NI Maschine vs Motu BPM

Quartz Loque

I'm considering one of these as my all in one sampling / beat making work station.

My dillema lies in which one of these will be better suited. Maschine looks great because of the integration with hardware and software. As soon as I saw that you could see the waveform on the screens and edit them I was sold.

However I have an MPD24 and I am wondering how well this will integrate with BPM?

Are there any major differences between the two that you think will hinder an all in one beat making solution?

Cheers,

QL

I don't know about how different they are. I know that BPM has a much larger library (15 gig vs. 5 gigs). I think the best thing about Maschine is the hardware element. I was really impressed with both when they first came out, but for what it's worth, I can do everything that both of these programs can do and more with Ableton Live's Drum Racks.

My suggestion to you for an "all in one sampling/beat making work station" is Ableton Live.

True - but a lot of that is intrument loops and not drums. If loops does it for you, that yeah. But you can download way better loops for free. or sample in your own

kb420 said:
I don't know about how different they are. I know that BPM has a much larger library (15 gig vs. 5 gigs). I think the best thing about Maschine is the hardware element. I was really impressed with both when they first came out, but for what it's worth, I can do everything that both of these programs can do and more with Ableton Live's Drum Racks.

My suggestion to you for an "all in one sampling/beat making work station" is Ableton Live.

i vote for mashine because of the hardware box and how you can do everything right from the box. i'd watch some more vids on both if i were you, that mashine looks dope. i'm pretty much on the same page as kb420, if i didn't already have Live, i'd go with mashine. but Live is the sht, and with that apc40 comin, it kills both mashine and bpm put together.
LevLove

GWIZ said:
True - but a lot of that is intrument loops and not drums. If loops does it for you, that yeah. But you can download way better loops for free. or sample in your own

Well, you can buy or sample your own drum sounds. I don't think BPM or Maschine gives you what Live does when it comes to Drum Racks, Slicing, and overall sample manipulation.

I was looking into both of these too. I went with the NI Maschine. The sounds are very usable. You can get that SP-1200 lo-fi sound with it. It has a lo-fi setting for every pad as well as a lo-fi effect. I haven't used BPM so I can't compare but I did a ton research before I made my choice. If a super fast work flow is important to you then you should try Maschine. The pads are so much better then the MPD24 (I had one). They even do that MPC retrigger thing if your finger bounces after you hit it. I was tempted by BPM's huge library but after you put all your own sounds in there it won't even matter. And yes you can do almost everything from the controller. My screen saver comes on all the time because I'm not touching my keyboard or mouse while I'm making beats.
OK now for some of the bad points. You can't truncate a sample. No midi out yet. Midi in only works on the selected sound. No groove templates but it does have a bunch of settings for swing on the group page. Does not support REX. Some people are not happy with the beat slicing (It's kinda of limited). Only 8 Stereo outs.

madvibepro said:
OK now for some of the bad points. You can't truncate a sample. No midi out yet. Midi in only works on the selected sound. No groove templates but it does have a bunch of settings for swing on the group page. Does not support REX. Some people are not happy with the beat slicing (It's kinda of limited). Only 8 Stereo outs.

That's why I said I don't believe the hype. Ableton Live has all of that, except for groove templates which will be available in Live 8.

Live is a completely different work flow. Personally I couldn't get my head around it because I don't use loops and really don't like how it sounds. Live is more for triggering loops Maschine is more for tapping out beats. Both can do a little of each but their strengths a different. And don't forget Live is at version 8 where as Maschine just came out.

madvibepro said:
Live is a completely different work flow. Personally I couldn't get my head around it because I don't use loops and really don't like how it sounds. Live is more for triggering loops Maschine is more for tapping out beats. Both can do a little of each but their strengths a different. And don't forget Live is at version 8 where as Maschine just came out.

"Live is a completely different work flow." I agree with that.

If you couldn't get your head around it, and you didn't like how it sounds, that's a personal preference. Sound however is also subjective. If you care to offer proof that Live's sound engine is in any way inferior to Maschine's or BPM's, then I would like to see some definitive proof.

"Live is more for triggering loops Maschine is more for tapping out beats." That's just your opinion. Drum Racks is every bit as equipped for tapping out beats, and then some. While I can almost understand that someone who doesn't use Live may think that all it does is trigger loops, this theory is completely wrong. Live has what's called a Session View, and an Arrangement View which is linear like most DAW's. So if you say that Live is more for triggering loops, then so is Pro Tools, Logic, Sonar, Cubase, and any other linear based DAW that I forgot to mention.

"Both can do a little of each but their strengths are different." I disagree completely. Maschine can do a little of what Live can do. Live can do everything that Maschine can do and a whole lot more.

Take a look at the movie.

http://downloads.ableton.com/movies/drum_racks.mov

Last edited:
No need to choose one over the other. Since NI MASCHINE offers total integration with Ableton Live! You can use the Maschine's hardware controller to command Ableton Live. + Switch back & forth to control MASCHINE as a VST (with the press of a button!)

I am a loyal Ableton Live user & absolutely love how efficient of a program it is! But you still need a MIDI controller to achieve a more efficient workflow. I had the AKAI MPD32 to control DrumRack. I liked it but at over $300 with no sounds, I decided to take it back & trade up for the NI MASCHINE. I tell you what, NI absolutely nailed it with this one! ! ! I been waiting for something like this for a long time... It's all about creative workflow. Don't get caught up in choosing sides, why? when you can have the best of both! ! !

Besides, they are both German engineered! ! ! To the highest quality standards. I love all things made in Germany, Ableton Live, Native Instruments software/hardware, Warsteiner is brewed in Germany. lol

No seriously though, do your research. Save your money. Go down to the local Music shop & get your hands on the gear first. If it feels right to you then get it! Just make sure you have a powerful enough PC or MAC to handle it. + an audio interface of course...

Maschine is still around $599. I have a MPD 32. I think I'll just wait until the APC40 comes out. That's all the workflow I need. Maschine is nice, and if I didn't already have Live, I may consider it, but BPM has a bigger library, and in the end, it's all about sounds.

apc40.jpg

Salas831Rapper said:
1 thing I like about BPM it can sound close 2 an SP1200 so u get that grimmy hip-hop sound

Sure,but anyone with a good ear, and freeware can get close to the sp1200 too.

Mattman04 said:
Sure,but anyone with a good ear, and freeware can get close to the sp1200 too.

Don't forget, a little know how!

You have to understand why the sp1200 sounds like it does before you can duplicate it.

kb420 said:
Maschine is still around $599. I have a MPD 32. I think I'll just wait until the APC40 comes out. That's all the workflow I need. Maschine is nice, and if I didn't already have Live, I may consider it, but BPM has a bigger library, and in the end, it's all about sounds.

Ah yes! The APC40 (co-designed by Ableton and AKAI) I can't wait for that one to come out! I am far too impatient. I want it now. That's ok. The MASCHINE will keep me more than entertained until then...

Also, in response to the BPM's larger sound library. true. but Native Instruments I believe have some of the finest sounds in the business. Quality over quantity I say! But I guess it really depends on what style of music you make. + there are so many ways to source sounds -sample records, record live instruments, buy sample CD's & sample packs, rent CD's from the library & sample them! (download huge GB libraries worth of sounds from bittorrent sites, oops... did I say that. lol get all that into Live & chop, manipulate, loop, & sequence it up! If you got a MPD32, APC40, or a NI MASCHINE!!!!! maaan, it's over!!!!! In fact, i"m gonna go make a beat right now...

Last edited:
futureshock said:
Ah yes! The APC40 (co-designed by Ableton and AKAI) I can't wait for that one to come out! I am far too impatient. I want it now. That's ok. The MASCHINE will keep me more than entertained until then...

Also, in response to the BPM's larger sound library. true. but Native Instruments I believe have some of the finest sounds in the business. Quality over quantity I say! But I guess it really depends on what style of music you make. + there are so many ways to source sounds -sample records, record live instruments, buy sample CD's & sample packs, rent CD's from the library & sample them! (download huge GB libraries worth of sounds from bittorrent sites, oops... did I say that. lol get all that into Live & chop, manipulate, loop, & sequence it up! If you got a MPD32, APC40, or a NI MASCHINE!!!!! maaan, it's over!!!!! In fact, i"m gonna go make a beat right now...

I own Battery 2 and 3, and both libraries are bigger than the library that comes with Maschine. If I were a new user, I would be pissed that Maschine doesn't come with Battery 3's library too. Both products are made by NI.

kb420 said:
I own Battery 2 and 3, and both libraries are bigger than the library that comes with Maschine. If I were a new user, I would be pissed that Maschine doesn't come with Battery 3's library too. Both products are made by NI.
Does NI use a proprietary format with battery or NI?

I like the Akai Live unit but Hawtin really should have protected his design.

Last edited by a moderator:
kb420 said:

Battery is their flagship drum program so naturally it will have more drums. I think the idea with the MASCHINE Sound Library is to give the new user a little of everything ( "300 Drum Kits, 280 multi-sampled instruments,tons of basses leads & synthesizer sounds, + acoustic instruments, 400 sliced loops, 6,500 one-shot samples, 50 complete projects showcase collections of samples and sequences programmed by renowned producers and artists to demonstrate the power and flexibility of MASCHINE and can be used as a springboard for your own ideas." + 100 FX Presets/ 55 FX Chains)

Plenty enough to get the new user started. Then after they get a taste of that, NI has the KOMPLETE 5 Bundle for expansion of the library! ! ! repeat business = more profits = reinvestment into research & development = better products = happier customers! ! !

Last edited:
moyphee said:
Does NI use a proprietary format with battery or NI?

I like the Akai Live unit but Hawtin really should have protected his design.

No. The samples are .wav.

Maschine at $599 should have included Battery 3's library.

Back