Roland SP Series or wait for MPC?

Black Rabbit

Im been wanting to get an MPC for years now but i never have the money to break down and get one, now just reactly ive been looking at the Roland SP series of samplers, so my question is should i hold out and buy an MPC or get an SP?

buy an SP, be different, everyone has an mpc. what exactly do you want to do with either? that will determine which you should get.
LevLove

I want the ability to chop samples easily and be able to manipuate those chops, be able to sequence a song, and program drums.... for hip hop productions

you can do that all in both those, but i will tell you that MPC is much faster for chopping a long-ish sample. I have the SP-404 and i've had the MPC 1000. If you're not a perfectionist and you like workin fast and hands on, you might wanna try the SP. If your lookin for something that'll do more of a complete job, you might wanna save up for an MPC1000 or something. It's much more convienent for chopping and tracking out. But the SP is very hands on and has great FX

If you had the loot to cop that Roland MV 8000 that would be worth it for the digital sequencer but I think the SP series are way below that price. I love the feel and control of the MPC but IMO the sequencer is difficult to use. Not difficult but once I got reason and started using the digital sequencer, the MPC's sequencer seemed harder to use.

I'd grab a mpc. If money is a problem the mpc 2000 classic isn't a bad machine that can be got for $300 on ebay sometimes

Go for the Akai MPD24, Pro Tools 7,4 and Battery. Battery will load samples to be triggered by the MPD24. The MPD24 gives you MPC stle pads and Pro Tools has the MPC style swing and auto quantize.

TheLetterL said:
If you had the loot to cop that Roland MV 8000 that would be worth it for the digital sequencer but I think the SP series are way below that price. I love the feel and control of the MPC but IMO the sequencer is difficult to use. Not difficult but once I got reason and started using the digital sequencer, the MPC's sequencer seemed harder to use.

You think so?? I think the mpc has the most simplest sequencer on the planet. You can have a rock as brain in ur head and know how to sequence on a mpc.

doggie...I put it like this...

If you wanna MAKE BEATS on your sampler of choice, DO NOT get the SP...I got a SP-606 & I don't even use it for beats...that machine is a DEDICATED SAMPLER ONLY...then I export those samples into Reason...BUT!!! It does have killer effects...beatmaking-wise tho, it's too inflexible...

I would probably lean towards an MPC, or like duke above said, a 8000...

VELLE said:
You think so?? I think the mpc has the most simplest sequencer on the planet. You can have a rock as brain in ur head and know how to sequence on a mpc.

Have you ever used a digital sequencer. I can't say the MPC sequencer is hard to use, just in comparison to Reason for example. Much easier.

If you had to cop an MPC though I'd go for the 2K if money is tight. Think of it like this, the newer model the MPC, the more convenient it's going to be. Like on the 2K you need the startup disk, but on the 2Kxl you don't. On the 3K you have play thru capability. Start with that 2K though because I think that's a good place if you've never had one. Also you need to know that the 1K is different from all of them.

we'll see I just found a deal on a used mpc1000 for a 60 gig harddrive for 850... thanks for all the suggestions guys

i've had an sp606 an mpc500 and an mpc1000. go mpc. or like the one guy said, if you don't care about portability just get an mpd.

YeahCrassMix said:
i've had an sp606 an mpc500 and an mpc1000. go mpc. or like the one guy said, if you don't care about portability just get an mpd.

What was the 500 like because it honestly seemed pointless for them to make something that small. How many fully sequenced songs can it hold?

yea I already have an mpd 16, I just wanna move away from using software, so I think ima just save up for a mpc1000

What digital program are you using? I did the same thing earlier this year. I grabbed a 2Kxl just for a change of pace, made a couple of bangers and then just went back to Reason with a new love for it. They need to make an MPC witha digital sequencer like the way Roland has that monitor add on option for the MV8000

Trenchant said:
you can do that all in both those, but i will tell you that MPC is much faster for chopping a long-ish sample. I have the SP-404 and i've had the MPC 1000. If you're not a perfectionist and you like workin fast and hands on, you might wanna try the SP. If your lookin for something that'll do more of a complete job, you might wanna save up for an MPC1000 or something. It's much more convienent for chopping and tracking out. But the SP is very hands on and has great FX

You are aware you are contradicting yourself, right? The SP is faster but more limited, the MPC can do a lot more but it comes at the price of increased complexity. That's about the difference.

Needless to say, you can make equally awesome music with BOTH machines.

Last edited:
Back