Roland MV-8800- Sequencer functionality

I

Inkz

Hi FP. I am strongly considering going with either a MV-8800 or MPC2500. I'm currently leaning towards the MV. My current set-up consists of a Yamaha S90es, and KRK-rp6s. However, I do have a question specifically in regards to the sequencing functionality of the MV and 2500.

1) Does the MV sequencer (not sampler, or effects, etc, but sequencer) compare to a DAW (Cubase,Logic, etc.) Obviously its different.. But does it have everything I need to produce pro quality tracks without having to dump to a daw. If there are any disadvantages, I'd like to know. I do know the VGA screen option is a plus!
2) Also, obviously the MPC 2500 is a great piece. I was wondering if the MPC sequencer can handle other types of genres of music well other than hip-hop, r&B (I'd like to explore reggae, drum'n'bass, scores (movies, video games) I know just the tilt screen is a draw back, in terms of editing. But of course, I can use my ears. But I'm wondering in terms of sequencing functionality does it support other genres accordingly (flexiblity).
3) comparing just the sequencer in the MPC2500 and MV-8800, which of the two, provides the most flexibility, without relying on another program.

* by the way, i don't think there is a difference in timing between these machines in its sequencer so I don't need to be sold there. ("MPC swing...lalala etc) its all on the musician and producer in my eyes.

Thanks!

I'm no engineer or nothing, but seeing as how the lowest resolution the MV can record at is 120 and the mpc is set at 98ppqn, the MPC does have it's own unique swing. And from making tracks on both machines, yes, the mpc has a unique little swing.

Inkz said:
2) Also, obviously the MPC 2500 is a great piece. I was wondering if the MPC sequencer can handle other types of genres of music well other than hip-hop, r&B (I'd like to explore reggae, drum'n'bass, scores (movies, video games) I know just the tilt screen is a draw back, in terms of editing. But of course, I can use my ears. But I'm wondering in terms of sequencing functionality does it support other genres accordingly (flexiblity).
!

??????????

Are you serious?

It will Handle whatever YOU put into it........;)

I dont think it will explode if you try to sequence Country & Western...

Last edited:
BigBrotherMotown said:
??????????

Are you serious?

It will Handle whatever YOU put into it........;)

I dont think it will explode if you try to sequence Country & Western...
At 96 ppqn, that resolution is fine for triggering simplistic tapping. however if the musician can actually play or if the drum sequence has any serious complexity or realism, you'll find that the 2500's 96ppqn turns your playing into robotic Casiotone garbage. 96ppqn was OK...in 1988 when the original ASQ-10 was built.

** The MV's will actually drop down to 80ppqn not just 120. 120 is just the most popular setting.

moyphee said:
At 96 ppqn, that resolution is fine for triggering simplistic tapping. however if the musician can actually play or if the drum sequence has any serious complexity or realism, you'll find that the 2500's 96ppqn turns your playing into robotic Casiotone garbage. 96ppqn was OK...in 1988 when the original ASQ-10 was built.

** The MV's will actually drop down to 80ppqn not just 120. 120 is just the most popular setting.

The PPQN has NOTHING to do with the style of music....

A 4/4 time signature is the SAME in Rock music as it is in Rap music....

A Tempo of 86 is the SAME in Hip Hop as it is in Jazz....

I dont believe there has ever been a piece of gear made that could ONLY be used for one style of music....

:sing:

Thanks for the responses. I will look into those specifications more closely (regarding PPQN).

Here's another example. I can play classical piano. So if i was to play a piece by Beethoven, per say... would there be any difference ? (how sequencer captures midi data) ...like being able to capture 16th, 32nd notes accurately and to detail? I know you guys already answered this. But that's just an example of what I was trying to ask. I do think it is a legit question that others would find helpful too.

Thanks again for your insights.

Inkz said:
Thanks for the responses. I will look into those specifications more closely (regarding PPQN).

Here's another example. I can play classical piano. So if i was to play a piece by Beethoven, per say... would there be any difference ? (how sequencer captures midi data) ...like being able to capture 16th, 32nd notes accurately and to detail? I know you guys already answered this. But that's just an example of what I was trying to ask. I do think it is a legit question that others would find helpful too.

Thanks again for your insights.

If you were to play Beethoven I would STRONGLY suggest you just leave the quanitization OFF....

There should NOT be a difference during I real time recording on most standard sequencers...

BigBrotherMotown said:
The PPQN has NOTHING to do with the style of music....

A 4/4 time signature is the SAME in Rock music as it is in Rap music....

A Tempo of 86 is the SAME in Hip Hop as it is in Jazz....

I dont believe there has ever been a piece of gear made that could ONLY be used for one style of music....

:sing:

Your right, it doesn't have anything to do with the style of music....but haveing a higher ppqn will allow you to capture a more accurate performance.

Disasster said:
Your right, it doesn't have anything to do with the style of music....but haveing a higher ppqn will allow you to capture a more accurate performance.
It sounds like he's just using it as a sequencer, and not using it as a standalone sampler, ie-not recording into it. Anyway, i don't have alot to add because i think personal prefence/workflow is far more important. For me, i just don't feel comfortable on an MV, even though it's technically suppior to any mpc's. However. Either can make any type of music. The only problems would be polyphony, sample time, and the number of midi tracks. None of these will be a problem unless you are recording in alot of things, or having a TON of tracks. Like a fully orachastrated peice or something.

One thing i'm a bit confused on though, you ask if the sequencer alone is comparable to most daws (which it is, but not all that similar). But you say you are not interested in the effects, and i take it that you are using it to sequence something external. And then you don't want to have to track out. For mixing, neither the mv or especially the mpc are up to par when it comes to eqing, compressing, etc, when mixing down. Second, if you are using external devices, they need to be tracked out to something, either your sampler or a daw. Even if you arn't using external devices, i still think a daw is far supior when mixing down.

Back