Mpd 24

L

Lil Loco

hey, i hope ive posted this in the right place...

im looking at the Akai MPD24, yes is simular to the MPC.

but im wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions about it:

1. does anyone have/or have used one - if so what do they think of it?
2. I use my keyboard alot, could i use the MPD for playing my Virtual Instruments?
3. Any general feed back on it..

Thanks for your time.

I use Sonar 5 at the moment (but im thinking of getting 6 or 7)

i have one and i like it too but i have not been able to use it fully with the knobs and stuff the manual doesnt realy help and i cant get any help here so i just use the pads

I've owned it for like a year. I mainly use it for the pads. However, I use it for VSTi and to trigger my Triton (main reason I bought it). I think it is a solid machine and can really advance your drum programming if using keys is a hinderance for you. I really don't use the knobs and sliders much, though I periodically test them. They are responsive and helpful. I a worthy buy if you desire pads to play on...

Er...ok...listen closely...AKAI MPD24 has been PLAGUED with production problems, and it's my belief that Akai is over-looking a SERIOUS design flaw in the machine that will make it a worthless POS soon after your warranties expire.

You have 2 options for powering the MPD24....1.) via USB cable to your comp which also serves as the midi connection, and eliminates the need for a midi interface for those that don't have one. and..2.) You can buy an external power supply, and this allows you to use the MPD24 with a Midi cable to a real midi interface.

The problem is...there is some "electrical leak" for lack of a better word, that eventually kills the circuit board and K-knobs, and makes them act crazy (i.e. random changing numbers & messages when nothing is being touched)

Once this happens, the machine WILL send out bad midi data in every recording you make.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this harsh? Yes. No doubt. But how else can one explain the hundreds of reports of the same exact problem?

The people that are having success, I suspect that they are using the USB powered option ONLY, and that the small amount of voltage from the USB is not freaking their machines out. On the other hand, I have seen plenty of reports from users using the USB method and they also have problems, so I don't know.

I have YET to hear from ANYONE that is using the MPD24 power adapter/midi interface method, that has a workig machine.

I bought my MPD24 in November of last year, and it has been in my hands for less than 2 weeks in that whole time. I just got my 6th unit back from Akai repair, and while I'm still waiting to see if the crazy screen comes back (it's only been since Thursday), for sure they f*cked up one of the buttons. Other than that, my unit is sparkling (...because it hasn't been touched in 10 months.)

So in case I haven't been clear...Akai MPD24 (as promising and wonderful as it should be) is really a dog. And Akai Repair IS THE WORST!!!!!!!!!!!! I've already paid over $75 in shipping charges to get my machine back to them 3 times.

LOL..alright you get the picture of what I think of the MPD24.
Seacrest out.

^^^ you sound like an XBOX360 owner lol. 6 units man? just switch to the padkontrol if it pains you so much. my cousin and I both own one and they work like they should. the Mpd24 is great i'm glad i picked it. try the Korg man you may like that better......Easy..

thanks for all the comments on it.

No im stuck in the middle. lol.

With the mpd24 though is it possible to trigger sounds, like i do on the keyboard or is it just only for drums....

Charlee_Hess said:
^^^ you sound like an XBOX360 owner lol. 6 units man? just switch to the padkontrol if it pains you so much. my cousin and I both own one and they work like they should. the Mpd24 is great i'm glad i picked it. try the Korg man you may like that better......Easy..

I hear you man, really. But I'm not sure I can return my unit to GC because now I have a totally different serial number. If this last one fails then I will go to the GC manager and ask if he can do anything. I will probably get the padKontrol if/when that happens.:(

But man...I really just want this damn machine to work like yours does! Stories like yours keep me hoping for better luck.

Lil Loco said:
With the mpd24 though is it possible to trigger sounds, like i do on the keyboard or is it just only for drums....

used mainly for drums, but you can trigger any sound with it, just like a keyboard controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, for all the advices

really does help.

Thanks again.

By the way on the whole who would pick the MPD 24 over the padKontrol?

and why, becuase i have just looked at it, and they are both very simular and for the same price.

sorry if im getting on all of your nerves. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I was torn b/t the Korg PadKontrol and the MPD24...IN response to the guy who says he knows of no one who uses it with the power adapter/MIDI. Well, I do with no problems. I actually use it both ways, but mostly with the adapter and MIDI. It is very stable. Now, I did get one of the first, in fact the guy at GC said I was the first to buy in my town! I've owned it for almost a year with no problems. I know there are production problems (I think the first few shipments were problematic) I chose the MPD over the Korg b/c of the ability to save assignments, the knobs, , larger pads, and sliders. I think you won't go wrong with either. One thing the Korg has that the MPD doesn't is NOte repeat. That was almost what swayed me....

Lil Loco said:
hey, i hope ive posted this in the right place...

im looking at the Akai MPD24, yes is simular to the MPC.

but im wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions about it:

1. does anyone have/or have used one - if so what do they think of it?
2. I use my keyboard alot, could i use the MPD for playing my Virtual Instruments?
3. Any general feed back on it..

Thanks for your time.

Don’t buy one if you are under the assumption its as you say similar to an MPC it is in no way similar at all. It’s simply a midi controller and thats it. Very different from an MPC.

Last edited:
Pure Hype Production said:
Don’t buy one if you are under the assumption its as you say similar to an MPC it is in no way similar at all. It’s simply a midi controller and thats it. Very different from an MPC.

Not if you use it with the FPC. it's almost similar but your doing it on a PC and faster.

jigdagod said:
Not if you use it with the FPC. it's almost similar but your doing it on a PC and faster.

Its still not similar to an mpc your just using a midi drum pad controller. Is it a good choice for a drum pad controller yes. Is it similar to an mpc only the pads are similar it doesnt give you any functions at all.

Is it faster thats a matter of personal oppinion most users of the MPC would say the MPC will give them better results much quicker. I dont wont to mislead this guy into purchasing an mpd expecting it to give him the same features as an mpc.

Lil Loco said:
thanks for all the comments on it.

No im stuck in the middle. lol.

Its a midi controller it can trigger any midi event..

Last edited:
noob question:

its possible to convert the midi pattern recorded with the MPD into an audio track with Cubase SX3..right?

I had an MPC 2000XL and everything I did with it I can do it in FL Studio. I got the MPD24 because I like to bang out my drums and trigger my samples.....Yea it is just a midi controller but paired with the right tools and you can do damage.

jigdagod said:
I had an MPC 2000XL and everything I did with it I can do it in FL Studio. I got the MPD24 because I like to bang out my drums and trigger my samples.....Yea it is just a midi controller but paired with the right tools and you can do damage.

Agree with you there but that goes for any drum pad midi controller not just the mpd.

zionproductions said:
I was torn b/t the Korg PadKontrol and the MPD24...IN response to the guy who says he knows of no one who uses it with the power adapter/MIDI. Well, I do with no problems. I actually use it both ways, but mostly with the adapter and MIDI. It is very stable. Now, I did get one of the first, in fact the guy at GC said I was the first to buy in my town! I've owned it for almost a year with no problems. I know there are production problems (I think the first few shipments were problematic) I chose the MPD over the Korg b/c of the ability to save assignments, the knobs, , larger pads, and sliders. I think you won't go wrong with either. One thing the Korg has that the MPD doesn't is NOte repeat. That was almost what swayed me....

I was the guy...just wanted to say I'm really happy to hear your story! I made a post a few months ago asking if anyone had used MIDI/power adapter with success, and I got no positive responses. But if you've had such good success, that means that maybe there isn't some huge problem throughout the production. I'm getting a new one next week, so I'm hoping I finally get a good one.

jizzer said:
I was the guy...just wanted to say I'm really happy to hear your story! I made a post a few months ago asking if anyone had used MIDI/power adapter with success, and I got no positive responses. But if you've had such good success, that means that maybe there isn't some huge problem throughout the production. I'm getting a new one next week, so I'm hoping I finally get a good one.

Hopefully this one works correctly for you...You're not the only (in fact one of many with basically the same complaints) Again, I believe their is a lot of merit to what you all have said, but I deeply believe like with cars when they first come out, typically their are a lot of lemons...after a year, generally all kinks are worked out...I was lucky to have one that worked off the bat (I was one of few people with one for months too b/c so many places were on back order), but by now I imagine you'd have better luck....seems to be true for others I've spoken with...

In fact, when I got mine only one other guy had a review up...No mainstream sites had one...so i did one that got a good bit of hits...Professional reviews didn't hit the web until almost six months later. I think Akai shipped some units too early.

Last edited:
Back