What about the ASR 10?

So i found a "brand new one" for about 650$. Not sure if im gonna chop it, but thinking about it. Ive been all software so far. Whats your opinions on workflow, sound, effects, sampling features, and about the sequencer!! The machine have maxed out sample memory, but no storage options other than scsi, (and the floppy) I understand you cant bring wav files into the machine on the floppy's?

Not interely sure how i want to use it but im thinking of using it combined with my software too.
1. Sample from vinyl.
2. Sample sounds, samples and synths from Reason into the ASR. (bass sounds + drums too)
3. Make the beat/sequence on the ASR, put effects on stuff and warming everything.
4. Sample all individual tracks out from the ASR back into Logic for further arrangement and mixing.

The stupid thing about this is that i cant go back to the asr 10 and change anything, but the beat is made. + i have to do a beat completely done before shutting it down.

Another option could be to basically sample things from computer into the asr and straight out from the asr to another computer. might be dumb and have no effect but again thats why im asking you guys! By example if one would like to sample a 20 second snippet of a beat trough the ASR10 with filters and stuff on it, and directly into another computer with logic. would that be possible?

"Beat completely done before shutting it down"???????

No, you save you beats to floppy. That will allow you to load them whenever you want. Unless you are simply going for the ASR sound or just want to have an ASR (nothing wrong with this) it may be more trouble than it's worth.

You got me.. i really just want to have it, but also the sound + i think i can have some good fun with this setup, just found out this is what illmind did a while back so i guess it wasn't a bad idea neither.. could be fun.

About the floppy disks, thats nice if you could save the beats on a floppy, but wouldn't the beat contain more megabytes than 2.5? 2.5megabytes is floppydisk limitation right? Thanks for replying guy

re

you can save on floppys and seq dont take much space but you really want to use a zip drive for that. It is a really classic and great instrument and tons of people still use them. $650 is more than I would pay but Id say that is about average and worth it. One of the best samplers ever made. Cool workflow, effects, etc. Sequencer sucks balls to me, but many use it. To me, thats what an mpc is for.

I got an mpc2000xl too, borrowed by a friend but its something wrong with the program button, doesnt work, about to look for tactswitches, then i might sequence in that.

Ive messed around a little on the mpc with floppies but what i don't get about the floppies is.. How can it be room to save sounds and program on one floppydisk? do you mean: save all programs and sounds- to floppy then swap a few floppies ? fill em all up, is that what i should do? Then i guess, if i have a lot of floppies i can see that work.

It will be hard finding zip drive, and zip disks. What would be ultimate is to somehow connect a eksternal harddrive of somekind to the mpc/Asr 10 and use that for storage. ive seen people talking about 30gb drives and stuff but i dont know what they mean, or how what they use to get that.. Help on this would be appreciated

Not really. You have limited sample time on the ASR10 (or any hardware for that matter). It has a really efficient way of marking samples though.

Back