mpc1000 or elektron octatrack

combat medic

I need some opinions. Should I buy the mpc1000 or the elektron octatrack? Both seem great but I don't have any experience with either.

I need some opinions. Should I buy the mpc1000 or the elektron octatrack? Both seem great but I don't have any experience with either.

Well, first ask yourself what are the requirements that one or the other must offer. If you don't have any requirements for either, then look at what they can do and weight the pros & cons and make a judgement from there. Both seem to be decent for what they're capable of doing, but one of them obviously has the edge over the other.

Well, first ask yourself what are the requirements that one or the other must offer. If you don't have any requirements for either, then look at what they can do and weight the pros & cons and make a judgement from there. Both seem to be decent for what they're capable of doing, but one of them obviously has the edge over the other.

I want to try using a hardware sampler just to try something other than software samplers. Both products are great yet different and are nearly the same price. The octatrack seems to offer more options concerning the manipulation of sounds and comes with more onboard RAM. On the other hand, the little experience I've had with with MPCs leaves me partial to the pads. They're just enjoyable. I started this thread with the hope of getting informed opinions before I spend the money.

Obviously I'm going to side with the mpc 1k. For one it has the capability to run other pieces of gear because it's just that...a midi production center.

Second, you can do away with the generic o.s. and load that joint up with the better jj o.s. which will turn that thing into a totally different beast.

But I'm feeling bias by saying this because I really can't comment on what the elektron is capable of doing.

combat medic said:
On the other hand, the little experience I've had with with MPCs leaves me partial to the pads. They're just enjoyable.

You can always add a pad controller to control the Octatrack, if so inclined.

For one it has the capability to run other pieces of gear because it's just that...a midi production center.

So does pretty much any other sequencer on the market, including the Octatrack.

Not biased in either way because I don't have that much experience on them, just pointing out that that argument isn't really the one to sway the scales :)

You can always add a pad controller to control the Octatrack, if so inclined.

I was thinking the same thing. Buying a relatively inexpensive pad controller would be like getting the best of both worlds. The octatrack apparently has an optical fader that you can assign effects to....sounds dope. However, the mpc has more outputs which could be very useful.

For one it has the capability to run other pieces of gear because it's just that...a midi production center.

So does pretty much any other sequencer on the market, including the Octatrack.

Not biased in either way because I don't have that much experience on them, just pointing out that that argument isn't really the one to sway the scales :)

From a general standpoint I agree. But from a technical angle, the mpc would blow the octa out the ring when it comes to being able to control multiple pieces of external midi instruments. Four midi outs with each having it's own individual control vs. one, I think that's enough to warrant a good checking out.

Last edited:
From a general standpoint I agree. But from a technical angle, the mpc would blow the octa out the ring when it comes to being able to control multiple pieces of external midi instruments. Four midi outs with each having it's own individual control vs. one, I think that's enough to warrant a good checking out.

Two MIDI outs, actually :)

Back