im felling 2.0................
is it me, or did anyone else notice how quiet it has gotten
in other forums, regarding the MPC5k?

mjames4208 said:
im felling 2.0................
is it me, or did anyone else notice how quiet it has gotten
in other forums, regarding the MPC5k?
OS 2 is a jaw dropper. I can't think of any other workstation that has received an OS update on this level. Akai put a lot of work into this OS.

OS 2.0 biAtches!!!!!! MV-8800 doesn't EEEEEEEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back