SP1200 Sampling Question!!

S

Seeeye

Ok, so I know to get the classic sound out of the sp1200 (or any 12 bit machine for that matter) you should sample into the machine with the record sped up (45rpm, 45rpm+8) and then tune it back down to the original tempo. So, the question is... Does it matter if I tune it down in the sp1200 itself, or can I just transfer the sped up sample onto my mac, or mpc and tune it down in there? Basically, where does the magic happen? Is it necessary to tune it down in the sp1200, or can I transfer the sped up sample(after being recorded into the sp1200 of course) into the mpc, and tune it down in there having the same effect. Please let me know... just curious.

Speeding up the samples going in to the sp1200 was because you only had 10 seconds of sample time. You worked around it by speeding up whatever was going in to accomodate for the lack of time. Then you slowed it down to the original pitch so you can use it how you intended. The bit rate was the same regardless. There is no magic happening, just improvising to use what is available. I hope this helps
Peace be with you..................Rob Mixx

Thanks for the responses fellas... robmixx: I know people sped samples up to get around the time limitations, but on the sp1200 and a lot of 12 bit samplers, a desired effect comes in when you tune the sample up or down. So recording in 45 rpm enabled you to get that tuned sound, while having the sample at a normal speed. There definitely is a difference in sound when you tune down or up(that glittery sparky sound that the sp is known for). I just wondered if it mattered which machine you tuned the sample down in after the fact of sampling into the sp1200... Mainly because I just want to use the sp for sampling, then transfer the samples into my mpc without having to detune them in the sp first..............no disrespect my dude. peace.

---------- Post added at 04:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

Obi: I'm really just trying to see if the sp's filters are at work and responsible for the sound of the detune, or are the characteristics embedded in the sample through the a/d conversion and the mpc will have the same effect when detuning the sample.

That sped up technique really only was used on the sp1200. most of the other 12 bit samplers had more than enough sample time. I have an EPS classic which I can get up to a few minutes if I want to or down to 20 seconds if I use the really high sample rates. The technique wasnt used to gain the sound but to trick the machine into thinking there was more time than there really was

Yeah but it did have a certain sound to it. I really like the BitF*cker effect in Shortcircuit. I use it all the time on 12 bit for that stuff. Sounds great.

Speeding up the samples going in to the sp1200 was because you only had 10 seconds of sample time. You worked around it by speeding up whatever was going in to accomodate for the lack of time. Then you slowed it down to the original pitch so you can use it how you intended. The bit rate was the same regardless. There is no magic happening, just improvising to use what is available. I hope this helps
Peace be with you..................Rob Mixx

Right and wrong. Speeding up the record when sampling was to give you more sample time but as you detune (slow it down) it introduces artifacts/distortion (commonly referred to as grit) in the sample, the more you detune, the more 'grit' you get which is the magic sound that everyone talks about. Sampling at normal speed does not add too much grit to it. Either way still sounds nice though.

I believe most MPC's are 16 bit. Why would you sample somethin' into the SP and then transfer it to a MPC?

I believe most MPC's are 16 bit. Why would you sample somethin' into the SP and then transfer it to a MPC?

Mpc 60 is the only mpc that samples in 12 bit. Mpc 2000xl has a 12 bit resample feature though.

And because if you sample in to the sp, you get the 12 bit grit but the user may prefer the feel of mpc so can sample into the mpc, you may loose some of the punch that the sp gives it but should sound relatively similar. 12 bit wont gain quality by recording it in a higher quality.

If i was using the sp to sequence i wouldnt bother with sampling it into the mpc, i would just control it via midi.

So basically you don't make beats on the SP, you just sample throu' it? That's a waste of hardware if you ask me. LOL

The sp1200 has a sound that cant be replicated. It does have a sequencer aswell so you can make a beat on it. It is very limited where as a mpc is more versitile.

Still some of the best beats in Hip-Hop were made on the SP. I'm down to buy it, if you don't make beats on it.

Back