Samplers for live purposes

R

RedXIII

Can anyone suggest some good quality standalone samplers that can be used for live situations. I want to be able to use it at home as well, but live I need something the just leaves things looping, has space on for my own samples, effects, etc.

I only intend it for basic use live as I intend to use it for inbetween songs when my bands tuning, etc. Plus the ability to play around with the sample a bit sounds like something that will keep me amused whilst waiting!

My budget is £400 roughly, the Roland SP-555 looks like a possible choice so far.

I keep on asking silly new questions, but I can't help it, just started production at college and i'm fairly new to it all, so be nice, i'll learn over time :D

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 555 would be a good choice, but maybe a little bit overkill for what you want.

Look at the 404 as well..

A great machine, with pedigree - and widely touted as an MPC 3000 killer is the Ensoniq ASRx. (you should be able to pick one up for less than £200 - giving you some spare change for something else ;)).

Its very intuitive, has sampler, velocity sensitive pads, resampling, good fx. Much more feature laden than any of the Rolands.

I dont agree with it being an MPC 3000 killer (i have one of those too)- but its a damn fine live performance tool.

The Ensoniq seems pretty hard to find and I would like to get a new sampler rather then something off ebay.

Any other good suggestions?

RedXIII said:
The Ensoniq seems pretty hard to find and I would like to get a new sampler rather then something off ebay.

Any other good suggestions?

There arent many new machines that fit your bill or budget. You might need to wait for an Ensoniq but the build quality is about 1000x better than one of the plasticy rolands. Very reliable machine.

lvngdead said:

I'm a 100% stage performance oriented producer, and I use two SP 808ex for stage performance.

The SP 808ex has serious limitiations but also serious advantages over other samplers, depending the area of performance.

It has only 4 poly, and spends a little bit changing between 16 samples banks, but it has 1 HOUR of stereo sampling capability!

Triggering samples is very easy, this is a totally phrase sampler, no good for editing samples as waves, but very useful to create loops on stage and adding effects to the LINE IN...

the effect section of the SP 808 is killing. This section effect can reach the posibilities of the amazing Roland V Synth section with no problem, and I have to admit that every day I feel amazed of the DELAY effects. They are so, so good. There are lots of fully programmable and bizarre Delay effects on the SP 808, best ones I ever heard.

For $400, is your best option.

That Ensoniq is next to useless in a LIVE sitch. Live needs realtime controllers and decent fx ;) ....The 3000 is even worse! They are both studio workhorses never intended for the stage (except in an ADAT manner).

Since this is for a Band to use between sets/songs I still reackon the 404 would suffice - cheapest/best option.

Back