new sampler

O

orthocall

I'm in the market for a new sampler and I'd like your input. I'm thinking either a Akai S5000 or a Yamaha A4000/A5000. Emu's are too expensive! Tell me your experiences with these samplers. OR, I'm also considering a TRITON and using it as a sampler. Has anyone used triton's sampling capabilities? Is it up to par with dedicated samplers? I appreciate y'all help!

buy it used, you'll get it cheaper. If you really would rather get an emu, you can get a good one used on ebay for like the same as an S5000 new. Probably get an E4xt ( I think that's their best one) for like $1000 or less. New S5000's cost like 1200+, I think..

But from the choices you listed, I would suggest the Akai S5000. But, then again, I don't know too much about the Yamaha ones.

I've had my A4K for almost a year now and i'm still chuffed to bits with what it can do.

Real time 'timestretch' surely that's enough to sell the thing on it's own, but;

96 (fully tweakable) effect types through 3 effect blocks(6 on the A5000). Endless really when re-sampling comes into play.

Excellent Filters (loads of, can't remember how many)

Built in oscillators (6 i think, not sure), so really the things a synth in it's own right also, and a bloody good one at that.

Check the Yamaha site for more details as i could go on all day.

My only gripe is slow loading/transfer times, but hey all that waiting gives you chance to wrap up a big fat one , sit back and prepare your creativity to be unleashed.

Rich

Triton sampling function

Let's stick to the point guys! All that droolin' messes up
your desk you know...
The Triton samplingfunction is OK, but to basic if you want to actually work with your samplematerial.
I upgraded my Triton to version2, and that added some
nice features, but it doesn't match my new Akai S5000 at all. That said, you really cannot compare the two can ya? I bought my triton when I was strapped for cash. I had an all in 1 - instrument. Things have changed, and know that I splashed out the money for the Akai, I know I'm not going to use the sample option from the Korg any longer.
So, if you can afford a standalone sampler go for that option.

very true. most korg is crap you only wanna use for a short period of time.
That's why i've been waiting and waiting for something better to show up.
I have my beloved supernova and now I've spent my money on the rs7000 and I won't need anymore now practically. I can't see what anyway.
The triton is ok to some degree but nothing beats dedicated hardware

Back