What Can MPC do that Maschine can't?

I think the major difference is that traditional 'sound'.....some things just can't be duplicated...and I think the MPC has a sound that separates from others....other than that it looks like minor.

Have a soul!

No drum machines has a soul. Maschine doesnt handle midi sequencing the way the MPC does. This is simple, its a different groovebox but can accomplish similar results. This Sound argument......give me an A/B test with some real proof. Sound is a subjective quality that requires context.

I've used MPC's since 1999 and recently purchased a Maschine and for my work flow the Maschine wins hands down for me. I hated tracking out my beats on the MPC to pro tools and now on the Maschine its done with 2 simple steps. I still love MPC's but the now its much easier for me to go to another studio and take my Maschine with me with no problem. I've also done beats in my car.

Being a software sampler, Maschine doesn't have a sound of it's own. It's sound is primarily dependent on the quality of the users soundcard or interface and the noise from the computer itself. So unlike hardware samplers that have a consistent sound signature for a given model, every Maschine install will sound different from rig to rig.

Well I have the maschine and I have used only the mpc 2000 xl and a 4000, I know I'm bias because I perfer software (I just don't believe that working EXTRA hard makes you a better producer)

I make beats inside fl 9 (with the drums/samples done inside my maschine then tracked out into studio one) real simple and minal work done

Its less work than tracking each track into protools but same result

I doubt the "sound" is different. Honestly I think that's a load of crap. They both trigger a sound. And if it's the same damn "sound file", it's the same sound. I doubt the MPC adds "warmth" or anything the way certain hardware compressors do. If i'm mistaken please let me know, i don't use an MPC... but I just doubt it honestly "adds" anything just by running a sound through it.

The only thing I think it "adds" is the "feel" of it. Like for instance, I own an MPD18. I used to program my drums on my midi keyboard. Now I strictly program them on the MPD.. just because of the feel. Honestly.. it's the same sound, and the same thing is achieved no matter which I use... but I honestly get an "extra feeling" when I use the MPD18. I feel like the drums are hot. And if I did the same drums on my keyboard... they don't feel like they bump the same. I would suspect that's the only "added sound" you get when comparing MPC and Maschine.

I doubt the "sound" is different. Honestly I think that's a load of crap. They both trigger a sound. And if it's the same damn "sound file", it's the same sound. I doubt the MPC adds "warmth" or anything the way certain hardware compressors do. If i'm mistaken please let me know, i don't use an MPC... but I just doubt it honestly "adds" anything just by running a sound through it.

The only thing I think it "adds" is the "feel" of it. Like for instance, I own an MPD18. I used to program my drums on my midi keyboard. Now I strictly program them on the MPD.. just because of the feel. Honestly.. it's the same sound, and the same thing is achieved no matter which I use... but I honestly get an "extra feeling" when I use the MPD18. I feel like the drums are hot. And if I did the same drums on my keyboard... they don't feel like they bump the same. I would suspect that's the only "added sound" you get when comparing MPC and Maschine.

The mpd and the mpc are totally not comparable for a sound comparison. The mpc has its own "soundcard" for processing sounds. The mpd does nothing to the sound whatsoever.

I dont know what you mother****s are talking about when it comes to a MPC and Maschine, I mean Maschine is cool, Im going to buy one, but Im a MPC owner and user, I had a MPD32 and a MPK49 now I have a MPC3000 and a Yamaha Motif ES6, now...Using the MPK and MPD together with Reason gave me that MPC feel until I bought a MPC, my 1st MPC was a MPC2500....I freaked that and figured out how to use it and make beats and coming from Software, just the sound, sampling, and everything that makes a MPC an MPC just is better, who wants to sit in front of a computer and play with something that emulates the sound of the MPC60? I mean seriously, you guys talk about Maschine, but its trying to emulate the MPC that started it alll....I mean seriously, I have a 3000 and Im using it with Pro Tools and the Motif, dope ass setup, I couldnt be more happier, **** software, I mean people who buy software based programs to make beats were like me at a certain point...Cant afford hardware, I mean who has 2000+ to drop on a MPC5000 right now...I mean I dont want one but you know what I mean, so **** it since you cant afford the MPC you buy a MPD 16 18 24 or 32 or whatever and when it really comes down to it...its all trying to get that MPC feel...where do you think MIDI hit pad controllers got their concept from? MPC's....In the 90's do you think there were MPD's and Maschines? **** NO, Niggas hopped on Tritons and MPC's...so please get the **** outta here with that BS about Software being better then owning a MPC...

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Youve never used a MPC before, the converters and effects that are on the MPC are way different then programming drum sounds into your music program. I used to own a MPD32 and I used that with Reason but when you run the same sound through a MPC, its way different, but youve never used a MPC, so you wouldnt be able to relate with what Im talking about...

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I've used MPC's since 1999 and recently purchased a Maschine and for my work flow the Maschine wins hands down for me. I hated tracking out my beats on the MPC to pro tools and now on the Maschine its done with 2 simple steps. I still love MPC's but the now its much easier for me to go to another studio and take my Maschine with me with no problem. I've also done beats in my car.

See...now thats cool, Im buying a Maschine myself...I just want it for when it becomes compatible with Pro Tools...I wanna use the Maschine inside of Pro Tools for sampling because it reads REX2 files...thats ill as ****, thats what sold me on the Maschine, I can do the same thing with the MPC by chopping the samples in Recycle and loading them into the 3000, but really, I just want the Maschine to have...

YES...I want a Maschine but I never said it was better then a MPC because its not...**** Maschine, I dont need it but I want it to have it just to make my studio look better, LMAO....

Last edited:
everybody in this thread, except focused, seems to be smoking crack.

what is this BS of the MPCs having a grittier sound?

so apparently running a sound through a software program and an MPC produces WAY different results? nonsense. the MPCs were known as some of the cleanest samplers around. what you put in is what you put out. there is basically no great audible difference in sound quality between software and an MPC.

the myth basically comes from the fact that a lot of classics were made using the MPC. at that time people were using a whole host of different production techniques from what they sampled (aka not youtube vids or low quality mp3s or wack drums from drum packs) to what medium and how they recorded the track. now EVERYTHING is basically done in software in comparison when people were mostly working with hardware. so yeah there is a different sound. but this BS of attributing that warm gritty sound to just the MPC is just ridiculous.

ironically enough a couple of people have mentioned the sp303 up here. and that thing DOES actually have more of a unique character than the MPCs. that's because it's got a shit load of fx including a lo-fi mode and a vinyl sim mode with compression.

everybody in this thread, except focused, seems to be smoking crack.

what is this BS of the MPCs having a grittier sound?

so apparently running a sound through a software program and an MPC produces WAY different results? nonsense. the MPCs were known as some of the cleanest samplers around. what you put in is what you put out. there is basically no great audible difference in sound quality between software and an MPC.

the myth basically comes from the fact that a lot of classics were made using the MPC. at that time people were using a whole host of different production techniques from what they sampled (aka not youtube vids or low quality mp3s or wack drums from drum packs) to what medium and how they recorded the track. now EVERYTHING is basically done in software in comparison when people were mostly working with hardware. so yeah there is a different sound. but this BS of attributing that warm gritty sound to just the MPC is just ridiculous.

It's not so much a myth in the way you seem to think, it's mostly just HOW people use their gear.

For example if you use a technique called 'ducking' you can produce a lot fatter sounding kick drums. Using that same technique on other gear that has similar or the exact same features (in some cases; software) you can really get the same results.

When it comes to sound accuracy the MPC really isn't entirely clean, but the illusion of it being able to produce a unique sound is basically ridiculous.

When people say they 'like the sound of the MPC', then what they really mean to say is they like what they or other people have been able to produce with it.

More objectively seen, more than like 75 percent of the sound you will get depends on the source of your sample and how you mangle it with FX. Screw up with one filter or FX and it'll stand out in a negative way.

In the end, and ya'll can read my lips on this one.. different or more expensive tools really do not ever make a better artist.

I'm new to producing and never had an MPC but i recently just bought a Maschine. I saw a lot of threads that compared them and it seemed like ppl just recommended MPC's because they were used to using as well as the brand name. So I was just wondering, feature wise why would you choose, say a mpc 2000, or 2500 over a Maschine? It seems like Maschine is a lot more convenient and can do everything an MPC can do plus more

I tell you this, and this is very important. what if your computer goes down and you have no MPC what are you going to do? Now if my MPC goes down I can still make music, I can take my Motif XS, Triton rack, Roland 3080 and 1080 and sample them through my Yamaha O2R 96 into the MPC and still make music. :) Some things you change and some things you don't, this is one of those you don't. If it aint broke............ YOU KNOW THE REST! I can't mess with Maschine and I don't like NI products. Maschine is not the product that will get rid of the MPC, it's going to be around a long time. Just another Product like Beat Thang where the company can make some dough.

---------- Post added 07-05-2010 at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-04-2010 at 11:16 PM ----------

Well I do remember in 2004 side checking to see if the MPC3000 had a different sound than the MPC2000xl, and it does. I tested with my boyz with the same kick and snare.

for people to say the MPC doesn't have a different sound I beg to differ. The chips in it is what makes it and the early MPC's like the 50, 60, 60 II, and 3000, had the set chips to give a distant sound plus it was 12 bit! Now you gotta be kidding me if 12 bit sounds like 16 bit! I would love for someone then to show me they both sound the same!

The MPC2000 burst on the scene, there came complaints, then the MPC2000XL was introduced which I have now and had switched from the MPC2000. The complaint was the screen on the MPC2000 and it sound to clean and had no grit. So Akai came with the MPC 2000xl where you can have both 16 and 12 bit sampling. In order to get that grit in the 2000xl, you resample the sound and it gives you the 12 bit like the earlier ones. When people say it has a WARMER AND GRITTIER sound all they mean is the 12 bit yall, no need to get crazy!

Last edited:
things break all the time tho. it happens. i think you should check the maschine out, its actually real cool to use. ive never had an mpc, thats y i made this thread to see why so many ppl stick with their mpc. i still look at it time to time, and may get one one day but i still don't really see the advantages of an mpc, especially since u still have to track out, and its not portable. i can take the maschine anywhere and i travel somewhat often do this thing is perfect for me right now.

a mpc is portable u have the mpc that runs on batteries. and try to pull out a laptop and a machine on a plane or bus and see how cramped u are. having to use the machine with the compuer is the only thing killing it for me. i am already close to getting rid of my pc and doing everything on a digital hardware workstation but i'm too scared of that transformation. im not knocking machine its just not for me i hate working on a pc.

things break all the time tho. it happens. i think you should check the maschine out, its actually real cool to use. ive never had an mpc, thats y i made this thread to see why so many ppl stick with their mpc. i still look at it time to time, and may get one one day but i still don't really see the advantages of an mpc, especially since u still have to track out, and its not portable. i can take the maschine anywhere and i travel somewhat often do this thing is perfect for me right now.

Ok, you started a thread, that's cool. Yes things break all the time.

For me I have seen enough of Maschine and it's not my cup of tea. First off let me give you a lil history. I am not messing with N.I. ever again after purchasing Kore 2 with the hardware. It never worked and I had it for 3 weeks, poor support etc. I got rid of it and vowed never to mess with NI products again. I am not going to spend money on maschine when I can do everything I need to do with My MPC2000xl. I have two ways of making music. One is Using PT with the MPC to make music or MPK 88 with Record/reason to make my music. So I am good.

Tracking out? Well I can track out 8 tracks simultaneously with the MPC and it's nothing to me. I work fast with the MPC so it's cool.

Hold up you don't have an MPC yet can't understand the advantages of it? tisk tisk bee!

who in this world told you the MPC is not portable? Where on earth did you get that from my dude? I have an MPC bag here with me now where I use to take it to the big studio to track out, now that I have Protools I don't have to do that. MPC 500 and 2500 is smaller than my series and they are definitely portable. the thing is if it works for you, ok, but everyone is not going to feel the same way. MPC isn't going anywhere and Akai is just making better products, the industry is to overwhelmed with Akai pad products, Maschine will get a minimum of customers. I have the MPC2000xl, MPK88 and M Audio Axiom for my Laptop for Record/Reason when traveling, what on earth do I need Maschine for?

Last edited:
i meant to say mpc 500 on my last post im typing on my phone so my sentences dont always make sense. but the machine being more portable then a mpc 500? thats funnym machine is not small nor is a laptop and try to balance both on ur lap. i had a hard time balancing a mpd and laptop in the car but it was difficult and even more difficult on a plane when ur in coach and the personal next to u is getting annoyed. imma buy a 500 for convenient portability

i meant to say mpc 500 on my last post im typing on my phone so my sentences dont always make sense. but the machine being more portable then a mpc 500? thats funnym machine is not small nor is a laptop and try to balance both on ur lap. i had a hard time balancing a mpd and laptop in the car but it was difficult and even more difficult on a plane when ur in coach and the personal next to u is getting annoyed. imma buy a 500 for convenient portability

i never said that the mpc was more portable than the 500 specifically. of course its not because 500 just needs batteries. but it is more portable than the 1k or 2500 as far as using it on a plane or in your living room or pretty much wherever with ur laptop bus power. ive been traveling oversead and i wouldnt really want to pack somethin like an mpc.

Ok, you started a thread, that's cool. Yes things break all the time.

For me I have seen enough of Maschine and it's not my cup of tea. First off let me give you a lil history. I am not messing with N.I. ever again after purchasing Kore 2 with the hardware. It never worked and I had it for 3 weeks, poor support etc. I got rid of it and vowed never to mess with NI products again. I am not going to spend money on maschine when I can do everything I need to do with My MPC2000xl. I have two ways of making music. One is Using PT with the MPC to make music or MPK 88 with Record/reason to make my music. So I am good.

Tracking out? Well I can track out 8 tracks simultaneously with the MPC and it's nothing to me. I work fast with the MPC so it's cool.

Hold up you don't have an MPC yet can't understand the advantages of it? tisk tisk bee!

who in this world told you the MPC is not portable? Where on earth did you get that from my dude? I have an MPC bag here with me now where I use to take it to the big studio to track out, now that I have Protools I don't have to do that. MPC 500 and 2500 is smaller than my series and they are definitely portable. the thing is if it works for you, ok, but everyone is not going to feel the same way. MPC isn't going anywhere and Akai is just making better products, the industry is to overwhelmed with Akai pad products, Maschine will get a minimum of customers. I have the MPC2000xl, MPK88 and M Audio Axiom for my Laptop for Record/Reason when traveling, what on earth do I need Maschine for?

no i don't have an mpc thats why i was asking the advantages of an mpc over maschine. i just basically wanted to know if there would be a reason for someone to switch from a computer/maschine to an mpc, and it seems like its just preference with ppl because the features are similar. i had just bought a maschine when i made this thats y i was wondering. i think its tight, but ppl are so high on the mpc i wanted to know what was so special about it.

no i don't have an mpc thats why i was asking the advantages of an mpc over maschine. i just basically wanted to know if there would be a reason for someone to switch from a computer/maschine to an mpc, and it seems like its just preference with ppl because the features are similar. i had just bought a maschine when i made this thats y i was wondering. i think its tight, but ppl are so high on the mpc i wanted to know what was so special about it.

I don't think it's a thing that people are so high on the MPC, it's just there are people like me who love the MPC and it works for us. It's been around for decades serving the masses and helped to make hits. it stands the test of time, it's not just some mess up and crashes all the time, no. This thing is durable at best. It's a beast. I prefer the MPC2000xl over the other models, because it's compact and has no vents for dust to get into and it's a hellava machine. So the MPC has proven it's self, the Maschine just came on the scene, but me I wouldn't switch over to it, I would wait for Akai to bring something new. It's a trust thing not an on high thing when it comes to the MPC and it's proven it's trust and held people down. Maschine is cool, but it's not for me, again I don't mess with N.I. stuff, ever! Akai has so many products dealing with the drum machine, Maschine can't possibly catch up nor knock it out the box. Ive been using the MPC since 98, so this is where I am.

The MPC 60 and 3000 are so dam dope they won't even go down in price lol They cost heavily. You gotta pay a mint for those still this day and those are older machines.

4j3upi.jpg

CLASSIC AT BEST!!!

Again, the MPC does give off a certain sound because of the chips it has in it and the bit rate, now for those that say it doesn't I beg to differ and I can prove it. Dre, and other producers love the MPC 60 because of this. Those that say it doesnt have a warm sound think again!

MPC NEWS

After the close of Linn Electronics, Roger Linn formed an alliance with Akai Corporation of Japan to design products similar to those of Linn Electronics. The first result of that collaboration was the Akai MPC60 MIDI Production Center, a full-featured sampling drum machine and MIDI sequencer released in 1988. Similar in concept to the Linn 9000, it featured a large 8 line LCD display, up to 26 seconds of 12 bit non-linear sampling at 40 kHz sampling rate, 16 simultaneous voices, 2 MIDI inputs and 4 MIDI outputs. In 1991, the MPC60 was succeeded by the MPC60-II, internally the same machine but with a headphone jack and a less expensive case design. Known for its warm sound and exceptional rhythmic feel, the MPC60 and MPC60-II live on today with the addition of the version 3.10 software upgrade and the Marion Systems SCSI hard disk interface, both sold by none other than Roger Linn Design.

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/bragging/museum.shtml

Now lets get to the meat of this discussion, because there seems to be a lil doubt in the MPC.

Look at this new model that's come from Roger Linn, this is why I said I am not trying to go over to Maschine because SOMETHING IS COMING LOL lol I aint no fool. :rofl:

2eeflgi.jpg

Now if Ima upgrade and get ride of my MPC2000xl, I will do it for a better MPC Roger Linn based joint!!!

It has where you can hook up a VGA screen so you can see your whole arrangement instead of looking at it on a tiny screen.
It has

1. analog 1+2/3+4 IN
2. OUT MAIN 1+2 [FOR MONITORS] Sweet!
3. L/R out B
4. L/R Out C/- 1/2 analog Out
5. L/R Out D/- 3/4 analog Out
6. Standard Midi
7. Adat out 8 tracks out :)
8. SPDIF OUT
9. USB port, so you can transfer wav files with drag and drop :)
10. VGA Monitor so you can add a screen to it to see your arrangement without using a computer and stay here and do all your editing! No hassle of upgrading all the time.
11. 4 usb slots for (mouse, externa hard drives, keyboard etc)
12. An Ethernet port !
13. 8 Faders so you can mix right there.
And all the other yummy stuff that's going to come with it, this is the third version to perfect what he had in his second and first versions. This is far most the best. now I ask, WHAT DOES MASCHINE HAVE THAT THE ROGER LINN DRUM II DON'T? :rofl:

His first and second designs.

314dm4j.jpg

SO I'LL WAIT IT WILL BE A GOOD WAIT!

Last edited:
Back