Starting out with an MPC 1000

bombay

Hey guys

This is my first post.

Im really serious about gettin good at music production. So to start with i got reason 3.0 and a midi keyboard and tried to learn on there. It was ok for a while but everything i did kinda sounded wrong and really i had no idea what i was doing.

Then i had the idea that i wanted to learn how to play an instrument so i got an mpc 1000. Cost me a shedload of money but i reckon if i get it down it'll be so worth it. Im currently playing about with the presets and making simple drum patterns.

All my beats sound off and i havnt got used to the quantise right yet. Im really confused at the moment.
I really want to get good but i have no idea what to do, or where to start. Everything i make seems to sound the same.

Can anyone more experieced gimmie some pointers?

cheers

bombay said:
Hey guys

This is my first post.

Im really serious about gettin good at music production. So to start with i got reason 3.0 and a midi keyboard and tried to learn on there. It was ok for a while but everything i did kinda sounded wrong and really i had no idea what i was doing.

Then i had the idea that i wanted to learn how to play an instrument so i got an mpc 1000. Cost me a shedload of money but i reckon if i get it down it'll be so worth it. Im currently playing about with the presets and making simple drum patterns.

All my beats sound off and i havnt got used to the quantise right yet. Im really confused at the moment.
I really want to get good but i have no idea what to do, or where to start. Everything i make seems to sound the same.

cheers

1st get rid of the Preset sounds, so you can make your own programs.
To get rid of preset sounds

Turn off AutoLoad or Create your own Auto Load folder with your Assigned drum sounds.

01. Press the [WINDOW] key in the LOAD from field of
the LOAD page.
The Load Setup window will be displayed.
02. In the Autoload field, set the field to OFF.
03. Press the [F4] (CLOSE) key to close the window.

After that, turn time correct (Quantize) to "Off". Quantize really sux sometimes, its useful mainly for basic beats, not complex ones. when u wanna turn it back on just hit the button 4 it & go from there

Select tempo & started recording your drum tracks.

when you are done, create a new folder on the hard drive/flash card, and save the entire memory into it. when you want to load the beat, you locate the project file in your beat folder, which is the file that has information about the whole memory you saved earlier, and you load it.

bombay said:
Hey guys

This is my first post.

cheers

keep trying different TC settings

bombay said:
Hey guys

This is my first post.

cheers

put the bars on 8 and the tempo on like 170, and experiment with that for a few days

Back