What do yall think about the New MPC? Worth it or Waste of $?

TonyBlu

So it looks like the MPC Renaissance dropped recently, and I'm seeing quite a few producers (B. Cox, Jermaine Dupri, etc) jump on it. Wondering if yall think its worth purchasing or just a $1200 drum midi controller/hardware sampler?

Reason I ask is because I have a midi controller and drum machine and they suite me fine, but also, I think you could get Maschine for way less with pretty much the same features.

But also, some people still prefer having hardware with their synthesizers or modules. I'm starting to find that not as effective anymore because if you haven't noticed, say you have a track done on reason with 30 tracks, and you create a track on the mpc with 30 tracks, you still have to track out the beat on the mpc one by one which can really slow things down. With something like Reason or FL Studio, once you are done with the track, you can bounce straight to .wav or .aiff.

So I just wanted to you guys thoughts?

If you're familiar with the MPC OS and it's something you actually like and can work with, it could be a worthy purchase. If you're just looking for shit to add to the studio, I'd pass.

Just get an MPD. I used to work on a 2000XL then a 1000. Today there is no use for those unless you just refuse to move on or you're more comfortable with hardware.

If you want one just for the sake of having a MPC, go for it. But in 2012 you don't need one. I've seen cats chop samples in FL Studio just as good. And it cost $200 to $300. And don't sleep on Ableton. Go watch a video of Ski Beats using it. And he an old school cat. A MPC is still worth something because of it's history, but it's not in every home studio like it was in the 90's or 00's.

Waste............expensive ass MPD. Even the MPD 32 at $300 is over priced. I have one........only reason I haven't sold it is because people see it and go "damn.......WTF is that?" They instantly think I'm a beat making professional.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

It's all about Native Instrument Maschine.

Maschine is good for people who don't know any better.........like the MPC REN. THese big name producers don't know any better. And it's harmless for them not to know....whatever new comes out...they get it and go "wooooooooah....I love the sound of this".

That spark shit is a waste. DJ Quik hyping that waste of money ass drum machine up......got broke people saving up money for some shit they can get for free at better quality. Come on, now!

Maschine has some great expansions......I like that. Wish they wouldn't limit the expansions to just Maschine.......make it Kontakt player compatible...then it would be on.

Last edited:
For MPC workflow + MPC 3000 DA converters... yes. I think it would integrate nicely w/ my Reason setup. If you have never worked on an MPC you won't get the workflow and fun of using the Machine. I used the MPC2KXL for years before going MPD32 + DAW... I think the Renaissance is best of both worlds. Again, its not necessary, but if it helps you create and is fun... then by all means grab one. I will be.

I also own a SP-1200... and although its not necessary, its nice to run my drums through for bit crunching. They run $2K used... so depends on where your heart and ears are.

i couldnt imagine why I would buy one instead of a 3000 that is already a true classic and does everything I need and cheaper, for now.

Really IMO it's what works for you..sure the Akai MPC's have the history but so does Roland,Casio,Yamaha,Korg,etc..Everybody's hung up on the wow factor and that's cool (show's that thse companies have marketing skills) but it's like coming to the dance with the prettiest girl and wow that turn's head's but... at the end of the night you really only want to take the one home that's willing to put out!!.. so yes the Renn (when they get the bug's out will be dope) but it's not the only machine capable of getting the job done for as you should know ugly girl's can dance to hahaha... the bottom line is ..it's not about what you have (unless you like keeping up with the Joneses) but how you use it!! as no peice of equipment is going to make you dope!! If you suck your'e just going to suck faster and look better at it...:pointing:

Last edited:
dscf0273h.jpg

If there were as many options to choose back when these were the mainstay for making drum beats as we have today, then I could see them not being a neccessity. But since that wasn't the case, I chose what I thought was the best at doing drum beats & sampling with some added features that some devices still can't touch even after a decade of this model being out on the market.

To me the 4k is like the ASR-10 of the mpc series line of workstations. features like 24/96 capabilities & daw assisted s/w (ak.sys) made it to be more than eye candy to me.

This model has already been through a decade of service and folks are just catching on to what it's capable of doing. Grant it, it's not neccessary to have an mpc these days, but if you have one, consider it a worthy tool in ones instrument arsenal.

Very nice I myself have been a MPC user since 97 and I still am even though I use the MV amongst other things.. and yes there is much choice these days but I can remember when the Fairlight and the Linn drum cost THOUSANDS of DOLLARS that we as kids coming up in HIPHOP could not afford!! then with the assorted beat boxes (my fav being the GLI) and the Casio SK1 circa 85 (which I still have) came out that at least brought sampling and beat making down to street level.. Infact Roland had some great drum machines as well.Clearly it was not like it is today with your choice of DAW'S and new fangled hardware. would i trade my knowledge for the ability to make beats easier and faster? Hell no!! hahaha because that edcuation was invaluable and these days those lessons's are not being taught.To me anyone that has an MPC know's the value and why it's important to them.I'ts not because Primo or Pete Rock said so it's what you could afford at the time and the feeling you got at SAM ASH when you tapped those pad's.. Im still rockin my ASR as well why? cause I want to and I can LOL.. no one has the Magic formula okay 50 had the Magic Stick but even that wears down after a while... These machines are CLASSIC and not to be fooled with!! so to all those that have come up in this NEWER GENERATION of HIP HOP that use Controllers/DAW'S to make beats more power to you but don't knock the hustle as all of your favorite song's were either made on a MPC or SP you know the same song's that inspired you to try and become a produce/beatmakerr (although the definition's of those term's are strickly in the hand's of the people who use them..)

Last edited:
I forgot to leave my comment on the new mpc ren. What I've seen with the newer mpc's after akai was bought out by numark is that the old school mpc legacy was left out. MPC's developed under this new regime can't even compare to units made back in the day. And even though I'm an mpc owner/user, I wouldn't think about wasting any money on these crossbreeds because they aren't worth it.

There's no hate in what I'm saying, this is just my observations from seeing things change over the years with these products. And the conclusion to that is, it ain't good with what I'd like to say. Need I start with the outcome of the mpc 5000?

Back