Official Asr X/pro Discussion...

i just copped 2 ASR X PROS for about $600...1 has the 8 0ut expansion

I dont really have much experience with them as they just came in within the past month. I can say that I think its a dope machine and the fact that I scored 2 for less than people pay for 1 MPC is even doper. For real, I like the way the pads are laid out on the ASR (vs MPC) alot better, as I find its easier for laying down drum patterns and melodies.

At this point, Im just starting but this is the plan of attack.

I have an ASR X PRO w/ 8 outs in my studio linked to my PC through a JAZ drive (PC-->usb-->JAZ-->scsi-->ASR X) and basically I have Emulator X on my PC so i sample and chop up w/ my PC, then flip **** into the JAZ drive and can access it with my ASR X. My other ASR X is in the living room solo just SCSIed out to another JAZ, which I transport disks to and fro to bring samples from my PC to the living room. (its like a sketch pad, so I can chill and watch TV and hang while I bang out some butters, and then always bring that to the more complete setup and funk with it up there, plus it rols with when i travel).

Anyway, Im looking forward to this thread, as I need some tips and tricks to master the X.

All i can really advise you of is:
ASR X CITE seems to be a good web site for X users.

Word to those who choose to lead and not follow.

Peace and 1.

S1KS

TrakNyce said:

I know you started the official thread Bravo, shout to you too!! I meant shout to mano1 the moderator for actually making it an official thread. LOL.

Just curious...

What makes this thread official anyway?

Originally posted by s1ks [/i]

I have an ASR X PRO w/ 8 outs in my studio linked to my PC through a JAZ drive (PC-->usb-->JAZ-->scsi-->ASR X) and basically I have Emulator X on my PC so i sample and chop up w/ my PC, then flip **** into the JAZ drive and can access it with my ASR X. My other ASR X is in the living room solo just SCSIed out to another JAZ, which I transport disks to and fro to bring samples from my PC to the living room. (its like a sketch pad, so I can chill and watch TV and hang while I bang out some butters, and then always bring that to the more complete setup and funk with it up there, plus it rols with when i travel).

Anyway, Im looking forward to this thread, as I need some tips and tricks to master the X.

All i can really advise you of is:
ASR X CITE seems to be a good web site for X users.

So are you saying you can dump files back in forth between the PC and X via SCSI? If so are you running Win XP?

I heard the X doesn't gel with XP, so I never bothered adding a SCSI card to my PC.

ASR Excite is great, but outdated...

This is the new ASR X Flavor right here!

Here's a thought many of you might be able to relate with...

Pound for pound, value vs value, an ASR X Pro and Cubase (LE, SE) pack tne most Sampling/Midi/Sequencing/Recording punch for your buck out there.

To get the beat to the computer I gotta track everything off? That's why I want to know can it be hooked thru Midi to Cubase or anything else. So I can be lazy and when I track things out, just push play and everything goes where it's supposed to. Dont you need the expander to control the volumes of each track in the ASR-X Pro?

Saint MSEnt said:
To get the beat to the computer I gotta track everything off? That's why I want to know can it be hooked thru Midi to Cubase or anything else. So I can be lazy and when I track things out, just push play and everything goes where it's supposed to. Dont you need the expander to control the volumes of each track in the ASR-X Pro?

Yes, The ASR can be synced via Midi to Cubase's sequencer so that when you press play in Cubase the ASR X will start/stop right along with the cubase transport.

The X-8 expander simply allows you to seperate your tracks as you record them into Cubase. ie you can route seperate sounds of your sequence in the X through the various outputs and record said outputs on seperate channels in Cubase simultaneously. The same can be achieved w/o the expander...you just have to solo the track you want to record out of the box, and record one at a time (if your recording in mono you can record 2 tracks at a time if you pan the sounds to the left/right stereo channels)

so the expander is not necessary, but it makes recording more efficient.

In regards to the ASR X PRO being SCSIed out to a PC w/ WINXP:

Im really not sure if it would work as a direct link to the PC. What I intend to do is have a JAZ drive hooked up to my PC via USB and also to my ASR X PRO via SCSI. I will then have to dump files from the PC to the JAZ disk and then access the JAZ with the ASR X, its the best solution I could come up with, and JAZ drives sell for cheap on ebay nowadays, and hold upto 2 Gigs per disk. You can get JAZ drives for dirt, its the USB connect that will run you some $$$, but I feel for the convenience and storage capacity its well worth it.

s1ks said:
In regards to the ASR X PRO being SCSIed out to a PC w/ WINXP:

Im really not sure if it would work as a direct link to the PC. What I intend to do is have a JAZ drive hooked up to my PC via USB and also to my ASR X PRO via SCSI. I will then have to dump files from the PC to the JAZ disk and then access the JAZ with the ASR X, its the best solution I could come up with, and JAZ drives sell for cheap on ebay nowadays, and hold upto 2 Gigs per disk. You can get JAZ drives for dirt, its the USB connect that will run you some $$$, but I feel for the convenience and storage capacity its well worth it.

It would not be a direct link from the ASR-X Pro to the pc. Linking the ASR to a drive via SCSI then the drive to the pc is the quickest way to transfer sounds from the pc. I have done this too, with a zip drive.

TrakNyce said:

It would not be a direct link from the ASR-X Pro to the pc. Linking the ASR to a drive via SCSI then the drive to the pc is the quickest way to transfer sounds from the pc. I have done this too, with a zip drive.

Say word?

So I guess the zip drive would have to have both a SCSI and a USB connection right? Or do would it be a pure SCSI drive with a SCSI=>USB adapter? Do they sell those?

Hey, for all intended purposes you could subsitite the zip drive for and external HD, right? That would rock in my opinon saving all audio files (ASR Samples/Sequences and Audio projects) to that.

I've just heard all the horror stories about Jaz Drives going haywire and all.

hmmmm....

Yes you could use an external SCSI hard drive as well. The zip I used had 2 SCSI ports and a USB slot. I hooked up the USB to the PC and a SCSI port to my X.

I've had my ASR-X Pro for a little over two years now and just started messing with the envelopes and such. When I get a chance I try to read the manual, because for the longest time I was try'in to find "note cutoff" (MPC jargon). I sequence my X from my 60, so I tried looking it up in the manual. Finally found out how to cut my open hi-hat with a tight hat. Check out "Key Group Assign" in your manual, it'll explain. Also, through the use of filters I created a more realistic bass kick. If you've ever seen a band or mess with a drum set, you know the characteristic sound of a bass kick. When hit softly, it makes a soft thump and low frequencies are heard; when hit harder, the thump is louder but the frequency changes. What I'm working on now is trying to get the snare characteristics. The softer it's hit, the less the head of the snare modulates and the semitone may change a hair. It's a challenge but whoever said they'll post a website for this machine, let me know, and I'll give whatever info I have.

Is the ASR-X Pro like the ASR-10 but in a drum machine form? does it have the same kick ass fetures like the ASR-10?

Sorry if it sounds stupid but I''m new to this.

killahbeez said:
Is the ASR-X Pro like the ASR-10 but in a drum machine form? does it have the same kick ass fetures like the ASR-10?

Sorry if it sounds stupid but I''m new to this.

That was the initial idea behind the ASR-X. It has a lot of the same features, minus the keyboard. The sequencers are different.

TrakNyce said:

That was the initial idea behind the ASR-X. It has a lot of the same features, minus the keyboard. The sequencers are different.

CAN I GET A,,,,,,,, WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man your way off, it was not ment to be a asr 10 in a box

Back