Official Asr X/pro Discussion...

Can anyone offer any suggestions how how they're using any of the features in the X (filters, effects, eq, bit reduction) to make their samples (drum hits, and well as instrument grooves and loops) sound "phat"

I haven't been able to come up with a schaeme for gettin my sounds to the next level after I sample them.

I'd like to make my own drum kits from vinyl samples, as well as get my loops to sound a little for polished.

Should I be processng externally of the X?

What's your advice?

Last edited:
Do any of you guys sequence multiple midi devices with the ASR X? I've struggling with this for a minute.

Any one chopping their own drum kits with the ASR X? I'm trying to get them things smacking but need a process to follow.

Do I have to sample an absolute "open" drum sample?

Last edited:
Bravo(1) said:
Any one chopping their own drum kits with the ASR X? I'm trying to get them things smacking but need a process to follow.

Do I have to sample an absolute "open" drum sample?

What's up Bravo. When I make drum kits I try to get the most open sample I can, but sometimes the sample has another sound in it that gives it a certain character that a clean drum sample wouldn't have. Sometimes the kick has a hat with it and I'll just use it like that.

TrakNyce said:

What's up Bravo. When I make drum kits I try to get the most open sample I can, but sometimes the sample has another sound in it that gives it a certain character that a clean drum sample wouldn't have. Sometimes the kick has a hat with it and I'll just use it like that.

TrakNyce,

I see...so what internal processes are you using to give them drums some polish? For me this filters take to much away from the sample. where should I be chopping at, because sometimes the end point can end abrupt.

I'm trying to chop this Al Green record for those signature drums but can't catch it right!

Bravo(1) said:

TrakNyce,

I see...so what internal processes are you using to give them drums some polish? For me this filters take to much away from the sample. where should I be chopping at, because sometimes the end point can end abrupt.

I'm trying to chop this Al Green record for those signature drums but can't catch it right!

For what you're trying to do I would suggest chopping the drum hits in a wave editor on the pc then loading the drum sounds into the x and doing a bit reduction. The sample start point should be right at the attack of the drum hit and the end point should give the sample room to breathe but chop off any sounds after the sample. If the sample sounds like it cuts off to abruptly, try a drastic fade out on the sample. Then load into your x.

TrakNyce said:

For what you're trying to do I would suggest chopping the drum hits in a wave editor on the pc then loading the drum sounds into the x and doing a bit reduction. The sample start point should be right at the attack of the drum hit and the end point should give the sample room to breathe but chop off any sounds after the sample. If the sample sounds like it cuts off to abruptly, try a drastic fade out on the sample. Then load into your x.

ok, now it's getting interesting...

So your saying I'd be doing myself a great justice my using a wave editior as opposed to chopping by ear? I can imagine your right it's just that I've never used one for that purpose and wonder what advantages would that route pose. A fade out sounds like what I need to soften the ends of drum hits. Are there any other features I could apply to make the sounds thump and smack? I'm assuming Sound Forge would do the trick...is that available for free download?

Bravo(1) said:

ok, now it's getting interesting...

So your saying I'd be doing myself a great justice my using a wave editior as opposed to chopping by ear? I can imagine your right it's just that I've never used one for that purpose and wonder what advantages would that route pose. A fade out sounds like what I need to soften the ends of drum hits. Are there any other features I could apply to make the sounds thump and smack? I'm assuming Sound Forge would do the trick...is that available for free download?

Sometimes it's easier to see the waveform, especially if you're trying to get a sound from a song. I use Wavelab, but Cool Edit would work too, I've never used soundforge so I can't comment on it.

*trying to keep from throwing this thing*

I'm currently unabele to save or load any files via SCSI Zip or
floppy drive. It gives me several different messages including...

"Can't open file"
"Disk unable to be read"
"Not enough disk space" (when there is disk space)
"Disk write failed"
"Invalid sample size"
etc....

Needless to say this delima renders this thing pretty useless for
me.

Can anyone please offer advice???

*holding breath*

One very upset ASR X Pro user...

Bravo(1) said:
*trying to keep from throwing this thing*

I'm currently unabele to save or load any files via SCSI Zip or
floppy drive. It gives me several different messages including...

"Can't open file"
"Disk unable to be read"
"Not enough disk space" (when there is disk space)
"Disk write failed"
"Invalid sample size"
etc....

Needless to say this delima renders this thing pretty useless for
me.

Can anyone please offer advice???

*holding breath*

One very upset ASR X Pro user...

Man, I wish I could help with this but it has never happened to me.

TrakNyce said:

Man, I wish I could help with this but it has never happened to me.

Man,

Tell me about it...

I really wish I had a spare X. Don't know what to do. Probably have to ship it off somewhere and cross my fingers.

#$^@! !@#!

I'm gonna try hard not to break down and max out my card for an MPC.

Does the ASR-X support Folders??? also... editing... is it all numeral, like a MPC60/3000. When chopping, do you just go by ear? Overall userbility.. is it an easy machine to pick up and learn?

MelleMel said:
Does the ASR-X support Folders??? also... editing... is it all numeral, like a MPC60/3000. When chopping, do you just go by ear? Overall userbility.. is it an easy machine to pick up and learn?

Not exactly sure what you mean by navigating folders, but yes it can navigate the folder in which you save files in.

The main learning curve for this box is the way in which it stores and assigns samples. Once you get your head in that aspect you'll see it's quite practicle. Everything else in a breeze.

Well what I meant is like... for my MPC, id have one zip of drums set up like... Root-->
Kicks
Snares
Hats
Perc
Noises -->
Files...

basically 'folder support'... the 2000xl has it, but the 2000. Im thinking about trying an ASR out and I dont want to have to "re design' the structure of all my zips if it doesnt have folder support. see what im saying now?

MelleMel said:
Well what I meant is like... for my MPC, id have one zip of drums set up like... Root-->
Kicks
Snares
Hats
Perc
Noises -->
Files...

basically 'folder support'... the 2000xl has it, but the 2000. Im thinking about trying an ASR out and I dont want to have to "re design' the structure of all my zips if it doesnt have folder support. see what im saying now?

In that aspect, yes it does support the navigation of folders. Mine are set up in a similar way with the ASR X. It might take a little getting used to with the ASR X becuase it has a smaller screen display, but nonetheless basic.

Keeping in mind though you may only load the files that are supported my the ASR. I'm not sure If you be able to load any disk specifically designed for the MPC. But if your referring to "one shot" wav files these can be loaded into the X.

Might I ask what reason are you considering the ASR X?

Hey thanks for all the responses. I consider it cuz of all the filters and the sampling engine and they damn cheap espeically over the inflated prices of damn used MPC's right now. I copped my first XL for $650 and that had internal zip, 8 outs and full memory, and **** those are selling for $900 now. Ridiculous. But anyways all the zips ive made in the past are all wav's so they should work fine. I never saved in .SND (MPC) format. Just sO I could keep my samples universal. Thanks

MelleMel said:
Hey thanks for all the responses. I consider it cuz of all the filters and the sampling engine and they damn cheap espeically over the inflated prices of damn used MPC's right now. I copped my first XL for $650 and that had internal zip, 8 outs and full memory, and **** those are selling for $900 now. Ridiculous. But anyways all the zips ive made in the past are all wav's so they should work fine. I never saved in .SND (MPC) format. Just sO I could keep my samples universal. Thanks

sounds like you'll be safe. now that I think about it i think it can load Akai (.snd) sounds as well. As far as value, it's probably the best piece of hardware you could invest in...It has it's bugs there is plenty of support resouses for it despite it being discountinued...

I only pray that one day Emu (Ensoniq) will build a new sampler built on the ASR X platform.

I know I'd jump on that pronto!

Back