Sampler for live set

J

jleigh1

Hi, this is my first post so I'm not too sure that I'm posting this in the right place...

I want to get some equipment to play some pre-recorded/pre-sampled loops in a live set and I think this means I want a sampler. I have the chance to buy a Yamaha A3000 Sampler for a really good price in used condition - I have a very limited budget - and the online reviews I've read seem quite positive. So i was wondering what exactly I would need to incorpate the Sampler into a live set in order to trigger some loops? (the other instruments will be drums, bass and guitars - and vocals)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Because its a rack you will need a midi device to trigger the sounds from the a3000. ( I have a a4000 myself ) so you would have to either run a midi keyboard or midi pads to it to use it. Also its not the best choice for a live sampler in my opinion as the knobs are kinda flaky and tend to jump around when selecting patches. What kind of samples are you looking to use and what type of music do you play?

Like solace said, you might want to look into getting a midi controller, one with either pads or keys, in order to trigger sounds from your sampler. Depending on what you might want to get, a 25 key midi controller should be able to hold you up for the time being.

-1-

We play kind of indie guitar music but want to mix in our electronic influences. We're into bands like tv on the radio, battles, radiohead . The samples we're looking to use will be predominantly percussion loops and some synth sounds, but I'd like to be able to maybe trigger some vocal samples. I have Battery by Native Instruments on my pc so i was planning to write some loops on the pc and play them live via the sampler. I also liked the fact that the A3000 could be used as aa synth and an effects unit for any instrument.

Thanks for your replies

well its a great sampler as its deep and has many options and effects but i couldnt imagine using it live. I am not sure what your budget is but my first sampler was a boss sp303 and i used it live as a dj and its quick easy and very effective as well being fairly cheap and small so you can keep it near you. Also if you have battery you could just use it with a laptop and a midi controller, i run battery 3 as well and its stable and if you added a midi controller it would work and be very cheap.

I am not trying to talk you out of the yamaha but i think for live shows theres better options.

Yeah, i think a laptop would probably be a better option but I don't think its really viable considering my budget.
What do you think the problems would be with the yamaha live - i was just hoping to assign different loops to different keys and be able to trigger them on/off as we play - ?

I've also looked at the Akai s1000/2000 on ebay - around same price as the yamaha - and the boss sp-303 which is a bit more expensive.

It really just needs to be something which can easily, and flexibly be used in a live setting.

I personally have an Akai S2000 which I copped for 50 bucks, a couple of scratches here and there, but it works like its brand new. No bells or whistles, just the basics which is what I liked about it. It gets the job done for me. If you were to end up getting an Akai sampler, I would advise you to get a pad midi controller, something like the Akai MPD series or the M Audio Trigger finger to get that live MPC feel. It would be good for triggering loops and any other sounds you would want.

-1-

Last edited:
if you have a lappy and it's in the budget, check out Ableton Live, it's great for this kind of thing, hence the name. www.ableton.com/movies. it's great for a bunch of diff things, live use included. it's also great for studio use, so you can plug in battery and do all kinds of extra stuff with the audio in there. just a thought.
LevLove

Back