is there a new tool like the old Roland W-30?

It samples(12 bit) and sequences and makes sounds... Don't all workstations do that?

I almost bought that W-30 off ebay. It went for something like 150, but it was in Denmark and I didn't want to deal with the international shipping and whatnot.

Because Liam Howlett uses 'em, or because they're easy to use?

Unless u actually want a keyboard sampler - why not just buy a rack sampler with external MIDI keyboard - the newer samplers offer way more features than the W30, and have loads more sample RAM.

I must admit tho, the W30's orange backlight looks the pschidt!!:cool:

Maybe look into an MPC2000? The filters are not as good as the W-30's but it can have heaps more RAM and has a better sequencer.

I bought the w-30 recently off ebay and am still getting used to it. I think it's awesome as a MIDI controller, sketch sequencer, and drum sampler (RAM is too little for anything more than short percussion bursts, but the sample rate is lo-fi oldskool and the filters create some kicking sounds). Plus, it has 8 outs! Newer keyboards have a lot more options, but also a lot more $$. Keep trying ebay, one will show up eventually.
:p silly me, I didn't even know the screen on mine could be back lit (and orange to boot!). Mine must've burnt out before I recieved it...
deep grooves, high vibes

yea its a common problem with them. (and the backlights on older Akai samplers)

Back