were will hardware production stand in the future?

I don't think these companies will start to discontinue supporting the hardware right off but I do think they will make the newer controllers very appealing and make people want the newest greatest thing even if they don't need it.Kinda like how a lot of MK 1 maschine owners went off and bought a MK 2 even after saying they didn't want to lol. When I log off line and talk production with people most of them still look at people weird for buying hardware then again most people also look at people weird for buying software too and do not care about anything but making money for themselves.

hardware WITH CHARACTER will always have a place, like the sp-1200, akai s950 or ensoniq eps/asr until emulators can do an extremely accurate simulation. clean units like mpcs (other than 60 and 3k) will be obsolete. i don't know if there's much money in cloning old gear so these emulators may never be developed. the maschine emulation is not convincing. i'm only talking samplers here.

on the synth and drum machine side analogues are the only ones that will be necessary/wanted in the future.

Who wants those samplers with character now? I think in terms of the kids are the future and most kids have no idea what an SP1200 or an ASR-10 are and ask about a mpc. I have kids who ask me what a triton is

Who wants those samplers with character now? I think in terms of the kids are the future and most kids have no idea what an SP1200 or an ASR-10 are and ask about a mpc. I have kids who ask me what a triton is

Even as old as the triton is, I consistently see it on stage at live shows typically on the top tier of a two tier stand. Usually a motif on bottom, triton on top.

Even as old as the triton is, I consistently see it on stage at live shows typically on the top tier of a two tier stand. Usually a motif on bottom, triton on top.
I still love the Triton series. I can't justify buying one right now or I would have grabbed an extreme long ago

I still love the Triton series. I can't justify buying one right now or I would have grabbed an extreme long ago

I still see triton classics and pros all the time, not even talking the newer extreme versions. I am talking about the OG originals:p

hardware is not going anywhere. We still use the classic guitars/amps/pres/outboard/mics, that are all older.

Exactly. Synths and drum machine sounds are easily replicated for convenience and have sort of ruined the market. Now everything is VSTs with one or two controllers opposed to a room full of hardware. But some people still lust to have the actual equipment and not a subpar computer copy.

look at 2" tape machines, 20 grand units were selling for 1500 or less a couple of years ago. Ive seen em rising back up but holy crap no one saw that coming, once people see how the variations in sound and transients with outboard converters effects their production some of those synths and units will come back, for now im storing mine with the intentions of havin fun in the future.

i don't think it's very popular on FP (from what i've seen) but i am in love with my Roland MV-8000, even though she has collapsed buttons, jumpy faders & other issues probably resulting from me not keeping her covered & clean. But if she died i would probably try to get the MV-8800 or just another MV8K if i had to. Drum machine, sampler, sequencer, multitrack recorder with CD burner. Not perfect, but i am loyal to a fault.

I agree. hardware might die out in studios, but musicians use instruments/hardware. There will always be some sort of hardware involved; especially on stage

Computers keep getting cheaper.
Midi controllers are very affordable, and even a usable audio interface is peanuts these days.
All of this is causing hardware samplers/recorders/effects to slowly fade away.

I still wonder how the mpc Ren market will play out. It's double the cost of Maschine, and Akai's own mpc studio.
I also wonder how Akai like having their own pad controllers taking mpc Ren market share.
Akai can hardly abandon the mpd line, and lose that market just to increase Ren/Studio sales.

Hardware will never die out because there's some people who are musicians and not mere "beat makers." Musicians buy instruments based upon two things primarily: Their tone and the inspiration / fun factor involved with using them. VST instruments and effects sound good in their own way, but no matter how much you treat that sound it always sounds unappealing to me, at least when compared with hardware. Also, producing music on a computer is boring as hell to me, no matter what controllers I have. Even with a powerful computer and a good audio interface, there's STILL latency when playing keys or hitting pads. This is unacceptable to me and takes me out of the "fantasy world" of creating music.

I guess it really just depends on how much of a tone freak you are, what your musical pursuits are, and how much money you are willing to invest. If you've never used traditional hardware (and don't know what you're missing out on), are a strictly bedroom producer, and don't have much money... then just do everything with a computer. You can get good results. If you have fun while doing it, more power to you. However, many people who are sound connoisseurs won't settle for doing everything in a DAW. Plus, if you ever have plans on performing live, what are you going to do? Stand on stage with a laptop? Sorry, but I'd rather give myself a cinnamon oil enema than watch that. Building up a gear collection is expensive, but it's well worth it IF that is what makes sense for you and your life. I personally find the workflow of using hardware much, much more fun and interesting than working with a computer.

The kind of people who think that there's no point in using hardware are usually the same people who rarely if ever listen to music on analog formats... people who only ever listen to mp3s and streamed internet videos with their shitty earbuds or laptop speakers. I feel sorry for the younger generation, who have never really heard a properly-mastered vinyl record played on a quality sound system. It takes a dinosaur-sized shit on digital audio.

Last edited:
i think hardware production will die out in a couple years when the maschine and mpc ren/studio get more advanced and sampler sound emulation gets better. personally i'm a few hundred from quitting hardware, i'm gonna jump on the maschine as soon as i get the cash. sick of tracking stuff out, such a hassle.

i think hardware production will die out in a couple years when the maschine and mpc ren/studio get more advanced and sampler sound emulation gets better. personally i'm a few hundred from quitting hardware, i'm gonna jump on the maschine as soon as i get the cash. sick of tracking stuff out, such a hassle.

I don't see hardware production dying out any time soon... there's been more new gear released in the last couple years than you can shake a stick at, and more is coming out all of the time. Computers simply don't have that "feel" when producing. It doesn't matter what controllers you have. There's some sort of disconnect there, and lots of people don't like it. Tracking stuff out isn't a hassle. It's a part of the fun. If you are worried about producing and recording stuff as fast as you possibly can, then software might be a smart choice for you. However, I'm a quality over quantity sort of guy.

Back