MPC SEQ vs. MV-8000

T.One

Okay I don't want to start another "My gear is better than your gear" thread. Here is my dilemma. I just copped the MPC 2500 and brought it home and I like it a lot... but i have to trick this thing out to be able to justify spending that much....seems like the MV got features and onboard stuff up the ass. NOW for the real question which will most likely be the deciding factor, does the MV sequencer hold water to Akai's tried and true. That above all is what I'm looking for. but a standard 40gig and 128RAM is a good sell. BUT AGAIN SEQ SEQ SEQ!!!!???? I make hip hop **** and I don't wanna sacrifice that imediate groove. Anyone ****ed with both?

Go to GC. In general, Roland sequencers are pretty solid and easy to use, but i have only played the fantom's sequencer. From what everyone says, the MPC has a great sequencer. Ultimately, it comes down to preference. The MV will pretty much do everything that the MPC will. It all comes down to a preference of workflow.

yeah I know but..but......okay can't someone make this dicision for me? lol. I gues I'll just go play with the seq, the mpc has a nice groove but hmmm. dont know. I dont know. Any more advice would be helpful.

There is nothing special about the MPC's groove. It is very straight ahead, as it should be, on 50% swing, and anything between 50% and 66% swing is purely linear between eight notes and swung sixteenth triplets.

If the MPC did have some sort of special groove, that could only be the result of improper time keeping.

The only special groove it has is when you don't quantize and use your hands.

I am not biased but this is only my opinion. I have both and I can honestly say that since getting my MV, I havent used my 2000xl, matter of fact, I may sell after I just put a card reader in it. The mpc is quicker to get up and going but what the mv offers, I dont mind the the setup of each project. The mv saves everything inside the project so its cool. After trying different,I think the mpc is a lil hyped, if you can freak one you can freak the other. But soundwise the MV quality is ahead on all except for maybe the 4k. With the vga card the mv is just that much easier. I think mpcs are over priced. I got the the mv, 2yr warranty, vga card for $1650 brand new. I couldnt even get a mpc2500 for that and feature wise, dont make me start. Hope that helps

I never messed with the MV but from what i have seen it is tighter than the MPC. I'm an MOC head and for some reason, I assumed the MV would be a lot more money and didn't really look into it much when I copped my MPC. Once cats started showing me all that it could do I regreted my purchase.

I'm more software now a days so no biggie but if i were going hardware I'd go MV. Especially with the way it visually shows the work. That is big for me. The MPC, though I love it, the screen on it seems straight out the 80s.

MPC 2000 , 2500 , & 1000 TPQN Sequencer resoloution is 96 vs the MV-8000's 480 resoloution.

Bottom line is you can make the MV swing any which way you want with extreme tight timing or very loose and humanized. All 128 midi tracks in the MV can have their own quantize setting or groove template which comes with the MV ( tons of groove n swing templates ) all of which can be manipulated and switched in REAL TIME while your beat is playing and its ALL non-destructive , meaning you can always switch it right back to your original playing without stopping the sequencer or screwing up the original midi sequenced data.

okay now the only thing that bothers me a little bit is the nimber of midi hook ups.... only a couple the mpc has like six, is that an issue or should you just use midi thru?

T.One said:
okay now the only thing that bothers me a little bit is the nimber of midi hook ups.... only a couple the mpc has like six, is that an issue or should you just use midi thru?

How many devices are you hooking up? If only a few, and if there isn't a lot of note data going through, you should be fine with daisy chaining 2-3 devices on each port.

keys, computer, maybe a couple racks in the future, my main thing is getting it so my comuter and keys can sequence into the MV

T.One said:
keys, computer, maybe a couple racks in the future, my main thing is getting it so my comuter and keys can sequence into the MV

just get a midi interface then

Ima sound like Mike Acosta from Roland but the MV-8000 is the all around Workstation for your needs!

Last edited:
yeah that motu was the one i was lookin at too. lol. good eye my dude. Yeah I'm pretty sold on the MV. Thanks FP.

Back