Turntable help

Nade

Hey all,

I Use the MPC Studio with a Steinberg 22 audio interface, and im looking to get into sampling off vinyl. I know that in order to sample a preamp is needed so I'd prefer to get a TT with one built in. I also know that unlike the MPC Ren a TT cannot be plugged right into my Studio and must be run to my separate interface. My question is how do TTs connect to the audio interface? Do they use an XLR cable from TT to one of my inputs or is there a different connection? I just want to make sure whatever model I get it will be compatible with the rest of my gear and that I have the proper connections.

Turntables generally have RCA outs.

How much do you want to spend? The range for new TTs is literally from $50 to $50,000+...
A good starter with some nice features in the $100-ish range is the Numark PT-01 portable USB model.

GJ

Some of the newer turntables include a preamp so you won't need an external; although a cheap DJ mixer can be useful especially if you can learn a 'flare'.
My own turntable cost me 12 quid from a junk shop... It works...
When it stops working I'll likely replace with an Audio Technica LP120 which is essentially a clone (albeit a little lighter) of the old 1200/1210

Last edited:
Probably not terribly relevant to this conversation but the 1200 is coming back yet again (1200G) - just announced a few days back.

Thanks for the input guys. I actually was able to get everything working. I went with a Stanton t62 and got a DJ mixer in addition. The only thing im confused about now is the DJ mixer. The AUX where i have the RCAs plugged in has no EQ. The mixer has 6 channels though all with 3 band EQ. Could I run it from the AUX to one of the channels to get an EQ on it? Is this the purpose of the SEND and RECIEVE? Im pretty sure this is normally to send your signal to an external device to be manipulated but can i use this to send to a mixer channel on the same device?

Ah. Not really a "DJ mixer;" just a mixer. Most DJ's would use two channels with faders and a slider in-between. If you're doing fancy-pants DJ moves, they're a lot harder/impossible with a straight-up rotary knob mixer.

Perfect for what you want to do, though. Just route the TT output RCA's into one of the stereo channels (3/4 or 5/6). Then output of mixer to your MPC. You'll need RCA to 1/4-inch (TS or TRS) adapters. Something like this: American Recorder Technologies 1/4" Male Mono to RCA Female Adapter Nickel | Musician's Friend or this: AV Link Dual RCA - 1/4" Cable 1 ft. | Guitar Center .

The aux send and return are for connecting an outboard reverb or other effects unit.

GJ

Ah. Not really a "DJ mixer;" just a mixer. Most DJ's would use two channels with faders and a slider in-between. If you're doing fancy-pants DJ moves, they're a lot harder/impossible with a straight-up rotary knob mixer.

Perfect for what you want to do, though. Just route the TT output RCA's into one of the stereo channels (3/4 or 5/6).

Perfect except that it doesn't have a phono preamp, and I don't think the turntable has a built-in one either - so basically that shit won't work right unless you either get an actual DJ mixer (which'll have phono pres) or a separate phono preamp unit.

True, it looks like the _T62_ (not the T2) has regular stereo outputs, but not line out, so a preamp is in-order. Unlike the T2 which apparently is a cartridge(!)...

Anyway, after that, you'll be golden...

GJ

Back