Recording Vocals on the MV8800??

jahrome said:
Believe me....I am concerned with the youth of today. Don't miss out on your youth playing video games and playing on the internet all day...and stalking me. Get a life..find a girlfriend and develop a healthy relationship. The last thing we need is another kid shooting up schools.....

Dude ,this is getting gayish and creepy! I'm out!

Just to note both the MPC and the MV can record vocals with no real quality difference between the two.

Kojak said:
Just to note both the MPC and the MV can record vocals with no real quality difference between the two.
No realy quality difference? But the MVs long audio files go out of sync with the rest of your recorded material. MPCs do not do this. This is a well-known bug and even a Roland rep showed people a work around to the problem. While the work around appears to work, this should be fixed.

PS- Did I finally find a way to stop moyphee from stalking me in these forums?

Last edited:
If you want to get technical about "quality" Roland built the MV
with this feature already in mind.Akai didn't intend the 1000/2500 to have audio tracks and it takes a third party OS(jj) to get this feature.So props go to Roland for quality.

mista ree said:
If you want to get technical about "quality" Roland built the MV
with this feature already in mind.Akai didn't intend the 1000/2500 to have audio tracks and it takes a third party OS(jj) to get this feature.So props go to Roland for quality.

Technically, JJ created the OS for the MPC 2500 and 1000.
Continuous sample tracks was a feature intended for the MPC 2500 (again originally programed by JJ). This is exactly what you have in the MV. The MVs audio tracks are not suppose to go out of sync though no matter what name you want to call it. The quality of the OS isn't great when a core feature of a sequencer is left behind for users to come up with a work around.

Audio quality? The MV doesn't sound better than an MPC.

Is that something else that only you know that we don't?
Where is it proven that JJ was in fact the original coder for the 1000/2500 mpc's?

I assure you that the mpc2500 can both record and play back an audio file. That's kind of what it was made to do. The only difference between a vocal track and a drum sample is length, and the mpc doesn't care about that

mista ree said:
Is that something else that only you know that we don't?
Where is it proven that JJ was in fact the original coder for the 1000/2500 mpc's?
A member of the JJ team reponded with details....and it was confirmed from a reliable sources...twice. And no..I am not the only one that knows this. You can find this info on the internet.

jahrome said:
A member of the JJ team reponded with details....and it was confirmed from a reliable sources...twice. And no..I am not the only one that knows this. You can find this info on the internet.

dam I missed that one..makes sense though.to have exclusive access to a code and blow it up like he did is legendary.

even if the mpc 2500 can record vocals it still doesn't have the ability to mix and master the entire song... or does it?

as far as I know the mv has all the effects needed to process vocals. the mpc isn't made for that besides my real question still isn't being answered here:

what would you rather buy if where starting from scratch: an mpc 2500, computer with any daw of choice or an mv8800?

Not to dis anybody...but I would spend some time reading on what mixing and mastering actually is and the type of tools engineers use to accomplish these tasks. Look at the MV has a sampler and sequencer...nothing more.

Honestly, take your pic of DAW and buy the MPC 2500 or MV. It really doesn't matter once you learn how to use these machines...

jahrome said:
Technically, JJ created the OS for the MPC 2500 and 1000.
Continuous sample tracks was a feature intended for the MPC 2500 (again originally programed by JJ). This is exactly what you have in the MV. The MVs audio tracks are not suppose to go out of sync though no matter what name you want to call it. The quality of the OS isn't great when a core feature of a sequencer is left behind for users to come up with a work around.

The MV's Audio Tracks are not midi midi dependent in any instance and they can be recorded live in a linear recording fashion in time with the song.

The MPC Cont.Sample tracks cannot do this.

Actually it does in more critical situations when recording llive or when mated with decent Mic pres- and I'm not saying this for the sake of disagreeing. The MVs uses the same TI/Burr Brown converters as the VS-2480. The processing is 16/20/16 opposed 16/16/16 on the MPC's by Numark.

Even when saving to 24bit with the new MPCs, there only 16bits in the file because it is "Saved As" (repackaged) not "Converted to" a 24bit format unlike the 4000 which is true 24bit. This means that there is dynamic headroom available in the MV during proceesing that is not present with the MPC. The signal's integrity will not be lost when using the MVs MTK.

Going back to sound sound quality, converters are key as you know. The MV's converters are of same PCM 4200 series chipset as those currently used by Apogee. This is listed and confirmed in both the MV and VS service Manuals.
The NSC/Numark chipsets are amongst the cheapest on the market and not used by anyone in critical audio applications. The NSC's primary market is and always been low cost home ,portable and car audio processors.

Laterabbit- if you're concerned about the tracking vocal in the MV there is a separate Vocal suite in the MFX. The vocal multi stack as follows:

Noise supressor
Limiter -De-esser
Enhancer
Para EQ
Pitch shifter
delay
chorus

I like to use the templates and suggestion from the guys at Prosoundweb. You can punch in there numbers and come up with some good starting points. Not that you need them. Like anything esle the MV's MTK is only as good as the ears behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
moyphee said:
The MV's Audio Tracks are not midi midi dependent in any instance and they can be recorded live in a linear recording fashion in time with the song.

The MPC Cont.Sample tracks cannot do this.

Actually it does in more critical situations when recording llive or when mated with decent Mic pres- and I'm not saying this for the sake of disagreeing. The MVs uses the same TI/Burr Brown converters as the VS-2480. The processing is 16/20/16 opposed 16/16/16 on the MPC's by Numark.

Even when saving to 24bit with the new MPCs, there only 16bits in the file because it is "Saved As" (repackaged) not "Converted to" a 24bit format unlike the 4000 which is true 24bit. This means that there is dynamic headroom available in the MV during proceesing that is not present with the MPC. The signal's integrity will not be lost when using the MVs MTK.

Going back to sound sound quality, converters are key as you know. The MV's converters are of same PCM 4200 series chipset as those currently used by Apogee. This is listed and confirmed in both the MV and VS service Manuals.
The NSC/Numark chipsets are amongst the cheapest on the market and not used by anyone in critical audio applications. The NSC's primary market is and always been low cost home ,portable and car audio processors.

Laterabbit- if you're concerned about the tracking vocal in the MV there is a separate Vocal suite in the MFX. The vocal multi stack as follows:

Noise supressor
Limiter -De-esser
Enhancer
Para EQ
Pitch shifter
delay
chorus

I like to use the templates and suggestion from the guys at Prosoundweb. You can punch in there numbers and come up with some good starting points. Not that you need them. Like anything esle the MV's MTK is only as good as the ears behind it.

100% hogwash aka BS.....

The MVs audio is not "midi midi dependent" yet you have to slice long audio files in multiple places so it doesn't go out of sync. Real audio tracks do not do this.

As far as MPC AD/DA converters and its hard drives specs...these have not been made available. Akai's website and the 5Ks user manual doesn't have this information. A beta tester confirmed that the hard drive records in 24 bits but again, there is no documentation anywhere that confirms this and no one in the forums have confirmed this with a test. Maybe I will take this on. If the MPC 5000 is really based on a Fusion, than it really does record at 24 bit..and Akai could upgrade the OS so that the sampler can record at 24 bits as well. One thing I can confirm is that if you import a sample to RAM, it will be converted to 16 bit but will retain its sample rate. Bottom line, I would like to see where you got your information from because you are usually way off base when it comes to MPCs.

I don't care what specs the MVs claim it has..it does not sound better than any MPC. And I owned the VS2480. It does not sound like any Apogee product I have encountered.

Stop talking about all these specs and deliver so real world audio examples.....

i read some of the post cuz im too behind with all that.. forget about mpc5000, mpc2500 is the best mpc from what i know, i played with it a bit but couldn't get the sequencer. I have roland MV88, what i can say is that it's very good machine.. fast review

Roland Pads ain't as nice as MPCs however you can work with'em easly unless you started in the mornin then in the evening your fingers gon hurt BADLY haha (my own experience)
Very easy 2 use, first 3 days you b like wtf did i do?? y did i buy this crap lol, but 1s u get it u like wow. + connectin monitor n mouse will make ur workflow even faster.
easy syncin with everyother piece of equipment.

You asked about vocals... if you serious about that better buy yourself some software pro tools or sum, get good interface, mic, mic preamp, get a booth n then practice.. that's the only way to get good quality vocals. MV has this option but seriously.. sampler ain't a thing to create the whole track, besides the number of plugins is limited and you can't really add anything else.

man, I really hope rolands next mv is a true "all in one" box where you can complete an entire track from start to finish. I mean from what I hear it still falls short. I might as well save a grand and buy the mpc 2500 if I need a DAW anyways right?

thanks guys for the info

dotveli said:
...besides the number of plugins is limited and you can't really add anything else.
One of the mods over at MV Nation has a tutorial on how to integrate outboard gear with the MV. It works pretty good and I've been able use old pedals and processors in the signal chain. You can use direct rec you to capture the processed sounds in real time to an Audio Track or resample the results.

Also cheaper alternative to daw is to buy digital mutitrack and slave the clock. Those things are dirt cheap these days.

http://mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12411&sid=4e2c635ab0e43b5a1af199887eb94cc0

Last edited by a moderator:
moyphee said:
One of the mods over at MV Nation has a tutorial on how to integrate outboard gear with the MV. It works pretty good and I've been able use old pedals and processors in the signal chain. You can use direct rec you to capture the processed sounds in real time to an Audio Track or resample the results.

Also cheaper alternative to daw is to buy digital mutitrack and slave the clock. Those things are dirt cheap these days.

http://mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12411&sid=4e2c635ab0e43b5a1af199887eb94cc0

That tutorial can be applied to any of the latest MPCs as well.....good find.

Back