Sp-303

B

Bmore_Sounds

I'm some what new to music production.
I usualy record live, on my 8 track, but I plan on buying a drum machine/sampler in the very very near future so i can make some beats...I was wonderin bout the Sp-303... i'd like to know what kind of sound quality it has, it's capabilities, and what other hard/software i might need for producing strong beats...i know Madlib used it, i'm not sure if he still does or not...

I don't own any of the samplers in the SP-series except for the 505 and 808ex, so I can't really give you any useful info. But as far as software goes, you ever try Ableton Live?

Each machine offers up its own advantages and limitations. The 404 offers more sampling memory, 4 more pads, and more effects than the 303. The 303 uses 20bit converters (404 uses 24bit) which gives the unit a more lo-fi sound than the 404. Both are very easy to use, but both have limitations. Sequencing on both machines is very limited and neither offers velocity sensitive pads. Also, each one lacks a display, so you'll have to chop samples using your ears.
I would recommend an MPC or SP-606 over the 303 or 404 because of these limitations. The 303 and 404 are more "loop oriented" machines. I use the SP-606 (which has its own limitations) but offers a ton of sample time.

The 303 is great. Its got an old dusty type sound to it. If your looking for clean hifi sound you should stay away from the 303. I do think its worth it to buy a 404,505, or 606 instead of the 303. The 404 works exactly the same and can still get dirty. But adds alot more features including a more functional sequencer.

thenightgoat said:
Each machine offers up its own advantages and limitations. The 404 offers more sampling memory, 4 more pads, and more effects than the 303. The 303 uses 20bit converters (404 uses 24bit) which gives the unit a more lo-fi sound than the 404. Both are very easy to use, but both have limitations. Sequencing on both machines is very limited and neither offers velocity sensitive pads. Also, each one lacks a display, so you'll have to chop samples using your ears.
I would recommend an MPC or SP-606 over the 303 or 404 because of these limitations. The 303 and 404 are more "loop oriented" machines. I use the SP-606 (which has its own limitations) but offers a ton of sample time.
So ......the dynamics???come in where? on PC?

VexaDJ said:
555, 606 and 808 all have velocity pads...

The mc808?
That's a very interesting piece for the money if it does.

Edit: Found out that neither the sp808, or mc808 have velocity sensitive pads.
It's a shame the mc808 doesn't. It would be a decent deal if it did.

Last edited:
OOOPS! soz I thought the sp808 did have vel pads..... sorry 'bout that.

Only the 555 and 606, then...

I own an SP-303. It's definitely awful in the sequencing department, but it's a great one-shot sampler. The best thing about it is probably its 26 built-in effects. But if you're looking to make beats then don't bother.

JohnnyTheFox said:
I own an SP-303. It's definitely awful in the sequencing department, but it's a great one-shot sampler. The best thing about it is probably its 26 built-in effects. But if you're looking to make beats then don't bother.

so uhh whats the grounds for that statement?? you spent a few minutes with it at a guitar center or you bought it and expected it to function like an mpc??

generic statement..

with that said

frantic im turning to your page..

"ode to the creator" is ****en ridiculous

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

you be the judge, bad sequencer, i think not.... although he uses a 404, its known that they're both using the same sequencer...

Last edited by a moderator:
djobserv said:
so uhh whats the grounds for that statement?? you spent a few minutes with it at a guitar center or you bought it and expected it to function like an mpc??

generic statement..

with that said

frantic im turning to your page..

"ode to the creator" is ****en ridiculous

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

you be the judge, bad sequencer, i think not.... although he uses a 404, its known that they're both using the same sequencer...

lol...I appreciate the love :)

But, the 404s sequencer is a little better. Adds the option of sequencing 16th triplets and 32nd notes and will chain your sequences. However, on the 303 you dont even really need to use the quantize. The response of the pads is great. You can just record with quantize off. And if your rythmicly impaired you can just quantize to 16th note and add a little air before and after to your samples and edit accordingly to get the right feel. All in all, both machines have adequate sequencers even if they are a bit limited you can make em work for you.

Back