Quick Question

I

initialproductions

If im trying to record my turntable into my MPC to sample, if I use a mixer is there a need for a preamp, or is a preamp needed only if u dont have a mixer?

No you don't need a preamp if you have the TT going into a mixer and the mixer out into the REC In on the MPC, you are good to go!

Not just any preamp but a phono preamp. If the mixer is a DJ mixer , there most likely is one and you don't need anything else. If you're just running to a regular mixer, you most likely need a separate pre.

Thankyou for the replies. I want to be able to sample a turntable into my mpc and be able to apply Eq to the sounds so I can fatten up kicks ect. can you do this with a DJ mixer? Also do you think I can get a quality DJ mixer for around $300?

I think you'll get an ok DJ mixer for the price. Not that I know that much about them - just that the really good stuff isn't that cheap. Anyway - most EQs on DJ mixers are really harsh - they're not meant to do fine adjustments, but rather to brutally cut out whole chunks of the freq spectrum. I'm not saying they can't be used for sound shaping, but I'd probably leave that to the MPC.

Back