MV8000 vs. MV8800 What is the difference???

QUIXSAND

Yeah I'm on the bandwagon like everyone else getting excited about the new NAMM gear. But I have a MV8000. Looking at the new one I see....

it comes with sounds that I already have or can get for the MV8000.

new color screen - nice touch (but so what).

eliminated the floppy drive - so what, who uses them anymore anyhow.

Built in VGA/mouse interface - again, so what ( for the extra cost I can buy one but already got one free when I bought the machine)

Am I missing something or is this the same machine???

No 1394 Firewire
No slot A USB
No ADSR Oscillators to create or tweak synth sounds

Don't get me wrong. I love this machine. It is a monster. Does anything I tell it to. But why put out a new machine with so little extra to offer from the previous model?

QUIXSAND said:
Yeah I'm on the bandwagon like everyone else getting excited about the new NAMM gear. But I have a MV8000. Looking at the new one I see....

it comes with sounds that I already have or can get for the MV8000.

new color screen - nice touch (but so what).

eliminated the floppy drive - so what, who uses them anymore anyhow.

Built in VGA/mouse interface - again, so what ( for the extra cost I can buy one but already got one free when I bought the machine)

Am I missing something or is this the same machine???

No 1394 Firewire
No slot A USB
No ADSR Oscillators to create or tweak synth sounds

Don't get me wrong. I love this machine. It is a monster. Does anything I tell it to. But why put out a new machine with so little extra to offer from the previous model?
because as a company they know the word new makes people go crazy
till the point where they forget stuff korg has been doing things like that for years with the tritiny/triton/tr/x....50 and other numbers series
they keep puting out verison with less things

I think its a waste of money but thats just my opinion. The MV is starting to get recognition nowadays. I have been seeing alot of MV threads floating around here.

Because it was discontinued in Europe. The features were enough to give it another number in the 8000's, but not enough for the 9000. It's basically like the MPC2000 to the MPC200XL.

Gotta admit, I was pissed when I saw the 8800.

Same tiny screen, keep in mind, youre sitting damned near 2 feet away from a 6 inch screen!

No motorized faders! But the 808 got them? WTF!?!

40 Gig HD, Are you f---ing serious!?!?

Here's an idea. Keep my MV8 and spray paint the sides and bezel black!

I think it's a CROCK personally....

I wan on the edge between the MV8000 and Fantom X6. I bought the Fantom...I'm happy with it. When I saw the 8800 I got to thinking that I might get that but after looking a little closer I see that it's basically the SAME machine. Even though "No-One" uses the floppy drive anymore It's STILL cool to have. Why in the HELL would you Take AWAY something that cost little or nothing in the first place. I am sure there are STILL lots of old samples floating around on floppy disks. The new screen is COLOR....oooooooooh but wait a minute. If i hook up an 8000 to a monitor isnt THAT in color too???? WTF! O.K. so they say you get a faster bigger Hard Drive but all things considered I dont really see much of a difference "Feature wise" between an 8000 with version 3.5 and the "NEW" 8800. But That's better for ME because I will just WAIT till the 8800 comes out and get the 8000 for about $1000. I can put a "Larger & Faster" hard drive MYSELF and Paint the sides Black....

I think I will call it the "MV 8000XL"......LOL

:cool:

BigBrotherMotown said:
I can put a "Larger & Faster" hard drive MYSELF

Tried that homie. Drive is built on a proprietary Roland bus/controller board. no swapping of drives unless its another Roland.

guess they trying to keep a strong arm on who can "upgrade" Roland's ish!

Last edited:
I see.....hmmmmm

R.Jaye said:
Tried that homie. Drive is built on a proprietary Roland bus/controller board. no swapping of drives unless its another Roland.

perhaps I could purchase the 8800 hard drive on e-bay or somewhere and then swap THAT one with it....

What you think

BigBrotherMotown said:
perhaps I could purchase the 8800 hard drive on e-bay or somewhere and then swap THAT one with it....

What you think

considered it, may get it from Roland themselves.

However, I want to wait for someone's REAL review. Someone to say, "this is sooo much faster than the MV8. bootup and op time is quick as hell!"

until i hear that, no moves on it

I will not upgrade... I used the floopy drive two days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think many people are going to "ugrade". Those that never owned one may purchase, but the addition of a color screen and a few minor differences arent going to make many people run out and sell their's and probably only get $1000 or so, just to pay $2200 for this one:p

dont see myself upgrading. just dont feel compelled to do so.

especially when there are great producers out there who still use the SP-1200 and the MP60

R.Jaye said:
dont see myself upgrading. just dont feel compelled to do so.

especially when there are great producers out there who still use the SP-1200 and the MP60

On gangsta...

Hardware-wise, it looks the same aside from the color screen (which is probably where the hardware differences end, internally as well).

The software may have implemented a few new features... but when it comes down to it, we all do one thing and tabletop samplers have been doing this for years: triggering samples.

I'll keep my MPC3000.

R.Jaye said:

I change my MV disk for non-Roland 120 GB and I known others MV users doing the same. I did'nt read anything about unsuccessfull disk swapping on MV-8000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for bringing up an old post... but fk it...

I replaced my old azz 40GB 3.5" hadrdrive on my MV-8000 (OS 3.54) for a 2.5" 120Gb hard drive about 9 months ago.
First I removed my MV's 40Gb HD and saved all my projects externally to my laptop via IDE to USB cable.
I then used a 40 pin IDE 3.5" to 2.5" adapter with the new 120GB/7200 RPM laptop HD and formatted it in the MV.
Took the 2.5" HD back out of the MV and hooked it up externally to my laptop (via IDE to USB) and saved my projects back onto it.
Reinstalled the 2.5" HD with all my projects into the MV (I kinda nucka-rigged it in there since the 2.5" HD is smaller than the 3.5" mount plate), plugged everything back up, turned on the MV, everything worked great.​

The only issue I've had so far is that I had to replace the old stock IDE cable with a longer copper braided 133 ATA/IDE cable. It's a noticieable difference now with the load & save times of samples and projects since swapping out the cable to work with the faster HD. I opted for a longer IDE cable to add a CF adapter later on in the spot of the floppy drive.
Initial start of the the MV's OS load time wasn't affected since it is on a Flash ROM and not the HD. So no change in speed there.
icon_sad.gif

The laptop HD should stay cooler since more air will be blown across it since it is smaller and has less area to cover. Plus Laptop HD's are designed for less heat. It's definitely alot quieter when the HD is accessed.
Hope this helps other MV users.​

Last edited:
mv8g vs mv88hun.

mv8000 can be trick'd out up to 1.7ghz of ram and up to 160gigs hd space
mv8800 can only be stepped up to 512mb ram and up to 127 gigs of hd space. I have had 6 mv8000's in 5yrs.:cool:

Back