Official Asr X/pro Discussion...

Bravo(1)

Professional Smart ***
This discussion is dedicated to all of those who dared to stumble off the beaten path of the MPC...

Ok, so you were just looking for a low cost alternative to a hardware sampler/sequencer. Little did you know you've struck gold with this soon to be classic machine.

So come and submit your questions, thought's and concerns about this...dare is say, MPC Killer...

Enter the misfit world of the ASR X/PRO users...

Last edited:
Before I got my MPC, I worked exclusively on the X-Pro. Even now I still use it. I wouldn't trade it for the world. People are starting to come around to it slowly.

I definately recognize the strength's of the two machines.

What would you say are the differences between the two?

The biggest difference is the sampling engine. The X wins here hands down!!! The sequencer on the X doesn't suck like most people say, but it does have it's quirks. I started on the EPS 16 & Later the ASR-10. I wish the sequencer particularly the song mode was closer to the 10. With the 10, you could make 1 sequence & mute tracks in & out as you please. You can't do that on the X. this slows you down. Also the thing that really pisses me off is you can only switch from sequence to sequence in pattern mode, & in pattern mode, U can't toggle between instruments. overall, it's a great machine. As far as the sounds, if you could tweak them more from the machine itself instead of the computer (with Chicken Systems ASR-X tools)they would have really been at the top of the rompler market. EMU shot themselves in the foot by pulling the plug before this machine was fully developed. I think they could have killed Akai if they would have worked out all of there bugs with a new OS update.

I've considered sequencing in Cubase but I've gotten so keen at looping my samples in the X i decided to look past it's faults (none of which I can think of really) and do my sequencing on board.

having considered an MPC myself, in what way does the X sample better? Overall sound quality?

I must admit resampling on this machine is a stroke of genius!

Have you gotten into the Envelopes yet?

The ASR-X was my first sampling drum machine, before that I had a Boss DR-5. I bought it on a recommendation from a producer named Scandales. He was using an MPC60 and had played me Mos Def's "Miss Fat Booty" produced by his friend Ayatollah. As I was low on cash at the time he recommended I find a used ASR-X to start off. Probably the best investment I ever made. I have since bought an MPC3000 and left the X alone for a couple of years, Until I discovered it's multi-sample capabilities, now I'm back on the X train. I look forward to giving tips to other ASR-X users.

TrakNyce aka Ty Fiasco.

Originally posted by TrakNyce ... Until I discovered it's multi-sample capabilities, now I'm back on the X train. I look forward to giving tips to other ASR-X users.

TrakNyce aka Ty Fiasco. [/B]

What do you mean by "multisample"

"Multi-sample" refers to an instrument mapped to keys so it can be played with a MIDI keyboard, for example a solo violin patch consisting of several individual note samples, mapped out to cover the notes of a keyboard. This is the method used in many keyboard workstations today.

TrakNyce said:
"Multi-sample" refers to an instrument mapped to keys so it can be played with a MIDI keyboard, for example a solo violin patch consisting of several individual note samples, mapped out to cover the notes of a keyboard. This is the method used in many keyboard workstations today.

Oh, the MPC doesn't do that?

I've been meaning to inquire about that. Isn't that simply sampling a note of an instrument dialing up the *custom* setting and playing across the pads.

Is that similar to the way someone would sample is a bass note? how would one get said sample to loop seamless or play continually as in Keyboard workstatons?

I am interested with the ASR-X pro. Do you have to transfer everything you put on it or is there a way to tranfer it on to it. Can it be hooked to a midi clock such as Cubase?

Saint MSEnt said:
I am interested with the ASR-X pro. Do you have to transfer everything you put on it or is there a way to tranfer it on to it. Can it be hooked to a midi clock such as Cubase?

Didn't quite understand your first question, but yes It can me synced to Cubase.

Bravo(1) said:

Oh, the MPC doesn't do that?

I've been meaning to inquire about that. Isn't that simply sampling a note of an instrument dialing up the *custom* setting and playing across the pads.

Is that similar to the way someone would sample is a bass note? how would one get said sample to loop seamless or play continually as in Keyboard workstatons?

The MPC "can" do it too but it's such a headache to even try to do it. The MPC pads are mapped in such a way that it's VERY difficult to get the right note mapped to the right pad, and have it as a playable patch from a MIDI keyboard. The ASR-X pads are already mapped like a keyboard so it's much more intuitive. The sample can be set to loop seamlessly, it escapes my memory at this precise moment, but I have done it before with a rock guitar patch I made. Of course most of my patches I get from other sources like Akai S1000 sound discs, Ensoniq EPS and ASR-10 disks. Or downloaded from various Ensoniq sound sites.

Saint MSEnt said:

The ASR-X can be synced to Cubase through MIDI. I have mine slaved to Cubase to record the audio tracks into either Cubase or Nuendo so vocals can then be recorded.

TrakNyce said:

The ASR-X can be synced to Cubase through MIDI. I have mine slaved to Cubase to record the audio tracks into either Cubase or Nuendo so vocals can then be recorded.

Oh,

So your using the X and Cubase togather too huh?

I'm gonna keep your contact on speed dial!

Hope your not easily frustrated. I got lotsa dumb questions headed your way...

Bravo(1) said:

Oh,

So your using the X and Cubase togather too huh?

I'm gonna keep your contact on speed dial!

Hope your not easily frustrated. I got lotsa dumb questions headed your way...

LOL! I had lots of questions too once, still do. We never stop learning new things.

Bravo(1) said:

Yo,

It's Bravo1, B!

ha ha!

I know you started the official thread Bravo, shout to you too!! I meant shout to mano1 the moderator for actually making it an official thread. LOL.

Oh and I'm still looking for any high resolution images of the ASR-X or ASR-X Pro. As large and detailed as possible for the website I'm doing. If anyone has any or can take some cool shots of their X, let me know.

TrakNyce said:

I know you started the official thread Bravo, shout to you too!! I meant shout to mano1 the moderator for actually making it an official thread. LOL.

Yo,

I ain't even know...

Just let me get a piece of that publishing!

spoken like a true producer right?!?!

Back