Need help with MPC 2000xl and production

Kockroach

Hey there, I am pretty new to FP - But have been visiting frequently for some time now. I have a deep knowledge of music and production in general, but need help with my MPC.

I'm looking to sample wax with my Tech 12's, and chop it up with my MPC - Add drums, then import the file to my computer where I'll then use it on ProTools and record live bass/guitar.

I'm pretty sure my MPC only has a floppy drive - How can I transfer the files to my computer?

I've been told to use an External ZIP Drive; How is that hooked up/used with the mpc?

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section. Thank you, Roach.

U don't import anything u record it to the computer from the outputs in back to your soundcard. This also belongs in the hardware sequencer area. Get a compact flash reader for your mpc and pay someone to install it

As Xabiton said, you'll have to record your tracks from the mpc into your daw.

You could get the mcd expansion kit from MPC Stuff MPC 2000 XL MCD Card Reader Kit, but you can get it a lot cheaper if you manage to find the proper parts yourself (google for it, there is a tutorial on what you need for it). Installing this won't enable you to transfer the beats from your mpc to your computer on disk, you will still have to record them, but you'll be able to transfer sounds from the computer to your mpc without recording them.

U could get a usb floppy drive also to transfer sounds as mpcs 2000s and newer read wav files at 16 bit 44.1

If i was you id ask this question over at mpc-forums.

yes you can import sounds into your mpc 2000xl i do with a program called "mpc editor" (which is acutally created by a mpc-forums member)

i save the program files onto a floppy via a usb floppy drive then i import them into the 2kxl.

you can also record/ sample sounds into the mp...

for those who dont know.....cop "mpc editor" its only like 30 bucks.

fyi propellerheads recycle is capable of saving/ creating mpc program files.

you can import sounds into your mpc....I do it all the time.

Why bother with mpc editor? You can format the disk on your pc or from your mpc and move files back and forth freely without it. Then again having the programs is nice to have done before hand

I use Mpc Editor every now and the too, if I use singleshot drums & percussion from library on the computer. It's a lot easier to load a program instead of loading all files individually. The dude who made it isn't asking for a lot for it after all, so it's definitely worth it.

Last edited:
what needs to be done to easily transfer files between the 2kxl and a pc?!?! my pc cant read the 2kxl formatted cf card and my 2kxl cant read my pc formatted cf card....!??! when i had a mac(hackintosh) i had NOOOO problems transferring files!! google search isnt resulting in much help really....

Yes to get the drum patterns(or full songs) you sequenced on your Mpc2000xl into protools,you have to track/record each sound you used with your 8 out expander into protools.

Well for anyone who comes across this with similar problems...
If you use an external drive with your 2000 or 2000xl, buy a SCSI PCI card for your computer. Got mine cheap. Like 5 bucks cheap. But, the only problem I had was getting the samples to actually copy over to my PC. When the MPC 2000 saves the chops, it didn't number them or anything like that. I think it goes by the size of the sample and the name. But anyway, when I try to move everything from the 2000 to my computer so I can dump it in my MV8000, since all of the files have the same name, I get the prompt from windows asking if i want to copy and replace or copy and rename.

Back