were will hardware production stand in the future?

dmajor100

Mpcs,tritons,fantoms and motifs are some of the best keyboards I have had and the triton was my first love and this was back in 1999. The year is now 2012 and not yet exstincted but are now the last option for music production for most current new comer producers. Maschine,abelton,logic and that dam fruity loops is what creativity has come dwn to or should I say can be afforded threw this economic crisis. Hybrids are now starting to br created of a mixture of software and hardware but in 10 or 20 yrs from now what do you think will happen to the pleasures of having classic synths and the hands on and really being alone with just you and your.machine and ur inspiration/ creation. Will it get more conveinant for everybody and compact or will hardward be revolutionized of become totally out the box and stil have the swme power as a daw,This is what I think most peopld want but there are those who still protest its the same thing as logic but just in a box. There will be no suprises to me but ill be patiently waiting gill I die to see what was and what is music production.peace out

tritons, motifs, etc are not really synths they are really just computers. true analog pieces will alwaysssss be around I think the digital pieces are just gonna be replaced by software and controllers down the line

tritons, motifs, etc are not really synths they are really just computers. true analog pieces will alwaysssss be around I think the digital pieces are just gonna be replaced by software and controllers down the line
agreed. There is no real reason imo to buy a hardware workstation in 2012 imo. How much can a Fantom do that something like Hypersonic cannot? What about Mpcs? They are fun to use but I think software samplers have a larger appeal to more people. Analog synths have their own sonic imprint otherwise I would say just go all in the box unless you want an actual hardware synth.

It will be for the types that want the feel and inspiration of something older. Like people that have antique furniture.

yeah theres always the people that cant even fathom not having outboard gear and physical knobs and what not lol.

Controllers.

but anyway, let me rephrase what I said about digital dying out. I think it will definitely die out in the studio but it will still be around with the price gradually dropping because of stage use. People who perform on stage arnt exactly gonna want to rely on an actual computer (PC or Mac) for live use. A dedicated piece of hardware will always be more reliable.

You can get an MPC for under $300 these days, Turntables for $99, Older Keyboard workstations for under $200. I think that will make alot of new to hardware guys start accumulating gear. It's no longer a need, but I see hardware coming back in a nostalgic type of way. All it takes is some big hit from some young producer who uses an MPC, a few EMU Racks and a Roland XP 50 and next thing you know, everyone who wants to be a producer with $1000 to invest will try to get as close to the same setup as possible.

Think of how much Scott Storch did for the boost in sales of Motifs. That wasn't as long ago as it may seem.

Hardware will always be around. Some people simply just prefer hardware.
Sure some will but I highly doubt workstations will be. Look at how often they are coming out with new hardware workstations these days. They seem few and far in between as opposed to software not to mention the price difference for the same sort of functions and often times more for a lot less. Analog synths sure I get that but digital hardware (Motifs, Fantoms, Mpcs, Tritons, Kronos, Jupiter 80s) idk how much longer they have. <style>.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; z-index: 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}</style>

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

You can get an MPC for under $300 these days, Turntables for $99, Older Keyboard workstations for under $200. I think that will make alot of new to hardware guys start accumulating gear. It's no longer a need, but I see hardware coming back in a nostalgic type of way. All it takes is some big hit from some young producer who uses an MPC, a few EMU Racks and a Roland XP 50 and next thing you know, everyone who wants to be a producer with $1000 to invest will try to get as close to the same setup as possible.
lol that's kinda true. I remember wanting a Triton back in the day at first because I heard the Neptunes used one (like 2002) then after trying one that is when I really fell in love. Never did buy one though.

I see your point but you have think about users other than our types. Keyboard players can be some of the pickiest bastards in the world. In truth most sequencers in keyboard workstations are very lacking compared to software DAWs. I stopped sequencing on my MPC years ago but have been using it as an overpriced MPD since but I can never bring myself to sell it. Even with Maschine and the new MPC being able to load MPC files I still would rather hold on to it. The Jupiter 80 (though very overpriced) is a great buy for a live keyboard player, beatmakers not so much as there are a million other ways to spend you money. If you buy a piece of hardware you have it forever as long as you take care of it. Software gives you more bang for the buck but you only have it as long as you have a compatible system around.

I will admit that a great majority of beatmakers buy hardware for the wrong reasons.

I see your point but you have think about users other than our types. Keyboard players can be some of the pickiest bastards in the world. In truth most sequencers in keyboard workstations are very lacking compared to software DAWs. I stopped sequencing on my MPC years ago but have been using it as an overpriced MPD since but I can never bring myself to sell it. Even with Maschine and the new MPC being able to load MPC files I still would rather hold on to it. The Jupiter 80 (though very overpriced) is a great buy for a live keyboard player, beatmakers not so much as there are a million other ways to spend you money. If you buy a piece of hardware you have it forever as long as you take care of it. Software gives you more bang for the buck but you only have it as long as you have a compatible system around.

I will admit that a great majority of beatmakers buy hardware for the wrong reasons.
I am honestly not sure why more keyboard players do not use software on stage. I see them every so often but it is rare. I think having a laptop and Reason or something like that that is stable as hell and just works well would be great on stage.

I don't think I would want to use a controller and laptop on stage to replace a keyboard, but I don't disagree that software has its advantages. I like the hybrid formula of a hardware feel with software flexibility. I mean as a Mpc 2500 owner I can be real and say that a waveform can be cut in software much faster.

I like the Mpc ren angle where even though it is software, it has the same mpc main window and feel.

I am honestly not sure why more keyboard players do not use software on stage. I see them every so often but it is rare. I think having a laptop and Reason or something like that that is stable as hell and just works well would be great on stage.

I've seen some of your savvy types do it but I think some of the older not as computer literate guys are probably scared to. If I was playing out live an 88-key controller, MBP and MainStage would definitely be a nice option.

I've seen some of your savvy types do it but I think some of the older not as computer literate guys are probably scared to. If I was playing out live an 88-key controller, MBP and MainStage would definitely be a nice option.

I consider myself computer savvy and still wouldnt go with a controller and laptop as first choice. I would be willing to try, but I would be looking at things like reliability also. Workstations don't tend to freeze, reboot, etc, and some keyboard setups are just easier to use on stage, then a controller/software.

Going back to hardware

I'm actually going back to an MPC after taking 2 years off and sequencing in my DAW. I could get by w/o it, but it just feels all uncoordinated like a right handed pitcher trying to throw with his left hand. Its all personal preference, I grew up on the MPC so of course that is what I"m most comfortable with.

I would be willing to try, but I would be looking at things like reliability also. Workstations don't tend to freeze, reboot, etc, and some keyboard setups are just easier to use on stage, then a controller/software.

True. You would definitely have to make sure you laptop is running well. I've seen some hilarious scenarios during DJ sets involving crashing.

folks are buggin

these workstations are kind of overrated but they aren't. they teach you all aspects of music production. it's completely different from pointing and clicking.

synthesizers are where its at. and workstations and mpc's and all that will always have value because it's like a classic car.

sure there are plenty of electric cars on the market, and eventually we'll get solar cars, but there are some people who will always stick to classic "Muscle cars" because you can't put a price on feel.

that's why an mpc will always smash on these mpd's and maschines. the mpc 2500, 1000 and 5000 series with the direct record takes your music to a different level. i went from about a five to about an 8 in terms of how i see myself musically.

tens are timbalands, neptunes, kanye's

elevens are michael jackson, hendrix, quincy jones, curtis mayfield., dilla
im pushing for an 11. ive got some bonafide nines and even a few tens, but i wanna be an 11.

it's like playing an rpg and finally leveling up.

why pay 2000 for a macbook when you can get a pc for about a quarter of that price.

computers get outdated every two months.

Back