Used SP-808 info (Zip disc needed?)

modornge

I just go this SP-808 Roland Groove Sampler at a pawn shop and it has no Zip disc with it. I powered it up and the screen goes through the SP-808 warm up, then says for me to insert a Zip disc. Nothing else happens, the only other button that lights when you press it is the shift button.

Question: do you have to have a Zip disc in order to check the unit for functionality? Any responses would be appreciated. Apparently you can download the factory samples for use online, so I was also wondering, Do you have to have a Windows computer to load the Zip discs or can you use a Macbook (via usb-Zip)?

Any info would be helpful, any info at all.. Thanks!

u do need a zipdisk!
i don'T think it will be that hard to find one. check ebay, local 2nd hand pc stores(that's where i got mine for cheap). as far as the downloads i haven't bothered since i only use it for its (deep) effects.

The SP-808 has no internal sounds (except for VA synth that you need a midi controller to use). Get a zip disk & start sampling. That box has killer effects, enjoy. PS, manual is still available on Roland's site. Get it.

Houston, we have samplage liftoff!.. Thanks!

This thing is useless without a Zip Disc! Once I put the zip in there, it's ALIVE! I am now stumbling through the process, and going through the effects, especially the "theremin" device.. Very interesting indeed..

Last edited:
Back