SU 700 users?

Housie

Do any of the other SU 700 owners have any problem with the SU 700? Mine seems to **** up on average of every two or three hours....problems like freezing, samples missing, strange things happening to the samples, the sequencer not working, odd noises......it also seems like none of my groove functions work.....
I already sent it back once and they said they put in a new mother board but it still does the same......I was curious if it was just my machine or every ones?

I don't have one, but I researched it for a while 'cause I was thinking about getting one and I think most people have the same problem.

Damn, thats what I was afraid of....I talked to the rep about that but he claimed ignorance of any problems, telling me thats what all the guys in Toronto use them for live performance.....I kinda thought he was full of shit

There's an SU700 forum in Yahoo. You can ask there. But I never have any trouble whatsoever with mine, and a ton of people on the SU700 forum use theirs for live PA's.

I love my su700!!!!

I think you need the new operations system upgrade chip.Before I got mine, my sampler froze twice.Like Sonic said,check the Yahoo group.There is a ton of info out there.As for me,I have no problems with mine except one of my knobs is fukked up.Besides that everything`s luv luv:D :D

Thanks for the feedback. I thought they would of done the chip upgrade when I sent it back, they claimed to put in a new motherboard.......guess I'll talk to them again(baseball bat in hand).....do you guys find that the Groove functions(timing, velocity and gate time) make noticable differences?

Only when the BPM tracking is set to "slice". It don't work when the BPM tracking is set to "change pitch".

That works on the loop tracks , but I can't make it work on the composed loops,which is what I normaly use......Also can you guys make a loop(track) out of a single kick drum? I can't make a loop with less than two beats

you guys have just put me way off the su 700

is it really that bad with knobs and functions screwing up ? the reviews i read were very good ones , but im not to sure now .

:bat:

Get the damn thing man!!!!

This beast is awesome son.I will not lie to you.The only thing that it lacks is internal sounds.Add a keyboard and/or sound module then you can`t be stopped.period. I have this set-up personally and I am pleased with what I have.The midi implementation is kinda limited,but the box bangs within itself.:cool:

loop functions

If you're doing what i think you're trying to do, create drum loops off the composed loops, then you need to go in and change the loop length for the corresponding composed loop tracks. The default is 4 which is why your kick drum is only playing for 2 beats and then looping. You can set it up to 32 or 64 bars. The SU700 is an awesome sampler for the beginner and allows you to create some sick sounds but is quite limiting in the amount of samples you can use. I hate how there are only 8 loop tracks and 16 composed loops. Who the hell needs 16 free tracks, those should be able to be converted into one of the other two. Plus having only 8 scenes sucks too. Other than that the beast rocks which anyone at the recent session i had with S.O.S. can attest to.

Re: loop functions

headsnack said:
Who the hell needs 16 free tracks, those should be able to be converted into one of the other two. Plus having only 8 scenes sucks too.
That's why you hook it up to an external sequencer!

Okay now you're talkin'! Please let me know how this would work. The only other sequencer I have is Cakewalk but I am a newbie to the whole outside sequencer thing. Thank you for schooling me.

Ok. My sequencer is a RM1X, and it works nicely with the SU700. I use the sequencer in the SU700 like I normally would, then I switch the sync to external, and program the free tracks using the RM1X. All I have to program on the RM1X is one or two measures (however long I want the loop to be) and it loops the free tracks for me. When I hit play on the RM1X, the SU700 plays what I sequenced it to do internally, plus the free tracks that I programmed with the RM1X. I'm SO GLAD I bought an external sequencer. Not to mention that with a little work, I can get some pretty good sounds out the tone generator in the RM1X (I'm getting better at it, at least).

Oh ok, I get it. I'm not sure if I'd be able to do that with cakewalk though. I'm sure it's possible but there are so many different parameters you have to change that I think it may be over my head. It is good that you told me how you use your machines though. I may pick up an RS7000 some day and it is cool to know that I can still use my SU700 beats but now add new stuff on top via the RS7000. Thank you again. I feel as though I've pushed the SU700 to the limits. I've had it for almost 3 years and it's limitations were beginning to shape the way I think about making music.

Back