Reason 3.0 + Axiom 25, HELP!!

M

MrYellow

so im pretty new to this site, ive searched the forums and found nothing relating to this topic...

anyway, im fairly new to reason 3.0, and especially new to the Axiom 25.

im having some trouble though, and have a few questions that hopefully someone out there can help me with!

lets start from the beginning...

1. when i plug the axiom into my powerbook G4. load up reason 3.0 and all that stuff, then setup the MIDI and KEYBOARD DEVICES...i do the drop down menu under M-AUDIO but there is no thing for AXIOM 25, just the old oxygens and all that ****. anyway, is there a way to have the AXIOM 25 programmed in there right off the bat??

2. so then i created a generic keyboard with controlls from the M-Audio drop down. everything thing works so far, the pitch all the keys and some of the drum pads. the question here is that ill load a pre made Reason drum kit and then go to play the drums on the Axiom drum pad, but only some of the samples play from them?? its like this...if i have a kick programmed in the REDRUM in slot 1, i can play it with my C14 drum pad on the axiom. if i have a snare sample in the 2 slot in reason, then go to play it on the axiom drum pad C15, nothing happens, no trigger. nothing. how do i program the REDRUM #2 slot to go off of my axiom C15 drum pad, etc...

ALSO how do i program my axiom 25 to control Reasons PLAY, STOP, REWIND, FORWARD, and RECORD buttons??

ive got them on the axiom, but have no idea how to utilize them to control the reason stop play, etc...

it keeps going on like this!!

also how do i use the different parameter knobs for some of my synths and things of that nature, to control you know...the filters, eq's and **** like that.

i guess reason is really complicated for me!

hopefully ive been somewhat descriptive, but hopefully SOMEONE can help!!

thanks!!!

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim

The kick drum in reason correlates to C1. The snare in reason correlates to C#1. You have to program the drum pad to trigger C#1, for the snare. I'm pretty sure if you play C#1 on the keyboard then it will trigger the snare.

J.

MrYellow said:
1. when i plug the axiom into my powerbook G4. load up reason 3.0 and all that stuff, then setup the MIDI and KEYBOARD DEVICES...i do the drop down menu under M-AUDIO but there is no thing for AXIOM 25, just the old oxygens and all that ****. anyway, is there a way to have the AXIOM 25 programmed in there right off the bat??

Okay, first up. the fastest way to set it up is what you said, program it to one of the reason presets. You should have gotten a sheet showing that presets 7-12 are Reason presets (Mixer, Subtractor, Malstrom, Dr. Rex, NN-19, and Effects). To change the preset, press program (or however you get to program with an axiom 25, I have axiom 49 so I'll be talking about more buttons, but these should be available in your axiom 25 menus. Line stuff up with the Axiom manual from the Keyboard Controller Series CD if I say something that doesn't make any sense). And then press one of the numbers 7-12. The keyboard should work now! Well, sort of. You also have to make sure that the channels you set up in Reason are aligned with the channels on the keyboard. You can set the keyboard to different channels (Glob Chan) as well as use different channels for different zones (that is if the Axiom 25 has zones I don't know). But find the button Glob Chan and select 1 or whatever channel you want. Make sure something is selected for that channel in Reason or it won't play anything. As for sliders and knobs, you'll just have to go to the instrument that the preset is made for and see what moves as you move around the slider or knob. I still need to do that, but I've figured out what all of them do for the Malstrom, except I had it set to the Mixer Program so I'm sure the Malstrom program would make more sense when I play Malstrom.

MrYellow said:
2. so then i created a generic keyboard with controlls from the M-Audio drop down. everything thing works so far, the pitch all the keys and some of the drum pads. the question here is that ill load a pre made Reason drum kit and then go to play the drums on the Axiom drum pad, but only some of the samples play from them?? its like this...if i have a kick programmed in the REDRUM in slot 1, i can play it with my C14 drum pad on the axiom. if i have a snare sample in the 2 slot in reason, then go to play it on the axiom drum pad C15, nothing happens, no trigger. nothing. how do i program the REDRUM #2 slot to go off of my axiom C15 drum pad, etc...

Alright, this is the tricky part that took me four hours of searching online, reading the user manual, and finally downloading enigma. You don't HAVE to have Enigma (a free download from m-audio.com), but it sure makes it easier to program your keyboard. If something ever happens where you've screwed it up completely (which I've done), you can reset all the defaults and upload them to the keyboard with this program. You can also create your own presets. However, I'll tell you how to set it directly from the keyboard in case you don't have Enigma and because it's easier to explain, but I wouldn't have figured all this out without Enigma. First, you have to know that the Reason ReDrum slots are message controllers Data 1 36-45. That is probably the most valuable piece of information I could have given you. Once I figured that out from playing around with the numbers and seeing what they do with Reason, everything was easy. Now, I only have 8 drum trigger pads on mine, and there are 10 Reason Redrum slots. I skipped a couple like 2 and 8 when I set mine, but you can use whatever 8 you want.
DO NOT SET CONTROL ASSIGN TO 36-45, that should be set to 147 for ALL of them (it means that it is sending a note-on signal, what note is sends is DATA 1). You have to set the DATA 1 data to some number between 36-45. You'll find the ones that already work are set to these numbers and the ones that don't are not. 36 is Reason slot 1, 37 is Reason slot 2, etc.

MrYellow said:
ALSO how do i program my axiom 25 to control Reasons PLAY, STOP, REWIND, FORWARD, and RECORD buttons??

This is the question that I myself haven't figured out yet. If you figure out the answer, please let me know. I am having the same problem.

MrYellow said:
also how do i use the different parameter knobs for some of my synths and things of that nature, to control you know...the filters, eq's and **** like that.
As I said before, make sure the preset is set to whatever software instrument in Reason you are using, or set it to the Mixer for mixer sliders and knobs. I don't know exactly what they do, but it's easy to figure out. I just haven't done it yet for all of them. Program a preset such as Subtractor to the keyboard, select the subtractor channel, and start moving around the sliders and knobs and watch in Reason to see which ones are moving. If you want to change them, find the lowest CC (as in Midi Controller Number) and the highest. That's your range for knobs and sliders. Figure out which numbers in that range are not being used and play with the different numbers that aren't already being used and see what they do too. Then once you know what is available to you, you can set the sliders and knobs to whatever you want. Do the same for each preset.

IMPORTANT:
Every time you change something in the keyboard, make sure to store it or you may lose all the data you've just entered when you turn off your keyboard. You have 20 different slots to store stuff in. Just select store, and the store slot number you want to use. Everything for the keyboard is saved. To reload it, select Recall 1.
This is where Enigma comes in handy. Once you figure out what you want everything set to, you can map it out in Enigma, save different presets for yourself and whenever you accidentally change something or lose everything, you can upload it from Enigma. Enigma has the advantage of being able to see all the buttons at once and what they are set to.

Okay! Hope that helps! Have Fun!

Also, my name is Tim too. =)

Last edited:
Shout to Doctrine for some good info! There's a real live resolution out there that allows Axiom and Reason to function in harmony!!!

You need to get the Reason 3.0.4 update first!!! This update along with M-Audio control surface plug for Reason, will allow you to use the auto-detect option in the midi edit section of Reason. They even have the picture of the Axiom!!!

As far as the midi CC notes. The transport buttons have to be set from loop to record 20-25. These will allow the Axioms transport buttons to function without changing any of Reason's overide options!!!

If you need to know the Axiom defaults, get Enigma b/c with the Reason update the Axiom's defaults control everything!!! That's for those of you who have been fooling around with the parameters in your Axiom and can't remember where you started!!!

Oh ... in case you didn't READ it ... Here's what the homie Doctrine posted about the drum pads!!! This will help if you don't know how to change the midi CC notes on your axiom!!!

If you look in the help file for reason's Redrum sampler, it says the 'note #' for the 10 channels on Redrum go from 36-45...

Stay with me, it's easier than you think.

You need to tell drum pad 1-8 that they need to control reasons note #'s 36-45, but you only have 8 pads on the Axiom so we'll do it 36-43...You access this feature by setting the "DATA 1" parameter on the Axiom...

How do you do that?

> Press the first pad (bottom left) on the axiom.

> Press "advanced" button

> Press the "Ctrl Assign" key (first piano key on Axiom 25, dunno 'bout others) then the number on the right should read "147" that is not the "DATA 1" parameter, that is CONTROL...

> Press the "Data 1" key (third black key from the left) and you probably will already see the number 36 on the screen now (that's the default). Still we will RE-Program it to the same thing for the sake of example.

> With the corresponding keys, punch in '36' then press the last white key which is 'enter' and you have that first pad now set for Note 36 wich will trigger channel 1 in redrum...

Now do the same steps with the second pad making IT'S Note number/Data 1 entry '37' and so on...

Pad 1 - DATA 1 = 36 for Redrum Channel 1
Pad 2 - DATA 1 = 37 for Redrum Channel 2
Pad 3 - DATA 1 = 38 for Redrum Channel 3
etc...

MrYellow said:
so im pretty new to this site, ive searched the forums and found nothing relating to this topic...

anyway, im fairly new to reason 3.0, and especially new to the Axiom 25.

im having some trouble though, and have a few questions that hopefully someone out there can help me with!

lets start from the beginning...

ive got them on the axiom, but have no idea how to utilize them to control the reason stop play, etc...

it keeps going on like this!!

i guess reason is really complicated for me!

hopefully ive been somewhat descriptive, but hopefully SOMEONE can help!!

thanks!!!

-Tim

I have a question

How do you get the trigga pad C14-c18 to play in the sequence you want it to like ,,c-14 on Redrum saple1 c-15 on red drum sample 2 so on an so on and also c15 is hitting only on 16 notes ,,,I think the presets it came with not good.Or is it something I down load ,,cause I tried to override midi maping.

kolordpimp said:
How do you get the trigga pad C14-c18 to play in the sequence you want it to like ,,c-14 on Redrum saple1 c-15 on red drum sample 2 so on an so on and also c15 is hitting only on 16 notes ,,,I think the presets it came with not good.Or is it something I down load ,,cause I tried to override midi maping.
There are 2 things tht will fix your probs. M-Audio has a Reason Control Surface driver. This should fix your problem!!! You must have the Reason 3.0.1 update as well!!!

Just go to the M-Audio website and search!!!

just

big nwk & Doctrine yall the **** ,,you hellp so much man that was simple the way you broke it down ..hot **** ,,one more question,,,My c15 pad triggers the sound sometimes ,,like every other note,,whats that from?

Axiom 25

If you used the Reason Control Surface patch from the M-Audio website ... Everything should function fine!!! Oh ... Don't forget that Reason update!!!

kolordpimp said:
big nwk & Doctrine yall the **** ,,you hellp so much man that was simple the way you broke it down ..hot **** ,,one more question,,,My c15 pad triggers the sound sometimes ,,like every other note,,whats that from?

Hi, I'm totally new to this site. This is my first post. I must say, this whole thread confused the hell out of me.

However, if you still need to know, I can tell you how to assign all the pads, nobs, buttons etc. however you want.....

below is a youtube video. I'm new so it won't let me post a link until I have 20 posts. Take the spaces out of the address below and that's the video. This specific issue is addressed at about the 1 minute mark.

youtube. com/ watch?v=YAlxOwiddhc

also, brief explanation of how to do it...

go to options, remote override edit mode, you will see a bunch of things that look like lightning bolts. double click whatever lightning bolt or blue arrow that is over thing you want to control....when it is spinning push whatever button, nob, pad, etc on your axiom that you want to control it. you can assign your play, stop, record, etc. but for some reason my record button will not continue to record...it's only active if the button is being held. Anyone know why??

when your done assigning everything you have to go back to options and deselect the remote override edit mode

I have a couple other issues but I'll ask them in another thread. thx. hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Back