What do yall think about the New MPC? Worth it or Waste of $?

think i will hold out for the MPC studio, try the software and go from there. heard its £379 in the uk which puts it maybe cheapest mpc ever

I think that kind of shit is a waste of money because it doesn't offer anything I can't already do with my software and MIDI controllers, in fact I can probably do more.

i used software for 10 years with a mpd then got a mpc 2000xl.

would never go back

Last edited:
I think maschine and the new akai mpc line is a great peace of technology, the way it integrates hardware and software together.. but I think it's mainly for people who are used-to using strictly hardware drum machines..

people complain about to many mouse clicking with software.. but really it's like the same thing.. the only difference is your doing it with a drum machine

seems a bit too tedious for me.. I would rather get a good midi controller and good software and make beats that way.. the software that comes with these new drum machines wont nearly be as advance as normal softwares

Whatever works for you. I enjoy the older MPC's. I learned to make beats on the MPC2KXL and now use MPD + Software. Have a SP-1200 for drums. I think the new generation of "drum machines" aka controllers + software are cool. But for me, its either extreme or a mix of the both... hardware or software or both. Certainly thought about forking out $1300... then I slapped myself in the face and took a cold shower.

I like the look and the workflow. Def a nice centerpiece for a studio. But... Overpriced..the software is too new and you can get the same workflow and probably better features and tested software with Maschine.
My take is ...if you want an MPC get an MPC. The Renaissance is not really an MPC to me but rather a really nice looking MPD bundled with an Akai software. The only 1up they have on Maschine with this is the Audio inputs other than that I say like what was said earlier use an MPD w/ Reason, Logic, FL or whatever and you get the same result. My 2 cents.
Jazzydrewproductions
On soundcloud

I think that kind of shit is a waste of money because it doesn't offer anything I can't already do with my software and MIDI controllers, in fact I can probably do more.

Neither does anything else. Surely you dont think everything except your choice of software and midi controller is a waste of money.

It is certainly not a waste of money. It is worthy every penny of my investment....and I purchased a new one from AMS 'after' Akai sent me the prototype.

I currently own the best MPCs ever created...MPC 2500, 3000, and 4000. And I can say will all honesty that they Ren is much more fun to use. The software is in its infant stages like all new products. But Akai is working daily to enhance the software and add new features. We should be getting another update soon. I wish I could say specifically.....but can't. But there are some really exciting things planned for the Ren.

If you are skeptical....then just sit back and wait for the product to mature. But there is no doubt in my mind that the Ren will be positioned as one of the best MPCs ever created...if not already.

The ren is a good buy depending on a few factors: 1. Do you already have a good audio interface? If no, the mpc ren is a good buy since it is also an audio interface. That is why it costs a bit more than maschine. If you don't need the audio interface then go with the MPC studio which costs the same as maschine.
2. Do you know/prefer the MPC sequencer/workflow? If yes, then it is a good buy. It's a good step for DAW usage for guys whonhave spent years working on MPCs and have countless MPC program files/sessions/samples on disks. It's an easy transition for them.
3. Do you plan on investing heavily into NI products? If no, then look more into the MPC. If yes, look more into Maschine or some other midi controller because you'll be able to integrate it more with their plugins.

having owned a mpc 500 i would NOT trust a new akai product until it's been out a year and gained a solid reputation. my 500 crashed all the time, heard horrendous things about the 5000. i have an mpc 1000 which has built a solid reputation other than the red and blue ones and it's great, the 2500 has a good reputation and the older ones due too but age is a factor.

I don't know. The MPC is starting to go through a few too many iterations for my tastes. If you're an on-the-go producer then an MPC is always worth looking into. Otherwise, as other's have said there are a lot of cheaper and arguably better software choices nowadays.

Akai has destroyed any faith I ever had in the company with the Ren for several reasons:

1. The MPC 5000. This should have been the ultimate MPC, but it's specs in many respects were inferior to the 4000. To add insult to injury, they released a very buggy OS 1.0, and then decided to fix some of the bugs with OS 2.0 and then they completely abandoned it. There hasn't been any further bug fixes in 4 years.

2. The MPC's have always been standalone hardware devices. The Ren is something completely different. It cannot operate without a computer. It is, in fact, a computer software program with a dedicated midi control surface/audio interface that pretty much serves as a "dongle".

3. The Ren's software is lacking in some very basic DAW features, and it has plenty of bugs. They have announced a bug fix, 1.3, in February, but the fact that this thing isn't rock solid makes me very cautious. Akai isn't known for making software programs, especially programs that host 3rd party plugins. Right now, the Ren is their newest hottest product. How long before they abandon development of this like they did the 5000?

4. The price is ridiculous. Maschine is about half the price of the Ren, and Native Instruments has definitely committed to developing Maschine. I know that hardcore MPC fans/users love the midi controller in the Ren package, but there is no way that anyone could convince me that the Ren gives you more bang for your buck than Maschine. We are talking about something that is really a computer program. I can think of better ways to spend $1300 when it comes to computer software.

I've really lost faith in Akai. I can't believe that instead of fixing the bugs in the MPC 5000 and making it rock solid, they researched, developed, manufactured, and distributed the MPC Renaissance. To add insult to injury, the second bug fix for the Ren will be available in a few weeks while MPC 5000 users have been waiting for 4 years for a new OS.

Blackpads.jpg

re

not worth it for me. it might be great for some, but i already have the perfect mpcs and its too pricey for what you get (ren, i havent used the studio yet).

kb420 said:
4. The price is ridiculous. Maschine is about half the price of the Ren, and Native Instruments has definitely committed to developing Maschine. I know that hardcore MPC fans/users love the midi controller in the Ren package, but there is no way that anyone could convince me that the Ren gives you more bang for your buck than Maschine. We are talking about something that is really a computer program. I can think of better ways to spend $1300 when it comes to computer software.

The Ren is not Maschine. There is a huge difference in the Ren's controller and Maschine's controller. The Ren is a 10 lb MPC, with touch sensitive knobs, and adjustable LCD, smooth data dial, and the best pads ever seen on an MPC. Not to include the audio/MIDI I/O and the power USB ports. Anybody that has actually held the Ren in their hands can see the Ren's controller is on a completely different level than Maschine's.

If you want to talk Maschine, then compare it with the MPC Studio which is in the same price range.

As far as support, the Ren is shaping up to be the best supported MPC ever. When 1.3 is released this month, that will be 3 updates in 6 months. There are additional updates coming that will continue to advance the Ren/Studio.

It is certainly not a waste of money. It is worthy every penny of my investment....and I purchased a new one from AMS 'after' Akai sent me the prototype.

I currently own the best MPCs ever created...MPC 2500, 3000, and 4000. And I can say will all honesty that they Ren is much more fun to use. The software is in its infant stages like all new products. But Akai is working daily to enhance the software and add new features. We should be getting another update soon. I wish I could say specifically.....but can't. But there are some really exciting things planned for the Ren.

If you are skeptical....then just sit back and wait for the product to mature. But there is no doubt in my mind that the Ren will be positioned as one of the best MPCs ever created...if not already.

I'm glad you're optimistic about the new controller, but people familiar with Akai's last decade of service and support have reason to be wary of investing in their products. Case in point, the MPC 5000. It was also hailed as being "the best" MPC ever created,Akai's flagship product.It too was rushed to the market amid great fanfare, celebrity endorsements,etc. It too was introduced with numerous bugs,some were fixed,many were not.The numerous updates you mentioned the Ren receiving were not enhancements they were bug fixes,critical bug fixes because the product they shipped was severely crippled by software defects.

The worse part of the Ren/MPC story is that Akai promised to support the customers who had purchased the 5000 just as they are promising to support the Ren. Yet after they sold the remaining stock of their 5000's they abruptly announced that the product was discontinued. I understand that products occasionally are discontinued,but the worse part s that they also discontinued support and refused to even fix the numerous flaws that existed in their once flagship product!

Do I sound like a bitter customer who sank $1,800 into a product only to see it abruptly abandoned? No, I am not. I do however feel sorry for those that did and am very careful in dealing with companies who engage in such shady practices.

The MPC 5000 is just one example of Akai's poor service in recent years. There are numerous others such as the MPC 1000 pad flaw fiasco in which they charged customers $180 to fix defective pads which were shipped with the new units.

The MPC line has a rich, historic significance but in its current incarnation it is in a desperate cash grab mode. It is high on hype, short on substance and severely diluted. The fact that the MPC 4000 is way better than the MPC 5000 tells me a lot. Akai is moving backwards.

I am a long time Sonar user and while nothing will ever replace Sonar for me I have to say that I find the MPC Renaissance fun and refreshing to work on. I definitely recommend giving it a try it isn't for everyone but no piece of software/hardware is.

Back