Open Labs Miko is by far...

I bet you a beat that you can.

dansgold said:
No, you really can't. Mimik samples the original devices, it does not model the behavior of the original electronics in any way. You'll end up loading the resulting sampleset in some kind of sample player ... and you'll be limited to whatever you can do with subtractive synthesis techniques from that point on. You certainly won't able to alter the filter cutoff of a somewhat mellow sound to make it brighter, that's for sure ... nor could you alter the release time of a sample with a short release to make it longer. The filters, ADSR, etc. would be those of the playback sampler, not those of the original instrument.

That's not necessarily a showstopper ... especially if you just wnat to load up presets. I just wanted to clarify what is and is not possible with this technology.

Check out this Discription under the "Clone Hardware" Section from musiciansfriend.com

Clone Hardware: When equipped with the Clone Hardware option, NeKo is able to clone any electronic keyboard or hardware sound module. It can literally sample the entire sound library of the hardware product complete with after-touch and effects, thereby in a sense turning it into a softsynth, automatically. With fully assignable banks of faders, knobs, buttons and a 15" color touch-screen, you can recreate the controls of the hardware product that you have just sampled, making the cloning process complete.

PlanetHitzProduction said:
They need to put out a vintage miko. Wit ASR-10 filters and converters

woooooo. That'll be EXTRA dope. Or I might just use the asr beside it. just for drums.

They tried to market a vintage Miko last year: it had a PIII processor and a CRT monitor. Came preinstalled with Fruity Loops ver 2. Almost bankrupted them. :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

when you see new equipment like that it makes you wonder what will they come up with next...did anyone peep timbo on the music awards at the begining using the miko's....maybe there wil be a mac version in the future....check those you tubes of the neko and miko...blows my mind

kyng said:
Check out this Discription under the "Clone Hardware" Section from musiciansfriend.com

Clone Hardware: When equipped with the Clone Hardware option, NeKo is able to clone any electronic keyboard or hardware sound module. It can literally sample the entire sound library of the hardware product complete with after-touch and effects, thereby in a sense turning it into a softsynth, automatically. With fully assignable banks of faders, knobs, buttons and a 15" color touch-screen, you can recreate the controls of the hardware product that you have just sampled, making the cloning process complete.

I appreciate that you are reading ad copy describing a somehwhat overstated best-case scenario. I am speaking from a deep understanding of the technologies involved.

I imagine it's quite possible to get realy decent "clones" of many presets ... my own experience with Emulator X2 would bear that out ... but don't be convinced that Mimik will somehow automatically "clone" every detail and control.

There is no way to sample a sound with a 24db/octave filter set to a fairly low cutoff point, and then have the sample-playback device somehow "add the controls" necessary to restore the harmonics which have already been filtered out in the sampling process.

If you sampled a sound with a particularly high cutoff point, you could certainly run that sound through a VST filter, ADSR, etc. ... but it's extremely unlikely that the response curve of both the filter and envelopes would be the same as the original instument. If you have something as powerful as Kontakt, you could certainly get close enough ... but it's going to be a lot more work than simply firing off a Mimik session to "clone" an entire machine's presets ... Mimik is not going to automatically "figure out" things like whether the original sound had a 2-pole or 4-pole filter, etc. ... it can't.

If you can be led to believe otherwise, then you simply don't understand the technologies involved and their inherent limitations. I do, and I am trying to educate you and others to ad-copy vs. reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention that the effects engines - which play a big part especially with the grand-sounding rompler patches - naturally can't be replicated this way. You either sample with the effects on or off.

dansgold said:
I appreciate that you are reading ad copy describing a somehwhat overstated best-case scenario. I am speaking from a deep understanding of the technologies involved.

I imagine it's quite possible to get realy decent "clones" of many presets ... my own experience with Emulator X2 would bear that out ... but don't be convinced that Mimik will somehow automatically "clone" every detail and control.

There is no way to sample a sound with a 24db/octave filter set to a fairly low cutoff point, and then have the sample-playback device somehow "add the controls" necessary to restore the harmonics which have already been filtered out in the sampling process.

If you sampled a sound with a particularly high cutoff point, you could certainly run that sound through a VST filter, ADSR, etc. ... but it's extremely unlikely that the response curve of both the filter and envelopes would be the same as the original instument. If you have something as powerful as Kontakt, you could certainly get close enough ... but it's going to be a lot more work than simply firing off a Mimik session to "clone" an entire machine's presets ... Mimik is not going to automatically "figure out" things like whether the original sound had a 2-pole or 4-pole filter, etc. ... it can't.

If you can be led to believe otherwise, then you simply don't understand the technologies involved and their inherent limitations. I do, and I am trying to educate you and others to ad-copy vs. reality.

Thank you sir. I was arguing about this with another friend of mine. I told him that while you may have all the "sounds" of other workstations on the Neko or Miko....you will not be able to apply the "hardware" effects of the original workstation unless the sampling is done with those effects in place...

I have never bought into this OpenLabs hype anyways.

flux302 said:
there is one guy that modded his (says he lives in egypt???)
into it being a mac with a korg pad control and a few other standard peices of equip

Why, its already a excellent production tool.

Oh it's fine, fine piece of gear without any doubt. The only thing that keeps me from ordering the "Ultra Uber Dansgold Pimped Edition" to my own specifications is that I don't like the size of the danged thing!

I am in the process of "rolling my own" over the next year or so ... should be interesting.

dansgold said:
Oh it's fine, fine piece of gear without any doubt. The only thing that keeps me from ordering the "Ultra Uber Dansgold Pimped Edition" to my own specifications is that I don't like the size of the danged thing!

I am in the process of "rolling my own" over the next year or so ... should be interesting.

I've always been fascinated by the Open Labs keyboards but I've always thought it was a lousy bang for the buck. Now if they developed their wrapper software as a stand alone program, I'd be all over that: turn your own PC into a standalone machine that bypasses the rest of Windows and goes straight to your music apps.

Mimik looks like a proprietary version of SampleRobot. Wonder if it adds to it any?

it's great to see everybody responding to the awsomeness(not sure if that's a word) of this product. I am dying to get 1 sooner than later. and as far as the MIMIK thing if it's not for you DON'T GET IT! as for me it is awesome and I'm not buying it for the ad campaign they have or with industry producers who probably use it or don't, I'm getting it because I love everything about it and I most Importantly WANT IT.:bat:

I don't think anyone was particularily against the Mimik system, it's just that people seem to have completely unrealistic expectations about it. Same thing with the whole concept - it's beautiful, but you'd be getting about the same power and 70% of the sounds with a $500 PC and a bunch of free plugins; nice idea, ridiculous price.

Hem well,
for me either there is no way you can have the same keyboard just by resampling presets/patches because of all the filters / fx involved on each ones (at leats in good old school keyboards). Lol.

when you see new equipment like that it makes you wonder what will they come up with next
true true true :D

Anyway, my point is that Im very interested in an all ine one something, somehow portable, with a midi controller. Having Emu software on it is a real plus. BUT looking how these open labs peops works mean that ill have to spend 4k$ for one tool - pretty one though - that will be replace by a new top end stuff 6 month after. something times ahead for the same price. i dont like the idea to buy a 4k$ prototype.
For peops who keeps on saying we can have pretty much for pretty less, ok deal - what i need is a workstation portable - emu sounds - sequencing recording made easy - midi controller - sampling. Buy a pc laptop + external midi controller + firewire sound card ? means two times the space that i got with a miko lx + all the cables i got to plug wherever i would be (portable...). well i think open labs idea is ok. perhaps overpriced but its the only one i know so far.

Newbie said:
Hem well,
for me either there is no way you can have the same keyboard just by resampling presets/patches because of all the filters / fx involved on each ones (at leats in good old school keyboards). Lol.

true true true :D

Anyway, my point is that Im very interested in an all ine one something, somehow portable, with a midi controller. Having Emu software on it is a real plus. BUT looking how these open labs peops works mean that ill have to spend 4k$ for one tool - pretty one though - that will be replace by a new top end stuff 6 month after. something times ahead for the same price. i dont like the idea to buy a 4k$ prototype.
For peops who keeps on saying we can have pretty much for pretty less, ok deal - what i need is a workstation portable - emu sounds - sequencing recording made easy - midi controller - sampling. Buy a pc laptop + external midi controller + firewire sound card ? means two times the space that i got with a miko lx + all the cables i got to plug wherever i would be (portable...). well i think open labs idea is ok. perhaps overpriced but its the only one i know so far.

A Proteus does alot of all that I'm pretty sure. Not too familiar with EMU's line so don't quote me on that.

I've seen the You Tube vid's on those monster machines. They are the present and future. That thing is unbelievable!!! I may invest in something like that in the future (next couple years). I've already invested in so much now that I don't even use, it would be silly of me to get one now. I'm still in-training so most my beats in my opinion are still average with a couple that have some flames on them. I use mostly my MPC 1000 and my Roland Fantom Xa keyboard. That's all I need.

Check out my progress.... I've been sampling only for a few months... I have been composing for 2 1/2 years. But like I said I just made the transition from composer to sampler like 2 or 3 months ago.

www.myspace.com/mastamndbeats

Last edited:
Ready for this. You have roughly a $4k budget if you were to buy a Miko. Here you go:

New iMac - $1000
RME Fireface 400 - $1000
Access Virus C - $800
Roland Fantom X6 - $1200 USED

Bottom Line - That set-up I just named right there would DEMOLISH the Miko for everything it's worth, steal it's bag of potatoe chips, eat them, and walk away with a smirk on it's digital little face.

I mean from converters to soundset to synth ability... demolish it. So unless you need portability or you play live a whole **** load, the Miko is an expensive and very unpractical way to going about a studio set-up.

Back