Sampler Shmampler

B

Baloney Feet

I want to start creating some Nu Skool breaks and I'd like something that's easy to use, under 700 bucks and can really bring my Prophecy to the next level.

Possible Choices:

Akai S2000(If the price is right)
Emu ESI 2000
Korg Electribe
Yamaha SU7000(again if the price is right)

Which one of these would best suit me and/or is there other samplers that I may want to check out?

One more question; How would I hook my computer, a sampler and my synth up together? Would I need a MIDI through box then run from the box into the gameport on my soundcard?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a hint... the ESi 2000 is the same thing as the older ESi-4000 except it looks different.
I've got an ESi 4000 and it works great. Just for making beats, you don't really need anything too fancy. An Akai S1000 would even be good. You might want ot check out Yamaha samplers too. A3000, A4000, and A5000.

(note: i deleted how I said to set it up because I realized it was wrong)

Last edited by a moderator:
MIDI out of the soundcard to MIDI in on the synth. MIDI out of the synth to MIDI in on the soundcard. MIDI thru on the synth to MIDI in on the sampler.

actually that's wrong. Some f'ed up people have decided to switch what's in and out on a soundcard.
So your synths output should be connected to the "out" labeled chord on the soundcard and the in should go to the "in" on the soundcard. It's totally stupid but that's the way it is.

Hmm. I had a cheap sounblaster soundcard, and bought a MIDI connector that plugs into the joystick port. MIDI out went to MIDI in on my synth, and MIDI out on my synth to MIDI in on the card. I'm not saying you're not right, I'm just saying that's not always the way it is.

Korg N5 (hated it!). I dunno, I might be wrong.......I've smoked a lot of pot since then.

Liet - hmmmmmm that isn't the case with any cards I've ever encountered - but yea It could be the case.

I've never used a sound card that was labled backwards like that. MIDI out from synth to MIDI in on soundcard or sequencer, if there are cards that are not like this please direct me to them so I can write to the manufacturer and let them know that they did MIDI wrong, as MIDI is a standard.

Taos
www.djtaos.cjb.net

WRONG! THIS IS WHAT WE'RE ALL FIGHTING ABOUT! hahaha The standard is that the Joystick cable's plugs are labelled as what they are on the soundcard. so the OUT plug is the MIDI OUT connection. It does seem as though theres some descrepancy tho. So RTFM and EXPERIMENT!!! :rolleyes:

I do have a MIDI cord that hooks up to a joystick conection on a soundblaster but the cable and the card are packed away deep in a closet so I can't check. My Terratec's MIDI out is its output it goes to the input of one of my synths, I have worked with a few USB MIDI interfaces and a MOTU interface and the MIDI outs from the break out box went to MIDI ins on the Synth, and the MIDI out on the Synth went to the MIDI input on the Breakout box.

Perhaps there is a company that sold alot of incorrectly labled Joystick to MIDI Adapter cords. Who knows...

Taos

Back