Open Labs Miko is by far...

So unless you need portability
Thats the point... But anyway as i dont got any laptop, i can start thinking about a powerbook based solution. As this miko thing is not available for now (audiomidi, musicianfriends, etc). :(

own sounds
: PreSonus Firebox :D

Last edited:
Here is my situation I have a Mac Pro with a midi controller Phantom and MPC 4000 and a couple soft synths.....the speed I work at is okay sequence in MPC then dump into protools...but between the latency and all it is hard to truly take advantage of the Soft synths like I want to. With the Miko I should be able to work with my MPC, Phantom Rack....I am picking up the Radius Rack and the Miko.....I will not use the Presonus Card and instead will us the Fireface 800...and the Portable Apogee when traveling with the Miko or with the Labtop which has Protools via Mbox Pro 2....Duende for mixing via the Miko.....I know the Miko seems overpriced but as a Artist with Music, I can't have limits when drawing a vision...So with the MIKO I am expecting speed and all I need to do is create....I'll let yall know how it goes as I spoke with Open Labs earlier and I should have the piece by the end of the week....roll the Purple I'll Holla...........

Oh and as far as Mimik...I am sampling the Motif Sounds Dry and I will effect as far as certain synth patches...I will sample some of those with the effects turned on.......Mimik is what it says it will mimik the sound so you never real copy or own the total sound you just receive a sample of the wave that was created in another keyboard....it is like sampling thats all....a sound compared to a groove....very basic tactic............

Last edited:
And a lot of the "22,000 sounds" are presets from the cheap/free softsynths that come with it. The whole software bundle (or equal) is worth - generously estimate - about $1000 at most. The rest of the cost is the "shiny box" part.

krushing said:
And a lot of the "22,000 sounds" are presets from the cheap/free softsynths that come with it. The whole software bundle (or equal) is worth - generously estimate - about $1000 at most. The rest of the cost is the "shiny box" part.

well the 1 i'm sure he's refering to is the Timbo Special edition one that comes with all the boards that he is rumored to use. If I had the $$$ this would be the only thing i would need. I am actually right now working on getting the SE edition MIKO and adding my Komplete package in it. I really don't need to pay 4k just for the Timbo edition although if i had it i definitely would.

Yeah me too I can't wait for the ****...I am loading it with like 20 Vsts a month.....I will let yall know how it is......I am gonna rock the MPC 4000 and The Miko LE....

Hmmmm...

IF anybody knows...what type of A/D conversion they got on these workstations?? Also...I personally don't like the sound of most softsynths as-is...how would you go about fattening up sounds on these as well??...Does it come with the equivalent of at least a built-in Avalon or better circuit for the tracking pre?? And..does it have Apogee quality A/D D/A or better built-in?? Without that stuff...it would be too pricy for me. Seems like a top-of-the-line Apple notebook with Logic filled with softsynths, plug-ins and an Apogee Rosetta 200 for conversion would be the more affordable/poor-man's version of this here.

i have one and enjoy it...Its really useful and the all in one solution is great...I can do midi fine but its a waste of time and then dumping into pro tools was a pain , on top of that with the miko i can make a track with reaper daw which doesnt come with stupid limitations and rewires instantly

For people saying your paying for a shiny box, or you can get an IMAC and but a midi board and soft synths and come out cheaper...TRUE, so TRUE..but we all could really just have a 300 dollar laptop and FL 7 to produce, but we DONT do we? In the Real World we have motifs, mpc's, digi 002 PT hd, Macbook etc's all expensive gear, we really dont need to produce so saying that about a miko is hypocritical

Anyways to each is own, i'm happy with the purchase and i added reason 4 to it...and waves plugins when i do direct vocals for my tracks, next i burn to cd and jam in my car...Simple as that

Mic & miko and i'm good

floss said:
In the Real World we have motifs, mpc's, digi 002 PT hd, Macbook etc's all expensive gear, we really dont need to produce so saying that about a miko is hypocritical

Okay...but what about top notch A/D conversion?? Does it come standard? Also, does it have the equivalent of an Avalon piece or Empirical Labs...basically class a solid state or tube circuitry..BUILT IN?? I've asked this question several times in various threads regarding Open Labs products..but guess what?? I never get a real answer. Also..I gotta say what people 'need' to compose music or whatever is HIGHLY subjective at the least.

Anyway, I have this same problem with a lot of all-in-one products. If the features it offers are not stellar in quality I'd rather have 10 separate pieces that do each feature great than one than does them so-so....even if the cost is considerably more.

floss said:
i have one and enjoy it...Its really useful and the all in one solution is great...I can do midi fine but its a waste of time and then dumping into pro tools was a pain , on top of that with the miko i can make a track with reaper daw which doesnt come with stupid limitations and rewires instantly

For people saying your paying for a shiny box, or you can get an IMAC and but a midi board and soft synths and come out cheaper...TRUE, so TRUE..but we all could really just have a 300 dollar laptop and FL 7 to produce, but we DONT do we? In the Real World we have motifs, mpc's, digi 002 PT hd, Macbook etc's all expensive gear, we really dont need to produce so saying that about a miko is hypocritical

Anyways to each is own, i'm happy with the purchase and i added reason 4 to it...and waves plugins when i do direct vocals for my tracks, next i burn to cd and jam in my car...Simple as that

Mic & miko and i'm good
that's what's up floss. this thing is really a matter of choice. I love it and it had everything i would want in a machine just like any macbook or regular PC has. And if you really think about it, once u piece together all the stuff needed to rival a miko or neko board, you've probably went overboard as far as $$$ goes. that's 1 thing that open labs got right. I think they knew everyone was doing the laptop+midi thing but at the end of the day there product is ahead of that setup with ease of use.

Newbie said:
U may take a look to the Muse Receptor with Komplete Inside, which is a dsp hardware dedicated to ni softs. If you dont absolutely need the portability.
yeah I was thinking about that a while ago too because it has komplete in it for much cheaper than the LX edition of the MIKO and I would save about 1k. but I've read some bad stuff about it like if u already have VSt that u own, you'll have problems installing them because the dll files have to be something they call "receptorized" to work with it. but the miko is an all-in-one workstation. no comparison in my eyes.

The Presonus card inside is wack so you just rock a different card I am using the Fireface 800 but get a qualit sound card...on eof the most overlooked pieces in a studio........I would have thought they would have a higher qulity card but **** it I still ordered it..................

**Anyway, I have this same problem with a lot of all-in-one products. If the features it offers are not stellar in quality I'd rather have 10 separate pieces that do each feature great than one than does them so-so....even if the cost is considerably more.**

Well thats what i'm saying people are being hypocritical - How you gonna say well the Miko is too expensive, and then turn around and get TEN extra things thats will def. out weigh the cost of the MIKO and take up way more if you trying to get the highest quality

1. Mac - 1700 by itself
2. Mpc - 800 to 1500
3. Quality Keyboard 800 to 2000 if you like the motif xs

You have already spent Miko money and you dont have a pre amp , interface or any other of the special tools your complaining about.

And you saying the product is so -so when you havent even used one lol...I've had MPC 4000, motifs, Triton, Mpc 60, digi 002, mbox, m-audio, juno etc...with all the hassle ... i'd rather have the miko trust me

Back