No Sound/Output from MPC 1000??

freestylesanch

Hey there everybody. Whats going on?? I usually dont peep to much through these forums cause I havent had as much time, but I been around here and there for years, absorbing all that I can. Now I got a little dillema I ran into here. I have an MPC 1000, ( it literally sat unused for about a year and a half) and I hadnt had as much time for music and really never used it. Over the past few months I wanted to get back into the swing of things. I used to use the pc and fruityloops and reason, but thought I'd try to hardward route, picking up a mpc 1000.korg karma, a few grooveboxes and some other random gear. Now everything works fine when hooked up to my mixer or my little crate 8" guitar amp, only problem is, is that the MPC 1000 is getting no sound or output. Now take in mind I never used this mpc before, so it could maybe be a setting or something I dont have turned on. Kind of weird that I wasnt getting any sound out of the headphone port either. It seems like the machine is working, cause the lcd lights up, it shows where it initilizes the ram and than just loads. I can navigate through the menus and whatnot, but when I hit a pad I get no sound. It came with a 32 mb compact flash card which I think is factory default sounds or somethings. Theres a few demo beats and sounds on there, and when I load the sounds from the internal memory, it will show the data for the track/song, and even when I press start/ play on the mpc it shows the little level fluctuating like its putting out output, but lo and behold I got no sound what so ever. I dont think its a physical connection, because I been hooking up instruments to my mixer for years with no problem. Tried to hook up the grooveboxes the other night just to make sure it wasnt a mixer or connection problem , and everything worked fine. Just kind of stumped as to what this could be. I dont have the manual, and ended up finding one on the internet, but It doesnt really say anything about this problem. Could this be a physical problem?? Like maybe the 1/4'' ins going bad or something?? I dont know but last time I checked it about a year ago it worked fine. Just seems kind of strange that it would power up and seem like its alright but doesnt put out any sound. It could just be setting I need to assign or turn on or something. Not sure what it could be. If anyone could shed some light on this and let me know whats up I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks

freestylesanch

when you go to load an individual sound try previewing the sample before you load it and make sure your main volume is up...the knob on the top right.

Thanks man, but

I kind of figured I was gonna get the obvious answers. I'm pretty sure all that is turned up. What I'm trying to do now is just load the 32mb factory compact flash that comes with the mpc so I can at least audition to see if the sounds actually working or not. It could be something stupid on my end, but I think I'm pretty much past all the basic stuff regarding connection, so now I think its gotta be a setting or something kind of little. I mean at least I'm getting power and everything so for the most part I'm okay there. I did look in the manual and it says something like Please note that the MPC1000 cannot play back the data directly from a memory card. You have to load the data from a card to RAM to play back. I'm wondering if its just something as little as that?? I've been trying to load to ram, where it has the option of loading from internal memory, or loading from memory card, and even when I do all that I still get no sound. If I'm doing this or any other procedure wrong please let me know. I'm wondering if I have to assign outs or something?? I would imagine I'd be able to go from my stereo l/r out to my mixer ins and I should be good right?? Didnt seem like I had this much trouble last time. Seems like I just hooked up and went. Although this mpc 1000 has been sitting for over a year, I still dont think that the output could be cooked like that. Like I said, it does get power so I'm alright there. Just want to get this thing going, cause lately I been using my grooveboxes and keyboards to make beats, and I want to start sampling and I dont have a music computer to sample with, so my only option at the moment is getting this mpc wrong. Even if I'm not loading correctly to ram please let me know. At least if I can get any sound from this, I'll know that for the most part it works and than I can just gradually go from there. Thanks in advanced.

freestylesanch

hum

Hey guys thanks for the responses.I'm not sure if thats it or what. I got to the menu where its supposed to have that pad to internal sound option and mine only has "Active Track Receive Channel", and Soft Thru. I dont see the option where it says "Pad to internal sound". It shows something like that on this website
http://www.retrevo.com/r/23200ag713/48/Cutting+off+internal+sound+Pad+(Setting+Local/ , but as I said I'm not sure what the deal is. I think I need to be taken step by step to do this. I can even get to pad 9 and in the note section it shows all my sounds assigned to the pads and if I hit a pad it will tell me what sound it is. Not sure if these are coming from memory card, or internal memory, but I took the memory card out and was able to load the same sounds so I must have saved em to the internal memory. Theres gotta be something I'm missing here, cause everything else seems to work error free, like menus and all that. I'm hooking it straight into my mackie mixer from the stereo l/r outs. Thats how I hook all my other pieces of gear and everything else works fine. Its gotta be something stupid, unless in the end it is bad inputs or what, but I really dont see how that could be the problem since it hasnt really been used and abused that much. Like maybe I have some sound off setting our output off setting or something. Maybe I'm not loading the sounds from the memory card to ram correctly but I believe these sounds already come with pgm files so they map automatically, and like I said earlier when under pad 9 on the note section I can see all my assigned sounds to the pads. Even if I hit bank b or c I still see all these different sounds assigned to the pads, and when I hit a pad it will go that assigned sound, etc etc. I'll have to keep looking around to see whats up. Really I'm thinking it something little but than again I'm not really sure as this thing probably sat unusued for about a year or two, but I dont think that should matter since it hasnt been used much in the first place. Any other suggestions of help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Freestylesanch

try loading an individual sound or better how about you record something into it and put some headphones on when youre done sampling preview the sound by clicking f5 or w/e button it is to preview it...(1)load a sound make sure its a wav. and not a pgm. (2) hit a pad& turn the click wheel till you see the sound you loaded...(3)assign that sound to the pad you hit.. or you can even hit the mode button then the pad that says trim and you should see the waveform of your sample and press pad 1.

Thanks guys for the response. I really havent had anytime to mess with this. been so busy. Hope I could get it working. I mean everything else seems to be functioning right. I do got a few other compact flash cards, maybe I'll try to put some samples on there and see whats up. Maybe my compact flash card is bad or something. Who knows. Oh well. Gonna keep trying. Thanks a bunch for all the replys.

Hey thanks guys. I know this post is two weeks old, but I wanted to thank everyone for trying to helping me. I think it was a defunct flash card, cause when I put a new flash card in everything seemed to work fine. My old flash card with all my samples and the default seqs/sounds must have got corrupt cause now its working wonderful. Yay!! Thanks fam.

*OnE*

Last edited:
without reading these long ass post, makes sure u have pad to internal sound turned on

I made an account just so I can respond to your post. Thank you very much. I was about to start killing children because I couldn't figure out wtf I did to my MPC to make it stop playing my samples. Thanks again.

Yup that did the trick. Still have the mpc 1000 6 years later. I really need to get back into playing with that. I'm surprised I remembered
my login info from this account. FPs still in the game. lol!

Last edited:
Back