Roland sp808ex

Have you tried fruityloops, an excellent loop/groovebox/sampler software, for about a 10th of the price of the 808? The 808 is a great machine though, so it would be cool if you could try both out. Good Luck!

the sp808ex is in my oppinion only good for remixing, and recording since it can record one entire track (actually more) and it has got a build in groovemachine and step seqencer. This means you can play an entire track off it, tweak it and add your own sounds.
On a PC you'll have a hard time playing one entire track and putting your own sounds in in realtime.

Not quite, cause the interface is different and the ex got more flash memory. So I think maybe you can upgrade the SP-808 to some of the ex features.

The ex got a build in synthengine, which requires extra DSP power which is not thought of in the non ex version.

honest!!!

chriss, honest man--i was on the small team that hacked the 808ex opsys, i was actually the first person to ever really get it to work.

i, like you, assumed that the new dsp stuff wouldnt work, but it surprisingly does. a rumor went around that the vocoder and some of the other dsp stuff didnt work, but that was just because nobody had the manual at first, and we couldnt figure out how to engage it 8> - and it also was a pleasant surprise to us that the interface is identical in every way. 8>

but, of course, you dont get the 250 meg zip disk upgrade for free 8``<

you're shitting me right? how the hell did they get that softsynth put in without extra dsp?

it had a softsynth before, it just wasnt very good, so i guess they didnt mention it much...

but it's much better now, and it actually has midi implementation now as well

Back