So I got the Akai MPD24

L

lilbigjoe28

I just wanna start this post out by saying watup to the FP board.. this is my first post but certainly not my fist time on here..I've been browsing this site for months now and i finally decided to join because of the insight ive acquired from this site.. well anyway hres my question..

I picked up the MPD24 yesterday and i took it home.. when i got home i couldn't figure out what to do with it.. I opened up FL Studio and didnt get any response... I couldnt get different sounds from diffent pads.. In other words every pad played 1 sound at different variations.

Does anyone know how to set up the MPD24 so that it works perfectly with Fruity Loops..

Ive looked everywhere on this site for the answer and i still couldn't find it . so someone please help a fellow up and comer out..

Thanks advance for your help...

Last edited by a moderator:
*Hey man - I don't own the MPD24, but I'm pretty positive that in FL - you can find a preset that's specifically for the MPD you purchased. If you DO find a way to trigger/set up your samples via the pads, let me know. Not enough people take Fruity Loops seriously on this board homey - I'm starting to think I'm one of the few who know its potential. You can do anything you want with FL, my only complaint is the sound quality...

you could use the fpc (u may have to reconfigure the pad to note info)

cios u got one soudn in fruity loops

for example u got a kick drum

eahc mpc pad is playn it at a different pitch that is all

like ma mans said load up that FPC, just drag ur samples from the browser list onto what pad you want em on and you good.

Mindstate said:
cios u got one soudn in fruity loops

for example u got a kick drum

eahc mpc pad is playn it at a different pitch that is all

Exactlty.. so how do i change it so that different pads play different samples instead of the same one at diferent pitches..

Last edited by a moderator:
you most likely have the "16 levels" option enabled on the mpd.. this is what my mpd16 does when I have that button pressed... either that or your pads are not mapped properly.. it took me 2 weeks to figure out that I wasn't getting anything from my mpd 16 because the pads were not mapped to coincide with fruity.....I'm opretty sure that the mapping of the pads is the same for the 24 as t was for the 16.. look into the manual about mapping pads... but first make sure that you enable/disable the 16 level option.. I think thats what you're problem is here.

use your fpc like dude above said, i used to use fl and the fpc is basicaly what you need, its like a drag and drop sapler mpc to be triggerd wit hthe pads. the fpc is a fl plugin in the newer versions.

*This is interesting... so you guys are saying that assigning your samples in FL to the MPD24 is as simple as just opening the FPC - and dragging your samples over?? I might have to invest in one...

yo...just wonderin what is the fpc yall talkin bout???? and as for puttin different sounds or samples on the mpd, I think you just open the utility window and sync that with the program u usin.....ex. for reason I think you can sync the nnxt to the utility of the mpd and put different sounds or samples on the keydiagram at the top of the sampler.....but if anyone knows differently let me know cuz thats what im in da process of doin wit my mpd16.....which i will be upgradin to the 24 a.s.a. get some skrilla

Channel>Add one>FPC
If hitting a pad triggers the wrong sample:
Grab the pad note(i.e C#), drag it down til it says lrn, tap the corresponding tab on your mpd.
Hope that helps.
P.S. What I do: Save a preset with no samples loaded, but with all the right notes corresponding to my pads. Whenever I start a new project, I use that preset.

Last edited:
I'M GLAD I FOUND THIS THREAD BECAUSE I GOT THE MPD24 AND I WAS LOOKING TO ASSIGN DIFFERENT PADS. YEAH THE FPC WORKS GREAT FOR DRUMS...JUST REPLACE THE SOUND IN THE PAD WITH WHATEVER. MY ONLY ISSUE IS I WAS TRYIN TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO STOP THE LOOP ONCE I TRIGGED IT IN FPC. WITH DRUMS IT'S NO BIG DEAL,BUT I WANT THE SAMPLE OR LOOP TO STOP ONCE I LET OFF THE PAD LIKE THE OTHER CHANNELS. I'M SURE I'M JUST OVERLOOKING SOMETHING...ANY ADVISE

Can Anyone Help Me. I Got My Drums Mapped In Fl Fpc And A Couple Samples. When I Trigger The Samples I Can't Get Them To Stop Like I Want. How Can I Get The Samples To Release When I Let Of The Pad Like The Other Sampler Channels? Using The Akai Mpd24 By The Way!!! Any Advise

Lilbigjoe> You Can Map Each Drum And Sample To Your Mpd24 And Match It So The Pads On The 24 Match The Pads In Fpc. Go To Default Setting 13(name It Whatever), Open An Empty Fpc Preset With No Default Drums,after Dragging A Sample Onto A Fpc Pad,now Hit Edit, Strike A Mpd Pad, Middle Value Will Blink. You'll Have To Scroll Thru The Numbers While Constantly Hitting The Pad On The 24 Til You Hear The Sound You Loaded!! Repeat Til You Have All Your Sounds Lined Up Like You Want. Hit Preset +enter To Save On Mpd. Also You Want To Save The Empty Fpc Preset. Hope This Helps

Last edited:
If someone could make a video to help those that had an mpd24 with FL that would be greatly appreciated. A lot of us noobs are confused.

Step By Step Guide

Right im gonna try to go through as if you've just bought the mpd and need absolute begginers advice to clear this up.

1. Install the CD that came with your mpd 24. Going through the setup and all that.

2. Plug your mpd into your computer via the usb port on the back of it. Now make sure your computer has recognised it.

3. When you see the screen light come on itll have something saying trak-bro, in the top right hand corner of the screen you will see it says preset 30. Turn the dial until it says preset 12 "mpc 2500".

4. Now open up fruity loops and go to the options menu at the top. Click on the midi section and where it says input find the mpd24 listed in there. It will be the one saying "mpd 24" not midi in 2 or midi in 3. Select that and click enable below it. Now close the options box. If you tap a pad on the mpd then you should see a orangy light flash in a circle the says midi just left of the master volume on the main screen not the mixer.

Drums.

This is how i like to do my drums. Follow if you wish. Get up your browser on the left hand side and open up an fpc. Channels > add one > FPC. Now go through the presets in the top right of the fpc with the two arrows until you come across the empty preset. Now just choose a drum you like in the browser on the left and just drag that sound to any pad you like. It should now play when you hit that pad. just drag all the sounds you like in there and itll save itself when you quit if you've saved the project.

Samples.

Open up the fruity slicer and load your sample up into that (same as last time channels > add one > Fruity Slicer). Now click the button in the fl slicer thats got a knife on it and a few lines (the slicing tool lol). It depends how long your chopped sample is but i like to chop them 4 bars long and set it to beat. Now drag on drop each sample on the fruity slicer into the fpc pad of your choice. Make sure the fpc is empty again if youve opened up a new one!

Bassline

Now if your one of those producers who likes to do their basslines by playing them in on the mpd pads then dont fear. Drag any bass sound in from the browser on the left as a channel and on your mpd change the pad band to "C". Now hit 'Pad 5' and that is Middle C on the keyboard just find your key from there.

Hints: If your looking to do alot of sampling it can get annoying when slamming quite hard away at those pads to get any achievement of a loud sound. To help this click the button that says full levels on your mpd. This will make sure no matter how hard you hit any of the pads it will make the velocity of it 127 (the maximum velocity level). I know some of you producer who might say "It wont sound natural" But you can simply go in after recording and set the velocity as you want it. Its enitrely up to you.

Hope this has helped people!

Tonez Pro.

dude has 16 levels selected on the mpd just hit that button again and it will go back to regular.

and use the mpc 2500 preset so it works with FL properly

Back