RS7000 big problem with sequencing

mr.objects

I have a rs7000 and when ever i sequence midi with it, it will cut off the notes after 4/4. Like if i hook up a synth to it, and record in real time into the rs7000, the rs700 will cut off the notes after 4/4. Is there a way to fix this, or are the guys who designed this machine retarded? This is only with the rs7000, i have an mpc 1000 also, and if i am holding down a key while im recording, when it gets to 4/4 the mpc will not cut off the note, it records what ever im doing.

It might me a polyphony problem. Do all your sound get cut off or only the ones that are triggered at 1\1?

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with polyphony. you can press 1 key right at 4/4 while your recording in real time and hold the key, right when it gets to 1/1 it will cut off. the guys who made this machine are retarded. try this, hook up a synth midi out from rs, play some keys and record with replace or overdub it doesnt matter, when it gets to 4/4 if you hold any keys passed 4/4, it cuts it off at 1/1 when it comes back around. ive had to control myself from beating this machine to death. alot of little things suck on it, like the arpeggiator will shut off while you are recording after it loops around back to 1/1. did the guys who made this machine ever think that maybe if i wanted the arpegator to shut off i would shut it off myself? or that maybe when you record you would hold a key at 4/4 and want it to continue to 1/1. UNPROFESSIONAL MACHINE. if your into real production this thing is a joke. so is the mpc 1000. you need like a 2500 at least or better to do minimal quality shi+.

The guys who invented this machine are not retarded
uh, duh, are you sure? maybe there brain functions in a limited way kind of like yours for taking my words so seriously, its a figure of speech. also, you obviously dont know much about this machine and the limitations it has compared to real professional equipment. i mean what professional artist uses a rs7000? its junk. id give to some producer who doesnt know how to make complex music, he would love it, and stand up to anyone who dissed it. get away from me.

You're sensitive like Michael Jackson
hahahaha, i am. so. your dum for saying yamaha aint retarded. they are dude. or else these big issues wouldnt exist. i mean what were they thinking when they they said"ok, we are going to make a machine that has an arpeggiator that shuts off after it loops, and then we will make all midi notes cut off after 4/4. i tried the same midi sequencing with the mpc 1000 and when it gets to 4/4 and your holding down a key, it continues and doesnt cut it off. its a simple but big problem yamaha did. and like why would i want the arpegg to shut off by itself? what if i want it to stay on so i can keep adding notes? do you know how annoying it is to keep turning it on and on and on because the machine shuts it off automatically. i can say they werent thinking intelligent when they did this. I should sue.

Last edited:
Dude I owned a RS7000 and never had the problem you're describing. I wish I could help but I don't remember enough about the machine to tell you where to look to fix the problem.

Maybe try to do a factor initialization...

im not sure what ur doin, but make sure the sequence is looping... also, the keyboard buttons are multifunction buttons... make sure the mute button is not active... if ur that upset with the RS, i got a WHOLE $1 to take it off ur hands... i REFUSE to pay u and penny less!

da relic

im not sure what ur doin, but make sure the sequence is looping... also, the keyboard buttons are multifunction buttons... make sure the mute button is not active... if ur that upset with the RS, i got a WHOLE $1 to take it off ur hands... i REFUSE to pay u and penny less!

da relic
i want you to try this experiment: connect an external synth to the rs, midi out from the rs to the synth. press record, replace, with 4/4 and press start or play. now when it gets to 4/4 hold a key on the rs till it goes to 1/1, now when it loops you will see the note you were holding gets cut off when the sequnce comes to 1/1. there isnt anything im doing wrong, the sequence is looping thats how i record but it doesnt matter if its looping or not this has to do with the way the sequencer is made. also if the keys were on mute then they wouldnt be on keyboard function which means i wouldnt be able to play any sounds. i know how to use the machine this is a problem with the machine. if all you do is use the wack sounds in the rs and you never connect anything to the sequencer then you may not understand the deeper issues with this machine.

Last edited:
I'm having the same problems u r. If anyone hve any ideas let me know.

I'm having the same problems u r. If anyone hve any ideas let me know.
The machine sucks man. but then again if all you make is simple dorky hip hop and you use all the sounds in the machine you will really never know how unprofessional it is. im selling mine. you should sell yours and get an mpc2500. DONT BUY THE RS7000. DONT BUY THE MPC 1000. THESE MACHINES ARE FOR KIDS.

ahhhhh.....i was all happy about using the rs7000 with the mv8k, but you just reminded me why this machine just sits in the corner collecting dust.

Yes, I have mentioned this problem on the RS7000 forums and they said that at the end of 4/4, the machine sends a note off message to all midi, that's why all your notes get cut off.

I agree completely, the people that designed this are a bit retarded.

I'm getting seriously tired of not having a single piece of hardware that does most of what I need it to do without any problems or quirks. You figure in the year 2009, something like that would be easy.

And yes, a 2500 or a 5k or even a 4k is a better alternative than the rs7000.

I can deal with certain functions requiring a lot of button pressing. I can deal with not being able to edit each single pad in a track. I can deal with not being able to assign a sample with a key/pad strike. But no other sampler I have used has this retarded ****ing problem of notes cutting off at the end of a sequence.

Last edited:
ahhhhh.....i was all happy about using the rs7000 with the mv8k, but you just reminded me why this machine just sits in the corner collecting dust.

Yes, I have mentioned this problem on the RS7000 forums and they said that at the end of 4/4, the machine sends a note off message to all midi, that's why all your notes get cut off.

I agree completely, the people that designed this are a bit retarded.

I'm getting seriously tired of not having a single piece of hardware that does most of what I need it to do without any problems or quirks. You figure in the year 2009, something like that would be easy.

I can deal with certain functions requiring a lot of button pressing. I can deal with not being able to edit each single pad in a track. I can deal with not being able to assign a sample with a key/pad strike. But no other sampler I have used has this retarded ****ing problem of notes cutting off at the end of a sequence.

WOW, someone that understands.....yeah i was all happy about using this machine and then when i started getting into it i had to control myself from throwing it up against the wall or beating it to death. i mean how annoying is it when your sequencing some midi and you got a little tune going and then bam the note cuts off. seriously i had suicidal ideas after using this machine like damn all my equipment sucks and everytime i try and make some music some stupid shi+ happends. unprofessional. there is also this thing with the arpeggio on the rs7000, if you press record and press the arpeggio after 4/4 it shuts it self off, so if you want to try and sequence some crazy arpeggios you have to constantly turn it on, and on, and on. you shouldnt have so many problems trying to make music. it just kills the whole mood and then i dont even want to do it. i should try and sue yamaha for emotional distress.

seriously i had suicidal ideas after using this machine like damn all my equipment sucks and everytime i try and make some music some stupid shi+ happends.

yo man, i have been feeling that same way. I have so many sampler/seqeuncers but I NEVER BOUGHT THE ONLY ONE THAT WORKS !!!
MPC 4000!!!! Save yourself a lot of hassle and buy that. Couple the 4000 with a good keyboard (i recommend kurzweil k2000 or k2vx/ensoniq asr 10) and you will be blissful.

My personal guarantee.

i think i know the answer to this problem. What you have to do is hookup a sustain pedal to the rs7000. Hit the "Utility" button, and switch the soft key "foot switch" to "sustain". Now when you record make sure you are holding down the sustain pedal as you're pressing yor key. This should solve you problem.

You are right yamaha did a horrible job with this machine. It's hands down one the most powerful machines ever, but the hardest and mot unintuitive piece ever. What most people forget ease use is just as important as functions. Whats the point of having a million functions, if by the time you get to them your idea is lost. That's what made he asr-10 so popular. Power+ease of use=classic.

sigh... still im not sure what u guys are talkin bout... bcuz ive use the RS in alot of situations, and never had this prob... like i said b4, if ur THAT pissed with the machine, i got a $1 waitin for ur asses... and as far as it bein a toy? u guys are out of ur minds!!! a machine that came out in 2001 still can compete with 2days machines EZ!!! the 5000 aint nothin but a version of the RS in MPC format with 2008 features.

im not in front of my RS rite now, but after reading ur post again, it sounds like what u want to do is overlap the sound from loop end to loop start... i believe ur using the wrong record function... there is a "rec type" called "overdub"... turn the F2 knob from "replace", to "overdub"... try that instead of "replace" (ummm... that is what its doin... REPLACING your previously recorded note)... i think u mite need to use replace 1st, THEn overdub... it'll let u record on the same track without deleting the previously recorded.

i would love to know what YEAR u asked this question, bcuz in the early years of the RS, some of those guys didnt know much of what they were talkin bout, simply bcuz they didnt dig deep into the machine... ive been thru some archives on various sites for different machines (Just Blaze's MPC 5000 rant included) and the ignorance is crazy.

in 2009 EVERYTHING'S ez for 2009 machines!

the RS does everything u just mentioned here... lol... i know, bcuz ive done it... yes, the manual is a freakin pain in the ass, but ive had mine for 7+ years now, and ive overcome all the headaches i thought were company oversights... they were oversights but only by me, and of course parts of the manual... the function or feature were most likely there, especially simple stuff... the RS is LOADED with stuff... truly ahead of its time... navigation on the surface couldve been better... but with time, patience, and understanding, u'll have no prob usin it... nothing back then (sampling drum machines) did what it could... and i now have an 8gb solid state drive inside mine, so now i can REALLY f@#k with tha "big toys"!

DONT BUY THE MPC 1000. THESE MACHINES ARE FOR KIDS.
wow... i guess ur boy Boon Doc is a kid also.

da relic

Last edited:
if u dont have the manual:

HEY GUYS!!! LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!! AN RS7000 PDF MANUAL:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/synth/RS7000E1.pdf

also, i'd like to mention, make sure ur RS has OS 1.22... ive done enuff right now:

http://www.yamahasynth.com/downloads/drivers_software/sequencers_rhythm_machines/rs7000/updater/

The Phrase Recording Display
Phrase Recording has the following display pages.
 Record Standby (PATTERN Play)...(Page 78)
This page is used to prepare for recording performance data to
the currently selected phrase.
Parameters such as loop recording, the recording type, and record
quantize are accessible via this page.

Record Standby (PATTERN Patch)...(Page 79)
This page is used to prepare for recording performance data to a
phrase.
Voice selection and transposition can be carried out via this page.

Real-time Record...(Page 80)
This recording mode allows notes played via the RS7000 and
variations applied via the assignable knobs, as well as performance
data from external MIDI devices, to be recorded in real
time. Recording can be carried out while monitoring playback of
other tracks.

Real-time Record: Replace...(Page 80)
Any previous data in the recorded track will be erased (overwritten)
and replaced by the new performance data. This is
handy when you need to re-record the same part several
times.

Real-time Record: Overdub...(Page 80)
This mode allows material to be added to existing material on
a track. Previous performance data will not be erased. This
makes it easy to create parts by recording them a little at a
time.

Step Record...(Page 80)
This mode allows notes to be entered one at a time. Step recording
makes it easy to create user phrases even if you can’t play the
phrase in real time.
Notes are entered by first specifying the note type, and then the
note pitch via the keyboard.

Grid Step Record...(Page 83)
As in the Step record mode, notes are entered one at a time. After
specifying the note’s pitch, the note is entered at the grid position
(timing) specified by the keyboard.
This method is particularly useful when entering drums and
sequenced phrases which use consecutive notes of the same pitch.

ur favorite JEDI:

da relic ;D

oh yea... i still got that dollar waitin for you.

Last edited:
lol... after getting home and messin with my RS, i realize that some of u guys are f%kkin LAZY!!! a simple turn of the F2 knob and ur in "overdub" mode... like, do u even read tha manual???!!! no, do u have the manual???!!!! i came so close to deleting my posts and offering you 50 cents for ur machine... for real for real... this thread has been up for 4+ weeks... i get on this sh!t ONE day, and its a simple turn of the knob???!!!... there better be more to this question, otherwise im done on this one...lol... i cant wait to hear all of ur responses... freakin hilarious!!!

da relic

Last edited:
Back