MPC Sync to Pro Tools question

oxmocali

ok here is what i want to learn

i wanna be able to synchronyze the MPC (2000xl) with pro tools (Mbox 2) so that when i hit record on pro tools the MPC starts playing back what i recorded on it

OR when i hit play on the MPC pro tools starts recording (is that even possible?)

that way i can lay the track of the mpc one by one

thanks in advance

oxmocali said:
ok here is what i want to learn

i wanna be able to synchronyze the MPC (2000xl) with pro tools (Mbox 2) so that when i hit record on pro tools the MPC starts playing back what i recorded on it

Yes you can sync the mpc to protools to track the beat out of the mpc.

mpc out mbox mbox out mpc in. now midi enable in pro tools. enable the mpc to recieve the mbox in. on the midi sync mode. you have to do tha majority of your syncing on pro tools i have the same set up its pretty easy. just enable the MTc in pro tools. also set up the tempo in pro tools with the same bpm as the mpc

ROMIL said:
mpc out mbox mbox out mpc in. now midi enable in pro tools. enable the mpc to recieve the mbox in. on the midi sync mode. you have to do tha majority of your syncing on pro tools i have the same set up its pretty easy. just enable the MTc in pro tools. also set up the tempo in pro tools with the same bpm as the mpc

this could be done with the M-Audio Firewire 410 aswell right? right now i'm running it with CUbase. but i can't seem to fiqure it out. i just watched that vid so that helped a little.

ROMIL said:
what i forgot to mention is i already have my mpc midied up to my fantom in a handshake. would i need to buy two more midi cables and use the out B and in 2 on the mpc ?? also, how do u midi enable in pro tools?? thanks for ur response

Last edited:
oxmocali said:
what i forgot to mention is i already have my mpc midied up to my fantom in a handshake. would i need to buy two more midi cables and use the out B and in 2 on the mpc ?? also, how do u midi enable in pro tools?? thanks for ur response

yo i was thinking on getting a fantomor a Triton, i have a Korg Trintiy now. but my question is which one would u recommend? i heard the Fantom has killer synths and orcestra sounds. but i kinda dont want to get a triton because niggas have used those sounds to death and i heard most of them are cheesy.

Yo right now im at work but later imma go in pro tools and find out where u need to go. we have similar hookups. just different machines. I have the mpc 2 out going into my mp-7 synth. u really dont need another cable. just have the other mpc going into your fantom or whatever u got. so that way it controls it. when u hook it up to a mixer or however u got ur audio hooked up u will hear the playback of that module. but the midi info will go into the mpc and when u record that info youll capture the audio without having to have another midi cable running back in the mpc.
that fantom is awesome too.

ok im home! go to set up, then midi input devices and make sure your equipment is checked off in the set up which is your mpc. then go to beat clock. make sure beat clock is checked. if your equipment isnt there then u got to make sure pro tools notices your equipment. meaning make sure u got it hooked up right. next make sure your mpc has the midi enabled sync on. now I have a 1000 so im thinking it might be the same as the one u got. you should be able to play back both from either pro tools or the mpc if that midi enable is checked off.

Last edited:
in Pro Tools, go to setup - midi - midi studio. this is where you tell pro tools where your midi devices are connected. next, go to setup - midi - midi beat clock. you want to 'enable midi beat clock' and select the devices that are going to be receiving midi beat clock. all devices that you setup under midi studio should be showing. next, set pro tools' tempo for the session if you haven't already. This setup is based on Pro Tools being the MASTER device and the other device(s) SLAVE(S). Make sure that on your hardware/midi interface that the midi output is going to the midi input on the slave devices. On the mpc, press mode, then pad 9 and go to the sync tab. Choose "slave" under "sync in" and the port, 1 or 2, that your mpc will receive midi input. That's it!! When you start Pro Tools' sequencer, the mpc should start too at the same bar/beat location. I've tried slaving Pro Tools to the MPC1000 and Fantom Xa on diff. occasions but I could never get them in sync with Pro Tools. Tried diff. framerates and settings, but still, no luck. So I prefer using Pro Tools as the MASTER sending midi beat clock. Another thing, make sure that whatever you're tracking into Pro Tools doesn't change tempo during the song. If so, you'll have to edit tempo events in the tempo ruler. Hope this helps!!

the problem i've had in the past is not getting my equiptment to show up in the drop down screen in protools...where exactly is this option...btw im using 6.4

hmm, not too familiar with pro tools 6.x versions, just started using it @ v7.x. but exactly what option are you referring to?

someone needs to make a detailed video about this...ppl ask this question every week and every one throws around different advice...

Sol-Kaliba said:
in Pro Tools, go to setup - midi - midi studio. this is where you tell pro tools where your midi devices are connected. next, go to setup - midi - midi beat clock. you want to 'enable midi beat clock' and select the devices that are going to be receiving midi beat clock. all devices that you setup under midi studio should be showing. next, set pro tools' tempo for the session if you haven't already. This setup is based on Pro Tools being the MASTER device and the other device(s) SLAVE(S). Make sure that on your hardware/midi interface that the midi output is going to the midi input on the slave devices. On the mpc, press mode, then pad 9 and go to the sync tab. Choose "slave" under "sync in" and the port, 1 or 2, that your mpc will receive midi input. That's it!! When you start Pro Tools' sequencer, the mpc should start too at the same bar/beat location. I've tried slaving Pro Tools to the MPC1000 and Fantom Xa on diff. occasions but I could never get them in sync with Pro Tools. Tried diff. framerates and settings, but still, no luck. So I prefer using Pro Tools as the MASTER sending midi beat clock. Another thing, make sure that whatever you're tracking into Pro Tools doesn't change tempo during the song. If so, you'll have to edit tempo events in the tempo ruler. Hope this helps!!

sorry to bump this, i was away from my equipment for a month. this helped a great deal and it is working EXCEPT when i track down what i recored on the MPC in pro tools it goes faster than the bpm i set it at in both the mpc and pro tools... why is this happening??

tried to call digidesign right now but theyre too busy to take calls. anyone?

Last edited:
oxmocali said:
sorry to bump this, i was away from my equipment for a month. this helped a great deal and it is working EXCEPT when i track down what i recored on the MPC in pro tools it goes faster than the bpm i set it at in both the mpc and pro tools... why is this happening??

tried to call digidesign right now but theyre too busy to take calls. anyone?
Is your bpm the same as protools?

Last edited:
Did you leave a bar or 2 of Pre Roll for it to Lock Up? and make sure the MPC is set to Midi Time Clock & the Frame Rate is @ 30 FPS and MMC Send: ON and MMC Recieve: ON

C-Lovely said:
Is your bpm the same as protools?

yes it is

Whit Blazemore said:
Did you leave a bar or 2 of Pre Roll for it to Lock Up? and make sure the MPC is set to Midi Time Clock & the Frame Rate is @ 30 FPS and MMC Send: ON and MMC Recieve: ON

can you be more specific please? how do you leave a bar or 2 of pre roll (in pro tools i assume, right??)? also, i dont see where the frame rate is on the mpc? thanks in advance

Last edited:
Whit Blazemore said:

anyone knows the purpose of "locking up" and how to leave 1 or 2 bars of pre roll?

The pre roll let's Pro Tools and the MPC lock up the Syncing of the 2 machine's the Pre Roll setting is in your Transport Bar click on the Windows Tab and go down to where it says Transport now click on that. On the left handside towards the top it says pre-roll change it to 1 bar or 2 bars.

Whit Blazemore said:
The pre roll let's Pro Tools and the MPC lock up the Syncing of the 2 machine's the Pre Roll setting is in your Transport Bar click on the Windows Tab and go down to where it says Transport now click on that. On the left handside towards the top it says pre-roll change it to 1 bar or 2 bars.

still no luck, the transport window reads pre roll 2.00.000 everything else is at 0. The tempo is still way faster than what i set it at in both pro tools and the mpc when i track it down

Back