MPC or Maschine?

the maschine arent that cheap either, the one thing with MPC is that, i dont know where to get one online and its a bit old? the 2000/2500 so if something goes wrong and if i need something, i cant find it.

All Guitar Center: Guitars, Bass, Drums, Amps, DJ Equipment, Keyboards has everything you'll need.
Btw, the Maschine brand new is cheaper than any brand new MPC. (except the MPC 500) You won't need an interface with Maschine untill you start sampling external audio sources. (vinyl, live instruments, etc) And even then you don't really need one to sample songs. You can always just download Audacity for free (or any mp3 converter that converts mp3's to wav) then simply drag and drop your wav into a pad on Maschine and chop it up in the sampler. You cannot do this with the MPC.
Another feature that I like about Maschine is that samples are instantly chopped no matter how long the sample is. However on the MPC, the longer the sample, the longer you have to wait for it to chop your sample. I've personally seen this first hand as my brother told you earlier that he uses an MPC. I always give him shit about that lol I've seen him have to wait as long as 10 min sometimes just to chop a sample lol Poor guy :P

I'll let you in on a little secret, he mainly uses his Akai MPD26 in conjunction with Logic (as a controller) while both his MPC 2000 and 1000 collect dust... ;)

Last edited:
read somewhere that the maschine doesnt work with pro tools? and that the maschien cannot sample in 16 bit( DONT KNOW what 16 bit and 24 bit are cuz im a noob)

It might not work with Pro Tools, but that shouldn't matter unless you plan on purchasing the 10k dollar version. That's the industry standard version. Logic is used just as widely in the industry and Maschine works with Logic.
As far as 16 bit is concerned, there are settings on the Maschine that allow this feature to be emulated with it's SP1200 and MPC 60 emulator. In other words, the gritty 16 bit sound that is highly associated with the MPC and SP1200 can be replicated in the Maschine. Besides, you may not always want that gritty sound. You might want a clean sound once in a while and Maschine can do both, gritty and clean. MPC can only do gritty. So why limit yourself? ;)
The bit rate is simply the resolution of audio. The higher the bit, the higher the resolution of the audio will be. This can be compared to the gaming systems you've used. 8 bit Nintendo, 16 bit Sega Gennesis, 32 bit 3DO, 64 bit N64, 128 bit Sega Cd and finally the Xbox 360. Notice the higher bit means higher graphic resolution.
24 bit and higher doesn't really matter considering all commercial cd's are pressed in 16 bit format.

Last edited:
I own both... I have both in front of me. I love my mpc its my favorite purchase of all time and its biggest advantages to me are a classic sequencer and great workflow. It terms of sound quality all this talk about the mpc having the "classic hip-hop sound" is more urban legend than anything. The only mpc's that have a real difference in sound is the 60 and the 3000. It a lot of ways the maschine is the evolution of what an mpc is and can work circles around an mpc. The biggest disadvantage of the machine to me is the fact that if you are coming from the mpc world you have to get use to having a laptop around and NO TIME STRETCH also sequencing on the maschine feels very different from the mpc. The biggest advantage current mpc's have over the maschine is the ability to be a stand alone piece and a more intuitive sequencer but in terms of potential and versatility the machine is the better choice (in terms of mpcs that are currently on the market).

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

the machine does work with pro tools and 16 bit is the base standard (CD quality) so yes you it can do that too.

thanks people =), to KB the Mastermind, what do you mean that the 10k dollar verison is the industry standard one? what about the ''cheaper'' version of pro tools?

No, it works just fine in PT. I've only ran it in PT v8 and up though so I don't know about earlier versions.

From my experience, the MPC is an instrument. A triton, Fantom... are instruments. If you don't care to learn to play "piano"; keyboard, organ, Clavinet.... then try to learn how to play an MPC.

Whichever you chose, you're still going to need to track your audio to a DAW to finish your work. Master, export to MP3, burn a CD.

Some gear will allow you to do this all in one... Triton Studio, MV-8800, but you don't have the same quality or quantity of effects that you would get through even the least expensive DAW.

The Maschine is basically a modern MPC. If you ever get an MPC, make note of all the things you wish was not a problem... limited Sample Ram; not a problem with Maschine.... limited visability; not a problem with Maschine..... limited/dated storage solutions; not a problem with Maschine... long processing time; not a problem with Maschine.

One big advantage of MPC/Maschine, is that it's pattern based. You build patterns, then arrange them, drop vocals, hooks, etc.. & you've got yourself a song.

Then came DAW software like Acid, Sonar, then Ableton, which incorporate that pattern based work-flow.... Then Logic added similar features, then Cubase & ProTools added play list functionality, which is very similar to what Ableton does.

But you moused around your project. It felt more like work than art.

Then came controllers, like the MPD, that were tightly integrated with Ableton, that brought much of the art back to music production.

Long story short, you need to figure out how you want to work & get to it.

Last edited:
i got the mikro version and its awesome especially playing with it at night with the blue and red lcd lights

MPC Is Classic

I been using the MPC-1000 for 5 years and its dope. If you want really hard, heavy sounding drums its the way to go. I use it for drums and sampling, it gives it that classic hip hop sound that you cant get from computers. One of the pads went out thats my only complaint, but they can be fixed and replaced. Never used the Maschine but I heard it's dope too. Best thing would be to try both and then see which one you like. The MPC will never go out of style because its classic, sort of like a lowrider.

I been using the MPC-1000 for 5 years and its dope. If you want really hard, heavy sounding drums its the way to go. I use it for drums and sampling, it gives it that classic hip hop sound that you cant get from computers. One of the pads went out thats my only complaint, but they can be fixed and replaced. Never used the Maschine but I heard it's dope too. Best thing would be to try both and then see which one you like. The MPC will never go out of style because its classic, sort of like a lowrider.
The sample engine in the mpc isn't special. Any sound you can get out of a 1k you can get out of a computer... And this statement is coming from some one that owns/ has owned several mpc's and a maschine

An MPC is a Mobile Production Center...

MPC = MIDI Production Center

It's all personal preference. A beat won't be any better on one than on the other. The result is entirely up to you. It's all about how you prefer to work and which you are most comfortable with. This is no different that the all too famous "Which is the best DAW" debates. Me personally? If I had to choose between the two I would go with the Maschine. It's a fraction of the cost of a new MPC and here's the kicker... Maschine can do everything an MPC can do, but an MPC can't do everything a Maschine can do.

Out of the 2, i prefer the MPC. I like the idea of Maschine but don't really necessarily care for the scenes workflow. For the same reason, i am not a big fan of Ableton either. I prefer either linear, or pattern based. For those reasons, i think the MPC renassaince will be a potential purchase for me, but on Maschine, when i demoed it, i found myself trying to figure out how to build a beat linearly in a scenes environment. I still think Maschine is pretty nice though and the included instruments sounded really good.

When it comes to timing accuracy hardware such as the MPC has a slight advantage as it offers extremely low latencies right out of the box.

MPC makes your life easier if you're a sampler

Maschine is more sophisticated, not as great for sampling, but more tech friendly

I have the MPC 2500 and I recently got a Maschine as well. In my opinion, if you are a beginner in making beats, get an MPC, because it is easier to learn yet powerful enough to make good music. You can use it as a standalone sampler or you can connect it to midi devices, etc. However, I love the Maschine, due to the fact that it powerful, you can use it with VSTs, multiple effects per sound, comes with a sound library etc. Keep in mind that to take full advantage of the Maschine, you need a computer with good CPU, RAM, and Hard Drive space. I thought about the mikro but decided to take advantage of the full screen size on the controller. Keep in mind that the Renaissance might be a beast. The only reason I didn't get the Renaissance is because I don't think it would be worth the extra investment over the combinination of a 2500 and Maschine.

Back