mpc motif xenyx mixer.how to setup

sdsdogpdmab

i just got tha motif...i finally have no need for tha computer unless i want to load sample on tha smart media or flash card for tha mpc n motif.....this is how i wanted to set it all up but will it work?i wanna make tha drum beat on tha mpc and chop a sample from my turn table then i wanna jump on tha motif but bass and piano whatever add effects to tha piano of whatever.and have tha mpc record tha motif....then record vocals on tha motif then with my vocals ready finnall record em on tha beat i made on tha mpc...and because my mpc cant record its own out puts for longer then a minute because i only got 16 mb memory i was thinkin to record tha hole song back to tha motif so can mix tha beat better because tha motif records tha mutes in real time and tha mpc 1000 cant..and for me when i made my loop witch is my song i like to mute tracks bring em in and have a intro and outro..............i just dont under stand how the mpc and motif work togather because they both record sequence quontize evrything so my question is with is tha slave and master?

That is going to be a really hard way to do it. First, with the vocals, i don't know how much sample time a motif has but a full song with vocals, overdubs, etc, that could be up to 10 min of sample time easily. Not to mention that the motif will absolutely suck interms of editing vocals, etc.

Most people choose to sequence off an mpc, that would be what i would say. Especially since it seems like the mpc is going to be the main part of making beats. But if you just plan to record everything back into the motif, then i'd use a motif.

I don't really want to take the time to explain how to hook everything up, etc, until you know what you are doing. Once you decide, it will be easier to help you.

so all that to ask your 1 question at the end of which is master/slave?

It's whichever one you want it to and set it to be.

I just got a privite MSG from the poster... I should've check his post first... I hope he checks this reply out. (kinda long so don't read if your drunk or High LOL)

Recording the vocals in the MOTIF is a big NONO in my opinion... If he is using a classic, he could get a better sound recording to a boom box (if he isn't looking for a low fi mixtape sound)...

The thing he has to decide is which is his fortay... MOTIF or MPC... I like the MPC, fast and simple... Record a two bar... go to song... copy out the measures... then record over the "song" version to add spices (Crashes, sound effects) or more diversitys in the beat... If I need piano... I'll sequence it in and copy and paste it where ever... (My way of getting back the lovely pattern chain option the MOTIF gives you) Its just as fast. Plus... you can save all your sounds (MOTIF program infomation, and MPC samples) on one piece... The MPC. The MPC will remember the data for the MOTIF and will change back to the set-up after the loading is done... (because the MPC reloads the MSB/LSB... and remotely changes it back on the MOTIF after power on!!! )

But... If he like the drops (MOTIF pattern mode- you can easly come up with Ill ish on the fly) he should just link them together and have the just start and go sync with the two... both will retain all their functions but you will have to double save.

Now... back on topic...

The poster says he wants to record the MOTIF into the MPC... Does he mean sounds (audio) or MIDI (data)... if he is going the use the MPC to chop his chops (his recorded MOTIF playing,LOL) all he would have to focus on is the MPC... play something on the MOTIF... sample it in the MPC then chop it to pads.

If it's Data (which I hope) then he needs some MIDI cables and the instruction manuals... and better understanding of what is going on in what he is trying to do (No diss... just sayng)

If he is trying to cut a corner he should buy a cheap 8 channel mixer... blend in the inputs and then record them... add a microphone in the set up for your vocals... and record them to a boom box!!! LOL (Sorry I'm tripping off the vocals in the MOTIF... even if you could edit them and use the MOTIF effects processor... I would never do that, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.... feel me?)

I recommend buying the 128 for the MPC... lot of ideas can come and you may want a lot of samples at the ready when you in your creation phase... just delete the programs your don't use (or set the sample pad clear) and purge the MPC before you save (so It doesn't reload all the stuff you didn't use)

Chopping in the MOTIF classic was a pain for me... when I got a 1k I fell in love because It was so easy... I never sample with my MOTIF anymore... but with all this ES/EX super MO B.S out there... who knows their improvements. I love yahmaha... but as soon as I got some real dough I bought the Deuce FIVE, my Classic just sits in the corner now. (i'm a crate digger... what I need a piano for? LOL)

So the poster should ask himself which does he like when he is creative... The answer then is right there...

I've droped some suggestions but if you like what your doing and getting ill with it... cool but if you feel like your missing something or want to improve your sound you have to crack open the manuals... understand the technolgy, and what is happening with your gear, that way you won't end up buying stuff you don't need... or feel like you have to go get something else to make this, that and the third to work.

Good Luck...

OCTAIN 1200 said:
I never sample with my MOTIF anymore... but with all this ES/EX super MO B.S out there... who knows their improvements. I love yahmaha...

I got the new XS, and sampling on that is still not great.
But nevertheless, I love Yamaha too:cheers:

Oh yea... Yahmaha has great lush and smokey type pianos (Rhodes and EP). I automatically go into jazz mode when I hear it... Layed back... Herbie-Les MaCann Robo Stevie Wonder ish... LOL. Their sound sets are diffcult to edit... but onces you figger it out the vibe is almost endless... Outstanding board... but not geared to a sample Producer... you can get it done... but you wouldn't want to after jumping threw sixty screens of editing before you can start putting the vibe together... The Drums get old too quick... so a 1k was the best addition out there (in price)... the combo is deadly... I hear they drop the sampling stuff in the MO... (GOOD) yahmaha should stick to their Sound Set and keyboard stuff and leave the sampling to AKAI or Roland... All their doing is making the price of their products go up, trying to reinvent the Triton...

motif as slave

OCTAIN 1200 said:
I just got a privite MSG from the poster... I should've check his post first... I hope he checks this reply out. (kinda long so don't read if your drunk or High LOL)

Recording the vocals in the MOTIF is a big NONO in my opinion... If he is using a classic, he could get a better sound recording to a boom box (if he isn't looking for a low fi mixtape sound)...

The thing he has to decide is which is his fortay... MOTIF or MPC... I like the MPC, fast and simple... Record a two bar... go to song... copy out the measures... then record over the "song" version to add spices (Crashes, sound effects) or more diversitys in the beat... If I need piano... I'll sequence it in and copy and paste it where ever... (My way of getting back the lovely pattern chain option the MOTIF gives you) Its just as fast. Plus... you can save all your sounds (MOTIF program infomation, and MPC samples) on one piece... The MPC. The MPC will remember the data for the MOTIF and will change back to the set-up after the loading is done... (because the MPC reloads the MSB/LSB... and remotely changes it back on the MOTIF after power on!!! )

But... If he like the drops (MOTIF pattern mode- you can easly come up with Ill ish on the fly) he should just link them together and have the just start and go sync with the two... both will retain all their functions but you will have to double save.

Now... back on topic...

The poster says he wants to record the MOTIF into the MPC... Does he mean sounds (audio) or MIDI (data)... if he is going the use the MPC to chop his chops (his recorded MOTIF playing,LOL) all he would have to focus on is the MPC... play something on the MOTIF... sample it in the MPC then chop it to pads.

If it's Data (which I hope) then he needs some MIDI cables and the instruction manuals... and better understanding of what is going on in what he is trying to do (No diss... just sayng)

If he is trying to cut a corner he should buy a cheap 8 channel mixer... blend in the inputs and then record them... add a microphone in the set up for your vocals... and record them to a boom box!!! LOL (Sorry I'm tripping off the vocals in the MOTIF... even if you could edit them and use the MOTIF effects processor... I would never do that, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.... feel me?)

I recommend buying the 128 for the MPC... lot of ideas can come and you may want a lot of samples at the ready when you in your creation phase... just delete the programs your don't use (or set the sample pad clear) and purge the MPC before you save (so It doesn't reload all the stuff you didn't use)

Chopping in the MOTIF classic was a pain for me... when I got a 1k I fell in love because It was so easy... I never sample with my MOTIF anymore... but with all this ES/EX super MO B.S out there... who knows their improvements. I love yahmaha... but as soon as I got some real dough I bought the Deuce FIVE, my Classic just sits in the corner now. (i'm a crate digger... what I need a piano for? LOL)

So the poster should ask himself which does he like when he is creative... The answer then is right there...

I've droped some suggestions but if you like what your doing and getting ill with it... cool but if you feel like your missing something or want to improve your sound you have to crack open the manuals... understand the technolgy, and what is happening with your gear, that way you won't end up buying stuff you don't need... or feel like you have to go get something else to make this, that and the third to work.

Good Luck...

choppin on tha motif is just as easy as mpc it just dont show tha bottom of tha wav but its nothin.i know how midi works i hade tha mm6 hooked to tha mpc i just dont know how to use tha motif its alot more then tha mm6.i just need ta know how to set tha motif to tell it tha its midi is goin to tha mpc...and of course i got midi cables...i just dont understand tha motif

Go to Utility, and there should be a place where you can find the menu
for setting up MIDI channels and stuff. Then you specify the channel
for keyboard info to go through.

its workin funny

i turned tha local off so when i get it to work i will hear sound with tha local off right?when i hit mode and midi sync on tha mpc and go to params and hit tha motif keys they move around in params on tha mpc so i know tha mpc knows tha motif s there but i get no sound from tha motif .tha locals off?and if i hit plat button on tha motif tha mpc play button lights up but tha mpc dont start right away under sequence it says [ext].i cant get tha mpc to record tha motif?iam stuck in tha middle of somewhere....almost there

"i turned tha local off so when i get it to work i will hear sound with tha local off right?"

Yes... Only after the MPC is set up with the MIDI CHNL TX to the MOTIF... (MSB/LSB... Did you read it like I said?) The MOTIF has to aslo be in MIDI... (The Tempo read out should say MIDI)

"and if i hit plat button on tha motif tha mpc play button lights up but tha mpc dont start right away under sequence it says [ext]"

Thats because the MOTIF sequencer is triggering the Start on the MPC (I thought you wanted to use the MPC as the MASTER) When the MOTIF reads MIDI (under tempo) it's Sequencer is disengaged... Your MPC is recognizing the MOTIF (that why when you press play on the MOTIF it trigger the MPC... and reads EXT)

The process should be something like this.

1. You go to a track (in the MPC)

2. You change the track to MIDI (1A thru 16A if you have the MPC MIDI out to the MOTIF MIDI in on the A output on the MPC) get that? LOL... OK, and the MPC should have MIDI in from the MIDI out of the MOTIF... but I guess you got that far...

3. You press the window key on the MPC... (and remotely change the sounds on the MOTIF) NOTE: you should be able to hear the MOTIF when the keys are played because the MPC is TX the MIDI CH... (also... the MOTIF MUST BE IN SONG OR PATTERN MODE!!! but if your pressing play I guess you got that... LOL)

4. Press record (On the MPC) and play something (on the MOTIF)

5. GOLDEN?

could u give it to me step by step again.i know how to hook tha mpc up its tha motif i dont understand...before i got tha motif i had a yamaha mini motif and i didnt have to do nothin but turn tha local off hit record on tha mpc its done but with tha motif it does tha same **** as tha mpc so its like it dont know iam tryin ta hook it to tha mpc.could u give me step by step on setin up tha motif s midi so tha mpc records it?its just tha sound on tha motif i think because when tha mpc s track is empty right when i turn it on i hit play and it dont even start playin because theres nothin recorded so i hit record and hit tha keys on tha motif and i get no sound but when i press play now it plays tha track but no sound?i know its tha motif its not set right i know it i just dont know how to set tha motif

I'm having a hard time figuring out your situation - or put differently,
why Octain1200's advice isn't helping you...

Answer these questions for me:
1)How is your audio set up? try explaining in detail.
2)You want to sequence everything on the MPC right?
3)When you try to record, do the MIDI notes show up on the
sequence in that track?
4)or are the notes there and is ONLY the sound not coming out?
5)Do you even need the sequencer on the Motif to sync? In other
words, do you have anything sequenced on the Motif that you want
played-back? or do you just want to use it as a sound module + MIDI
input keyboard.

Dude... I'm stomped!

Is the volume up on the MOTIF? Are the cable in the right places?... What about the mixer? Are the tracks armed? Damn Homes... I'm trying my best with you... Is the DAW CNTRL light on? (MOTIF can CNTRL PROTOOLS, LOGIC and ish)

If you have enter the (MPC) MIDI set up... and hit the keys on the MOTIF and the screen highlighter starts jumping (on the MPC) from note to note... (?) I'm really lost... run down your set-up completly.... I'm about to say sell that ish!!! LOL

alright i got tha midi cable hooked up right and tha audio cables to tha mixer i can hear em .but i still cant sync tha mpc as tha master.i cant figure out what tha midi settings are supposed to be on tha motif.ive combined all tha settings..this is how i got it set......tha mpc is set to [type]midi and 1a.i hit mode and midi sync and go to sync and got it to [in is 1] and [out is a]....tha active recieve tracks is set to..all..and tha motif is set like this localcntr is off...midi sync is set to midi....clock out is set to...on....i cant even hear tha motif through tha mpc?

Quick Question... Are you expecting the MOTIF to play start when you press the MPC?

because that shouldn't happen when the MPC is the master... the role of the MPC will be to "play the sound generator in the MOTIF"... nothing in the MOTIF should light up when you press play on the MPC... (Unless your doing something else...like linking the sequencers together but I recommend the MOTIF be the Master when doing this.)

OK...

hit a pad on you MPC and see if the MOTIF makes a sound...

If not, check your SEND and RCV CHs... make sure they Match...
NOTE: If the MIDI TX on the MOTIF doesn't match the MPC... when you play the keys on the MOTIF, the MPC won't respond to the data, thus not trigger the sound generator in the MOTIF.

Ok?

Last edited:
OCTAIN 1200 said:
Quick Question... Are you expecting the MOTIF to play start when you press the MPC?

because that shouldn't happen when the MPC is the master... the role of the MPC will be to "play the sound generator in the MOTIF"... nothing in the MOTIF should light up when you press play on the MPC... (Unless your doing something else...like linking the sequencers together but I recommend the MOTIF be the Master when doing this.)

OK...

hit a pad on you MPC and see if the MOTIF makes a sound...

If not, check your SEND and RCV CHs... make sure they Match...
NOTE: If the MIDI TX on the MOTIF doesn't match the MPC... when you play the keys on the MOTIF, the MPC won't respond to the data, thus not trigger the sound generator in the MOTIF.

Ok?

i only want to use tha mpc sequencer ...hit rec on tha mpc play tha motif thats it.but it does all this other stuff like when i hit play on tha motif it plays tha mpc...too..i want ta use tha mpc as tha master and tha motif as slave.sequence nothin on tha motif...what setting do i use under utilty on tha motif?

in pattern mode on tha motif i turn tha local off and load a voice like piano on track 1... and on tha mpc i go to track 1 set to midi and 1a....but i think it records tha midi messeges just no piano sound?

Last edited:
sdsdogpdmab said:
i only want to use tha mpc sequencer ...hit rec on tha mpc play tha motif thats it.but it does all this other stuff like when i hit play on tha motif it plays tha mpc...too..i want ta use tha mpc as tha master and tha motif as slave.sequence nothin on tha motif...what setting do i use under utilty on tha motif?

in pattern mode on tha motif i turn tha local off and load a voice like piano on track 1... and on tha mpc i go to track 1 set to midi and 1a....but i think it records tha midi messeges just no piano sound?

Ok... this is my last post... I'm sorry, I can't help... If you are using the MPC as the master... Why are you hitting play on the MOTIF? Did you check the MIDI TX and RCVs on both items? I won't type out the manual for you... and tell you what applies... You should read it!!! MIDI is DATA!!! of course there isn't any piano sound!!!! I know you may be fusterated with you set-up and what your trying to do... but if you won't read it for yourself, then it is what it is... sell that ish...

thats tha first thing i do is read tha manuals..i know what midi does i got a mini motif tha mm6 it has no problems gettin recorded to tha mpc.i know midi is data it sends to tha mpc and tha sends another signal back to tha keyboard witch plays tha tone generater.iam just havin problems with tha motif ive tried a different vareation of every midi setting in tha motif it dont work i know tha mpc is getting tha data because it plays tha track and i see a metter jumpin on tha mpc on tha left side i just dont hear tha sound....when i bought tha motif it even came with 3 instruction dvds but they dont mention anything about hooking it up to an external sequencer.its like they expect you to use it byitself.i got every thing set to tha same channel and track iam on track one on tha mpc and motif.and midi all matches..iam bout ta just ask dude from guitar center to come through after work put ine in tha air and see if he can do something...good lookin yall.this is too much typin and not enough beat makin for us...thanx for tha help though...ill get it..

Back