Open Labs Miko is by far...

tylawdaboss

1 of the best things ever created. I mean everything you could want for music and video production in one sexy(refering to Timbo's miko,the white 1) box. And now I hear they have about 12 different keyboards in the new model to just hit. over 25gb of sounds, 25k presets and the ability to run dozens of VSTs with problems?? Why wouldn't you want 1. I was also looking at the Fantom X6 and I know someone will say the Neko or Miko has nothing on the Fantom X6 but so what I can Mimik the Fantom X6 and get the best of both worlds. HA! enough of me ranting. Fellow producers, I am on my money saving journey for my new best friend.... Open Labs here I come!

that makes two of us. I saw one and it looks practically capable of doing pretty much anything. all your studio gear jam packed into one unit, well damn. Just drop another 500gb hdd in the unit to save all your productions.
I can sell a few things i won't need in my studio to get it, and i'm gonna start considering it while i drinking a few corona's.

yeah i've been up on the neko and miko boards for a while now... very expensive. very powerful. wouldn't say it's somthen that you NEED but if you have the dough... why not??? only thing is that alot of people talk about how they go on the net with em.... **** i would never go on the net with a windows based peice of music equip.an can u imagine a virus on that thing.... that would suuuuuck

djdivined said:
that makes two of us. I saw one and it looks practically capable of doing pretty much anything. all your studio gear jam packed into one unit, well damn. Just drop another 500gb hdd in the unit to save all your productions.
I can sell a few things i won't need in my studio to get it, and i'm gonna start considering it while i drinking a few corona's.

well cheers to that:cheers: I mean the pros of this thing definitely outweight the cons. what I'll do is just throw all the VSTs I have now in that monster. that on top of the presets in it already plus MIMIK!! I'm gonna rent every keyboard I can to MIMIk there sounds and have some great sounds.

there is one guy that modded his (says he lives in egypt???)
into it being a mac with a korg pad control and a few other standard peices of equip

tylawdaboss said:
well cheers to that:cheers: I mean the pros of this thing definitely outweight the cons. what I'll do is just throw all the VSTs I have now in that monster. that on top of the presets in it already plus MIMIK!! I'm gonna rent every keyboard I can to MIMIk there sounds and have some great sounds.

ya i never thought about that, renting boards and mimiking. **** that means any new board comming out in the future you can mimik. sounds good to me.

I'm building my own ... details may follow one of these days.

about that mimik..can someone explain how it would be a good thing?? cuz if for example you get an analog based synth like a virus. you wont be using its sounds too all of its capabilities because of what the virus has to offer. all youll save is the preset before they put on the efects im guessing. i dont see how that would be a good thing. i know you can still do some **** with the other different effects on it, but it still wouldnt be the same as having the actual nord lead, virus ti, or roland vsynth. if im wrong please correct me.

KaotikSoundz said:
about that mimik..can someone explain how it would be a good thing?? cuz if for example you get an analog based synth like a virus. you wont be using its sounds too all of its capabilities because of what the virus has to offer. all youll save is the preset before they put on the efects im guessing. i dont see how that would be a good thing. i know you can still do some **** with the other different effects on it, but it still wouldnt be the same as having the actual nord lead, virus ti, or roland vsynth. if im wrong please correct me.
I'm not absolutely sure, BUT, I can tell you there is a rep that works for Open Labs on this board name Valerie. She answered a lot of questions in another post. you might want to look her name up. The more synthy based boards might have a different process for MIMIk. but I'm sure you can still do it.

flux302 said:
there is one guy that modded his (says he lives in egypt???)
into it being a mac with a korg pad control and a few other standard peices of equip
yeah I saw that on Youtube but to be honest, It didnt look half as good as the Miko. Just some random guy trying to be Mr. DIY. But hey whatever floats you boat right:)

dansgold said:
I'm building my own ... details may follow one of these days.

I'd love to see that. When you put it up let us know. We would also like to see video of it if possible.

Last edited:
Building one would not be all that hard to do. If only I had a garage, I'd start gettin down on the fiberglass. I would be worried about latency when laying drums with a neko or home built type of rig.

Last edited:
They need to put out a vintage miko. Wit ASR-10 filters and converters

woooooo. That'll be EXTRA dope. Or I might just use the asr beside it. just for drums.

Whiteboy954 said:
Building one would not be all that hard to do. If only I had a garage, I'd start gettin down on the fiberglass. I would be worried about latency when laying drums with a neko or home built type of rig.

see with the miko or neko you wouldn't have to worry about that. it has vitually no latency because the open labs boards have special drivers that open labs create specifically for there brand. but i see what you mean if you got the room and materials but i guarantee it won't be like how the miko or niko (no offense)

none taken, have you used one of their boards? I understand that they've paid producers take a picture with the board and use their likeness, but that doesn't quite convince me of the existence of these "special drivers" or the fact that "virtually no latency" means it will be like working with actual equipment, because when you get down to it, they are windows pcs with a 61 key keyboard and some controllers built into them.

KaotikSoundz said:
Yes you can. You can assign the faders and knobs to the orginal keyboards fader and knobs and still use them after it has been Mimiked. Now the con of this is if you have something like a moog voyager you may be SOL when it come to assigning all the knobs.

kyng said:
Yes you can. You can assign the faders and knobs to the orginal keyboards fader and knobs and still use them after it has been Mimiked. ...
No, you really can't. Mimik samples the original devices, it does not model the behavior of the original electronics in any way. You'll end up loading the resulting sampleset in some kind of sample player ... and you'll be limited to whatever you can do with subtractive synthesis techniques from that point on. You certainly won't able to alter the filter cutoff of a somewhat mellow sound to make it brighter, that's for sure ... nor could you alter the release time of a sample with a short release to make it longer. The filters, ADSR, etc. would be those of the playback sampler, not those of the original instrument.

That's not necessarily a showstopper ... especially if you just wnat to load up presets. I just wanted to clarify what is and is not possible with this technology.

Is'nt the highlife freeware sampler, and Direct wave both capable of the same thing as mimik?

I know I can take any vsti into Highlife, and it will convert it into a multisampled preset.

If what Highlife, and DirectWave are doing is the same, or very similar, then why so much hype about mimik???

Last edited:
^^^ Highlife and Directwave are similar in concept, but different in scope. They are capable of taking VSTs and creating pretty decent multisamples.

Mimik - and also Emu's SynthSwipe - are designed to do this with external keyboards/workstations/synths/sound modules. They do this by automating the process of sending MIDI note commands at different velocities and recording the results. Synthswipe also does a good job of automatically creatings loop points and useable programs from the resulting multisample set. I have no experience with Mimik, but I imagine it does something similar.

i dont understand the hype, i mean ok, it has combined things, but you can build the same setup if not a better one for ALOT cheaper. i thinks its way overpriced. im not knocking it or trying to put down any body who has one, coz i havent tried one yet, but from what ive read and seen it doesnt appear to be anything special??.

I just dont like the idea, i mean with my setup right now, if my midi keyboard has a problem, then i just send it off get it fixed, and use my backup till its done, but if something goes inside this wont you have to ship the whole unit? just conversation not bashing.

"1 of the best things ever created" or "overhyped PC in a fancy box with a bunch of freebie softsynths and a ridiculous price tag"? Dunno...

Back