Recording Vocals on the MV8800??

laterabbit

Hi everyone,

Ive been a long time lurker on this site and ive finally got around to posting because i havnt been able to find the answers im looking for concerning the MV 8800...

Here's my question: Has anyone used the MV8800 to record a full vocal track? If so how's the quality? can you really make a complete track from start to scratch including mixing mastering ect...??

Im currently saving up to buy either an MV or MPC. I like the feel of the MPC 2500 better but i know the MV kills it in overall capability. I know the MPC is not able to record vocals. so i was thinking either buying an MV8800 or MPC with Computer DAW seperate? both would be around the same price. because im low on cashflow i cant afford to make the mistake of purchasing the MV8800 if ill have to dish out more cash to buy a DAW for my vocals anyway, feel me?

What would you do if you were starting from scratch?

thanks

The MV is is a big step past the 2500 in every respect. The 2500 is a better choice if you like the MPC workflow.

As for vocals, the quality is damn good but it is largely dependent on the mic quality , pre quality, and your ear.

apreciate the response but can you tell me if you own an mv8800 or have actually recorded vocals on it?

ps. I own a pretty good mic and pre.

laterabbit said:
apreciate the response but can you tell me if you own an mv8800 or have actually recorded vocals on it?

ps. I own a pretty good mic and pre.

Yes and yes.

I got mediocre results using the dynamic mics but things took a really extreme turn when I upgraded. I don't have a dedicated booth so my acoustics are not prime but the overall quality was a great improvement.

Using the JJ OS with the MPC 2500..you can record vocals..but it is RAM based-like the MV. In fact, the MPC 2500 has 3 times as many audio tracks as the MV. Plus, they don't got out of sync like the MV. You have to slice long audio phrases in the MV or they will go out of sync. This is a known bug for years and Roland hasn't addressed it yet.

Do not...I repeat...do not purchase anything until after Namm (Jan 15) especially if you want to get an MV. The price of the MV will drop after Namm.

Last edited:
jahrome said:
Using the JJ OS with the MPC 2500..you can record vocals..but it is RAM based-like the MV. In fact, the MPC 2500 has 3 times as many audio tracks as the MV. .
What good are having 3x as many tracks with only 1/4 of the MV's memory when maxed out?

jahrome said:
Plus, they don't got out of sync like the MV. You have to slice long audio phrases in the MV or they will go out of sync. This is a known bug for years and Roland hasn't addressed it yet.
If track goes out sync inserting an index point solves the problem and most don't experiences this. It literally takes 2 seconds if needed at all.

Most important is that Jahrome does not and never owned an MV-8000 or 8800.

In any case, a seperate multitrack synced up is a good idea if you need 16 tracks or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't know if he ever had a mv or not,but dude be coming hard at the mv and now he's in threads so excited about the new thing coming from Roland that he will have before anyone else...And he hints at it being some sort of new MV..so is your mpc5k's days numbered?

The MV 8800's days are numbered. That is why I said wait until Namm before you buy one. The price will drop drastically (like the MV-8000 which is as cheap as the MPC 1000). The MPC 5000 was just released. A new OS is coming...and it won't take Akai to release an MPC 5500 to get a significant OS update like Roland did when they did the MV-8000 or MV-8800.

The MPC 1000/2500 has 3x as many audio tracks as the MV regardless of Ram. What good is the MV's extra Ram and audio tracks if they go out of sync or you have to create marker points for them to stay in sync. Audio tracks are not suppose to do that. Why make excuses for Roland when they need to fix it? It won't be fixed because it is being discontinued.

I already used my time to expose all of moyphee's continued lies..but I won't waste time using these forums search functions to find pics of my MPC 3000 and MV (with the LCD disabled) sitting side-by-side.

Why would the MV's price drop after Namm? I gave you as much as I am going to tell. You will just have to wait and see. I don't sell music production gear anymore, but on a case by case basis..I may hook one or two of you up....just not moyphee....

Anybody need a korg triton?
Pm me.....
And as for the topic?
It really doesnt depend on what it is going into.(though in some cases it does)
Its really 68% on the mic you using.

The MV Mastering Suite is pretty good because it's right out of the VS_2480. It's not geared towards a novice so for most it's an opportunity to screw up their sound. That said, there are some templates to start from.

Software plugs offer a much more flexibility and power so if you're recording highly dynamic music you should go with the plugs. The same if you're accustomed to plugs like Waves ,UA or SSL.

Let me also add this. While the sound engine is 16bit the signal processing is 20bit then then back down to 16 at the output stage so their is some breathing room when adding any type of processing.

The mastering section has the following:
Input Parametric EQ
Bass Cut Filter
Input Band Split
Enhancer
Expander
Compressor
Output Mixer
Limiter
Output - Soft clip limiter and variable Dither 24-8bit or off

It really depends on who's behind it but the weapons are certainly there.
All of the music here has been mastered with the same master section. Music aside the quality is good and gives a hint of what it would sound like uncompressed.
http://www.live365.com/stations/vss?site=vss

mista ree said:
don't know if he ever had a mv or not,but dude be coming hard at the mv and now he's in threads so excited about the new thing coming from Roland that he will have before anyone else...And he hints at it being some sort of new MV..so is your mpc5k's days numbered?
I go hard because the MV-8000 was just a luke-warm response to the Akai MPC. ROland just repackaged it as the MV-8800 and gave it an OS update tricking consumers as if it was a new machine...they didn't even give the original MV-8000 the same update to further fatten their wallets. As a businessman, I can respect their hustle but their is or should be ethics in business. Anyway...new Roland products are coming which will replace older products. They didn't get it right completely with the first series..so I am hoping that they made some advancements. I will be sure to let you know though....

Back on topic....

The effects on the MV, VS2480, and all other Roland products are geared towards a novice. You can't screw up your sound. If you make some changes you don't like, then simply undo the changes...oops..shouldn't use the word undo because it confuses people with the lame undo/redo functions of the MV-8800.

jahrome said:
The effects on the MV, VS2480, and all other Roland products are geared towards a novice. You can't screw up your sound. If you make some changes you don't like, then simply undo the changes...oops..shouldn't use the word undo because it confuses people with the lame undo/redo functions of the MV-8800.

Spoken like a true novice...and you've obviously never used the 2480.

Anyway, dudes with no mastering experience will always end up exaggerating their sound and not polishing or bettering the overall sound.

moyphee said:
Spoken like a true novice...and you've obviously never used the 2480.

Anyway, dudes with no mastering experience will always end up exaggerating their sound and not polishing or bettering the overall sound.
That is what you get for asuming...I owned the VS2480 way before it hit the streets in the US. I used that until I decided to move to a PC and Nuendo 1.5.

Don't challenge my experience unless you want me to challenge whether you actually do any music. Anybody with any sense would look right pass your comments until you prove that you actually do music..of any sort. Stop repeating what you read somewhere in the forum or a magazine. You don't have any hands on experience with anything you talk about....that is why I had to expose you for the liar you are....

Actually...its you following me around the internet everyday...so I am really running your life. You should be outside enjoying your youth and finding a girlfriend. I guess you young boys aren't interested in women these days...it sounds like your keyboard is your girlfriend....eww..go wash your hands. I feel dirty even going back and forth with you now... :)

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^

That shyt you just posted is hella gay. That part of dude's life shouldn't even be on a straight man's mind....and whatever visual you came up with concerning a keyboard being a girlfriend is something I'd would have preferred you kept to yourself.

moyphee said:
^^^^^^^^

That shyt you just posted is hella gay. That part of dude's life shouldn't even be on a straight man's mind....and whatever visual you came up with concerning a keyboard being a girlfriend is something I'd would have preferred you kept to yourself.
Believe me....I am concerned with the youth of today. Don't miss out on your youth playing video games and playing on the internet all day...and stalking me. Get a life..find a girlfriend and develop a healthy relationship. The last thing we need is another kid shooting up schools.....

Back