Mpd 24

jizzer said:
Er...ok...listen closely...AKAI MPD24 has been PLAGUED with production problems, and it's my belief that Akai is over-looking a SERIOUS design flaw in the machine that will make it a worthless POS soon after your warranties expire.

You have 2 options for powering the MPD24....1.) via USB cable to your comp which also serves as the midi connection, and eliminates the need for a midi interface for those that don't have one. and..2.) You can buy an external power supply, and this allows you to use the MPD24 with a Midi cable to a real midi interface.

The problem is...there is some "electrical leak" for lack of a better word, that eventually kills the circuit board and K-knobs, and makes them act crazy (i.e. random changing numbers & messages when nothing is being touched)

Once this happens, the machine WILL send out bad midi data in every recording you make.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this harsh? Yes. No doubt. But how else can one explain the hundreds of reports of the same exact problem?

The people that are having success, I suspect that they are using the USB powered option ONLY, and that the small amount of voltage from the USB is not freaking their machines out. On the other hand, I have seen plenty of reports from users using the USB method and they also have problems, so I don't know.

I have YET to hear from ANYONE that is using the MPD24 power adapter/midi interface method, that has a workig machine.

I bought my MPD24 in November of last year, and it has been in my hands for less than 2 weeks in that whole time. I just got my 6th unit back from Akai repair, and while I'm still waiting to see if the crazy screen comes back (it's only been since Thursday), for sure they f*cked up one of the buttons. Other than that, my unit is sparkling (...because it hasn't been touched in 10 months.)

So in case I haven't been clear...Akai MPD24 (as promising and wonderful as it should be) is really a dog. And Akai Repair IS THE WORST!!!!!!!!!!!! I've already paid over $75 in shipping charges to get my machine back to them 3 times.

LOL..alright you get the picture of what I think of the MPD24.
Seacrest out.

Actually, as with anything, the firzt production of the MPD sucked ass, but i got the latest version, and it works greats on both usb and midi. I personally in Battery/Reason throgh FL7, and I have no problem with it now; it even came with a new install cd that has templates for all the major DAWS, so Akai stteped their game up, and for the record, Akia is no longer- the product line is owned by Numark.

i have it and use it with reason 4 and i love it... ive used other controllers like padkontrols and trigger finger and it beats them all

quick side newb rant why do midi controllers exist when the instruments (keyboards, drum pads) can do the same thing a controller can do? seems like cheap lackadaisical alternatives to spending mad more money on instruments that come with SOUNDS you can play... yeah i'm still that fresh but compared to software hardware is scary sheesh

i can't wait till i can get into a drum machine though but if i end up buyin a piece of equipment, goin home, and it not makin any sound that would be funny.

ok disregard that i forgot about the detail in control you could have over tweaks n knobs. i've been tryin to decipher the difference all night. wrong thread but i want a compact keyboard and i've been gettin beset by compact keyboards with no standalone sound.

i don't know about drum machines much but you guys sure helpin me with that too thanks - when i'm can afford to buy one it'll probably be a decade old model anyway -

Last edited:
Just as good as anything else.

The MPD is every bit as function as any other MIDI virtual triggering pad. I own the 16 and from what i understand they're practically the same except for the extra 8 pads. You can set it up to shift location on the keyboard on-the-fly with the included software. I like to use ReCycle to chop up songs and then import them into Reason as .rex files. Just as good as an MPC.

Back