Standalone samplers,sequencers, workstations - guidance

RapAttack

Hello,
I've been producing hip-hop instrumentals for many years, using Reason and a MIDI keyboard (which also has 8 pads).
The fact is that I would like to diminish the usage of the computer in the process of making music. I also want to improve the work flow (for example, choosing a patch in Reason, then playing notes on the keyboard, then going back to the PC and editing etc). I would like to have one device that does everything, without moving between a PC and a controller. Of course that in the end some arrangement and mixing will have to be done on the computer, but that's normal..
Now my question(s) may sound ambiguous, I don't really know what to buy. The budget is around 600$.
Regarding the fact that I would like the device to be portable, I was thinking about the MPC 500 (although I also play keys and drum machines only have pads:D). The cons that I'm thinking about are: weak sample slicing capabilities (so the workflow may be a slow one), having only 12 pads instead of 16. The price is also pretty big.. The pro is portability.

So..

1.Do you know any similar samplers/sequencers/drum machines? I mean other manufacturers besides Akai that make similar machines. The conditions are: the budget that I've mentioned, portability (not necessarily battery powering), standalone, capability to add WAV files from outside via USB, a relatively easy and fast workflow, so I can focus on creativity.
NI (Mikro) Maschine is the only similar device that I've found, but it's not standalone.

2.I would also be interested in some more complex workstations, that also have keys and are standalone. Portability surely isn't concerned here :)

What do you recommend me? Thanks.

What do you think about the drum machines from Alesis, Roland? compared to the Akai MPC.
From what I've seen, they don't have extensible memory, USB input/storage, so you cannot use your own samples "from outside". Only the Roland SP- Series make an exception to this.

What do you think about the drum machines from Alesis, Roland? compared to the Akai MPC.
From what I've seen, they don't have extensible memory, USB input/storage, so you cannot use your own samples "from outside". Only the Roland SP- Series make an exception to this.

Yeah, most (if not all) of the Roland and Alesis drum machines are not sampling drum machines. I'd say that your best bet starting out is the Akai MPC 1000. CF storage, USB, great interface and features, etc. This would be great for someone starting out. As with all MPC's, it is very easy to use. Within a couple of days you'd feel like an expert, it's that easy to use if you just make sure to read the manual and experiment with it.

I just read and watched a video on Beatkangz Beat Thang; it seemed to be very promising at first, but from what I've read after that on this forum, it's a scam :)

So.. MPC 1000 may be the best solution. A drawback is that it's pretty heavy (3.45 kg)..anyway, MPC 500 which is a lot more portable lacks the chopping/slicing capabilities.
And another question.. (in order to use the computer as little as possible in the process of beat-making) is it possible to store instrument patches on my MPC and play them with my MIDI keyboard, after I hook them up?

Thanks!

The MPC 1000 is the best solution IMO. It's not very heavy at all... what are you expecting these things to weigh? lol. Compared to a MPC 60 or something it's a feather. (10.5 kg) It's also much smaller in terms of dimensions. The MPC 1000 is definitely portable. It can easily fit in any typical backpack. (I've carried mine around quite a bit.)

And yes, you can use multi-samples with the MPC 1000 and play / sequence them chromatically.

I'll definitely buy myself an MPC 1000.
Akai MPC Parts , Accessories , Faceplates and More at MPCstuff.com and Custom MPC by MPCstuff.com may be some good solutions(specially for used/refurbished MPC's), I'll have to see if they are shipping products here in Romania.

---------- Post added 05-13-2013 at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-03-2013 at 11:18 AM ----------

Ok, I don't want my questions to sound stupid, but I couldn't find anywhere some precise documentation or tutorial on the following aspects:

And yes, you can use multi-samples with the MPC 1000 and play / sequence them chromatically.

This one is really important. I guess I'll have to assign each wav sample to a note. Or... do they have to be assigned to the pads? This would mean that I can play at most 16 notes (or 64, if all 4 banks on the MPC are simultaneously available).

Another question: when I record (playing more than one pad), can I set it such that the sound from each pad goes to a separate track?

Thank you.

Why is the BeatThang a scam? It does everything you want & since it will run on batteries, it's pretty portable.

Another option would be the Roland MC-808. If you really like to tweak your sounds, then the 808 is probably the best option. Everything else, you may as well be on the computer because you'll be diving into menus, moving your cursor around & using the data wheel.

The 808 has 8 sliders & a set of buttons that will allow you to basically edit every part of a patch. The MC-909 is slightly better as you have dedicated controls for just about everything & a bigger screen, but it's physically bigger. Like the BeatThang, the 909 & the 808 include a 16 part synthesizer with 64 voice polyphony. They're about the closest you'll get to Reason in a box outside a computer. There are hundreds of pre-built instruments (patches) that load quickly. They're Roland sounds, to me that says quality.

Then there's a full sampler. You can do anything with it that you can with any other sampler, but I doubt it would be easy to load multi's.

Roland also has the MV-8800. Very powerful..... but I wouldn't call it portable. I took mine to Virginia with me last summer. I had to get a large Suitcase to hold it. By itself, they charged me almost $60 each way. Would have been cheaper to ship it.

I don't remember if the MPC-1000 comes with any sounds or not, but if you need sounds, if you need a synth, sampler, sequencer..... workstation, I'd be looking at the MC-808 or MC-909.

If you've already got a keyboard synth...... S90, RD700, etc... then maybe I'd get an MPC.

Last edited:
Jumping from Reason to hardware...I doubt you're gonna be happy with less than a drum machine/sampler/sequencer with sounds built in. That's alot to consider with your jump.

I can't go back to an MPC anything at this point. I've got a 2kxl I've used since 2001, i couldn't make a beat soley on that thing anymore. You'll have limited sampling memory, 1 note instruments spread across pads so you're incapable of creating any chords or halfway decent melodies, and your effects are going to be limited to the processors within the module.

Someone else suggested an MC-808, I'd think that's more of the direction to move in at this point if you want to do it all "in the box'. Plenty of instruments and a sampler/sequencer with higher quality effects that fit more modernized accomidations. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
At one point the technology in standalone hardware was equal to that of computers, but over time it slipped too far behind so you kind of need a lot of gear to even get close to what you can do with a computer, but more importantly you really need to learn how to use hardware Vs clicking shit with the mouse, like imagine I take your mouse away so all you can use is keyboard shortcuts, that's how different it is.

I use hardware for sequencing/sounds, and software for recording the output. With that said, unless you are a sample based producer, I would get a keyboard workstation if you are trying to do everything on one unit. I have a mpc, but i wouldn't use it for everything. If I could only have one piece, i'd prefer a keyboard with built in sequencer.

I use hardware for sequencing/sounds, and software for recording the output. With that said, unless you are a sample based producer, I would get a keyboard workstation if you are trying to do everything on one unit. I have a mpc, but i wouldn't use it for everything. If I could only have one piece, i'd prefer a keyboard with built in sequencer.

I'm not really a sample-based producer, but I use samples too (I generally chop them and create a new melodic line). So..I would use only the MPC when I'm away from home (also in live performances, eventually) and, when I'm at home, I'd like to use the MPC with my MIDI keyboard as a controller -that's my main concern, if I can "map" multisampled (instrument sounds) wave files to certain keys on the keyboard.. as easily as possible.

I think that MPC 1000 is my best choice.. all keyboard workstations cost more than 1000$.. plus that other drum maschines (Roland, Alesis etc) don't have the same format (speaking of pads), the same capabilities of importing samples and slicing them etc.

In your 2nd point you mentioned that keyboard workstations were a possibility for you, but it sounds like what you are trying to do is trigger samples or instrument samples into melodies. If that is the case, then a mpc is probably a good choice for you.

I'm not really a sample-based producer, but I use samples too (I generally chop them and create a new melodic line). So..I would use only the MPC when I'm away from home (also in live performances, eventually) and, when I'm at home, I'd like to use the MPC with my MIDI keyboard as a controller -that's my main concern, if I can "map" multisampled (instrument sounds) wave files to certain keys on the keyboard.. as easily as possible.

I think that MPC 1000 is my best choice.. all keyboard workstations cost more than 1000$.. plus that other drum maschines (Roland, Alesis etc) don't have the same format (speaking of pads), the same capabilities of importing samples and slicing them etc.

In your 2nd point you mentioned that keyboard workstations were a possibility for you, but it sounds like what you are trying to do is trigger samples or instrument samples into melodies. If that is the case, then a mpc is probably a good choice for you.

Yes, that but also playing "multisampled" instruments (like Reason patches or FL VST's) with my MIDI keyboard connected as the controller. Any details on this point are welcome. Thank you.

I never really got into multisampling as I had keyboards to play off of, but there are youtube videos and forum posts out there where people get into creating instrument patches like that.

Yes, that but also playing "multisampled" instruments (like Reason patches or FL VST's) with my MIDI keyboard connected as the controller. Any details on this point are welcome. Thank you.

Just a sidenote...I was in a pawnshop today and saw a Triton LE in damn near brand new condition for $350(was dusty, but no scratches or anything) if I didn't already have the rack, I woulda bought that in a second. Still thinking of going back for it. If you want to go the hardware route, there's tons of stuff available. You pair a Workstation Keyboard and a Drum Machine/Sampler, then run them to a DAW and you got a setup.

Last edited:
That is how I would go. Here in he Bay Area, $600 would can get you either a triton, motif es, fantom x, etc. As a mpc owner, I would rather have a workstation if I was going to roll with only one piece.

What you described is my basic flow, keyboards and mpc hooked up to a daw. I sequence with mpc and then record to daw.

Just a sidenote...I was in a pawnshop today and saw a Triton LE in damn near brand new condition for $350(was dusty, but no scratches or anything) if I didn't already have the rack, I woulda bought that in a second. Still thinking of going back for it. If you want to go the hardware route, there's tons of stuff available. You pair a Workstation Keyboard and a Drum Machine/Sampler, then run them to a DAW and you got a setup.

I finally bought myself an Akai XR20.

Anyone who has/had this device, maybe you can give me some tips on how can I set it to receive midi signals from a midi keyboard.
I firstly setted the same midi channel on the keyboard as on the XR20, it didn't work. I also tried to do it by setting the midi channel to "omni" on my XR20 (System Setup), just to be sure it receives the signal.
Also, in the System Setup of the XR, "drum in", "1 shot in" and "synth in" are set to on (v1, but I also tried with v2). It didn't work either!
Can the cable be the cause of the problem? I'm using 2 midi-to-audio cables, connecting them by an adapter with 2 audio "mothers". Logically, it should work.

Also, I noticed that you cannot assign pattern fills to pads (in Pattern Play). This somehow sucks, because you cannot switch to the fill exactly from its beginning, so its first beat will sound like in the main section (A or B).

Thanks.

Back