MPC 5000 and multisampled instrument patches

The 1005 said:
Now you're just being silly. Tell me you didn't mean that?

Yes. I meant that. Since you obviously disagree..please tell me exactly what additional functions that a similar hardware product has that the 5K doesn't when it comes to multisampling?

And to the other dude....keygroup samplers have been around since the 80s. Many of these units could only use a maximum of 2MB, 8MB, 16 MB, and 32 MB of sample memory. Based upon your limited knowledge on the subject..I guess you will wrongly assume those were not keygroup type samplers.....

Last edited:
jahrome said:
please tell me exactly what additional functions that a similar hardware product has that the 5K doesn't when it comes to multisampling?

minus 2000$ on the pricetag. mpc5000's sampling engine seems to be even inferior to 1000 when jj OS 2 or 3 is installed.

I just got finished building a few multisampled instrument patches using the MPC 5000 and a Fantom. I will post identical musical compositions using both workstations, using the same patches and let you guys pick which one you thinks sounds the best. It will be a blind test.

jahrome said:
It will be a blind test.
Nobody trust you not to post the same source twice or rig the results. The only person it will serve is you.

minus 2000$ on the pricetag. mpc5000's sampling engine seems to be even inferior to 1000 when jj OS 2 or 3 is installed.

Indeed true and he's well aware of it. This why your statement was skipped over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone believing that I would intentionally rig the test results is silly. I own/use both of these workstations on a daily basis for music production (something you should try sometimes). The site says Future Producers...but damn...will you ever produce something :)

Regardless of what you think or believe, I will post the audio files for you to discuss. I won't even tell you which is which. I will just leave it up for debate.

PS- I really wish I could tell you exactly what is about to go down. But I will say is that everything you have been saying about the 5K (from lack of experience using one of course) will smack you in the face ;)

jahrome said:
PS- I really wish I could tell you exactly what is about to go down. But I will say is that everything you have been saying about the 5K (from lack of experience using one of course) will smack you in the face ;)

It can't do much of anything given that at this everything posted is true and irrefutable .

If you guys get some great update that makes the machine stable or adds a feature or two ,that's great. The fact is, even if that happens the 5000 can be only as good as it should have been a year ago.

jahrome said:
I just got finished building a few multisampled instrument patches using the MPC 5000 and a Fantom. I will post identical musical compositions using both workstations, using the same patches and let you guys pick which one you thinks sounds the best. It will be a blind test.

What, you gonna turn the velocity off on the Fantom to make it sound crap like you did with the piano sound?:p

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by jahrome

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What? Is it going to work now? That's to be expected of a $2000+ sampler, isn't it?
VGA out? that would be nice wouldn't it.
Ability to spread a patch across a whole keyboard instead of just 16 pads? You know a $200 SP sampler can do that don't you?
Colour Screen? Should be there already.
A Non-Casio-ifier? That's a new DSP that prevents all Casio-sounding output from the 5000 - great addition as Casiotone sounds from a $2000+ sampler has gotta be embarrassing.
Random funtion on the synth? That would be good. As it currently sounds like a cut-down Subtractor, at least with random you might hit upon something actually useful.
Filters that don't step? wow. I'm unimpressed. Filters are not supposed to step.
24 bit sampling engine? For the money, should already be there.
Increased poly? For the money, should already be there.
Ability to film video? But how about them stills???

Sorry I'm just being facetious. Hang on, no, I'm not actually sorry :monkey:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, got to love threads like these. So incredibly pointless, but worse yet it doesn't showcase anything really incredible.

Jahrome, did you buy an MV yet? Perhaps, better don't, it might not help ya. :P Just fcking with you, you're alright, but this thread doesn't really make me think much of your music you man.

Bananasass said:
Lol, got to love threads like these. So incredibly pointless, but worse yet it doesn't showcase anything really incredible.

Jahrome, did you buy an MV yet? Perhaps, better don't, it might not help ya. :P Just fcking with you, you're alright, but this thread doesn't really make me think much of your music you man.

I hope you know that I am not here to get a stamp of approval for any of my music. I will leave that up to the 14 year olds on this site.

I would never buy the MV 8000 again nor the MV-8800. I will probably get the MV 9000 when/if it drops.

As far as the MP, there is no velocity layers in the example. This was just to show novice users of what a multisampler will do. The MP just like the MV, only gives you 4 velocity layers. They will never sound like a $200 software sampler with numerous velocity layers...never. That is why it is so funny hearing people rave about this function in drum machines.

This weekend, I pulled out some old multisample CD roms and loaded them up into a hardware multisampler. It sounds nothing like a software based sampler....not even close. Personally, I don't use a multisampler for playing back instruments...I use keyboard workstations. But I use multisample programs to play back my sliced samples......

Bananasass said:
Or so he claims... I don't buy into it tho.

He's never owned he MV. That's why he can only repost rumors and what others write. He no idea of the workings of the machine and we go's over to MV Nation. When he's over there he's like a fish out of water because his ownership is a fraud.

As matter of fact he even went on MV Nation and said that he thought the MV was constructed of mostly plastic. You'll never hear him speak beyond comparison specs and speculation.

Somebody show me just one post, EVER, when he has spoken about himself actually using the MV with any amount of relevant detail.

You can continue to post lies if you want..but anybody can use the search function (ascending) in the MV Forums and find numerous threads such as this one:
http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2085

But this is not an MV thread...and I am sure everybody is tired of your posts about specs and speculations. Let's hear some music that you created using the MV...oops, I forgot. You don't own an MV (or any MP) nor do you create music...

As far as internet types?? What do you think you guys are? Some of you need to go outside and get a girlfriend...at least that is what I was doing when I was your age...not being a geek in an internet forum. Real talk :)

moyphee said:
He's never owned he MV. That's why he can only repost rumors and what others write. He no idea of the workings of the machine and we go's over to MV Nation. When he's over there he's like a fish out of water because his ownership is a fraud.

As matter of fact he even went on MV Nation and said that he thought the MV was constructed of mostly plastic. You'll never hear him speak beyond comparison specs and speculation.

Somebody show me just one post, EVER, when he has spoken about himself actually using the MV with any amount of relevant detail.

Yeah, it's quite obvious.

Relevant detail? You will say anything to convince people I never owned an MV...

How about 7 threads:
http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2085
http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2086&p=15564#p15564
http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2072
http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2104
http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2079
http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2112
http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2123
I am not broke like you and can afford to buy anything I want..son. The hottest product released in Namm in two weeks..I will own and won't have to sell all my gear just to be able to afford it. You? Most likely can't....

But back on topic. So I did some investigating on sampled sound libraries..trying out numerous Akai S1000/3000 programs. All of the commerical CD Roms have multisampled piano sounds but they were not layered nor did they have any velocity switching exactly like the piano patched I posted earlier. I imported one of these piano patched into my S3000 compatible sampler and loaded the identical sounds into the MPC 5000. I mad sure all the ADSR settings were indentical and mapped the samples to different notes. After I was finished, the S3000 keymap sampler and the MPC 5000 sounds indentical.

Furthermore...I got down and dirty to take a look at the 'great' Roland sounds in my Fantom G. The piano's are only sampled with 3 different dynamics. In the example I posted earlier, I only did one dynamic (just like many sample libraries on the market). But since the MPC 5000 can have up to 4 velocity layers per pad, I can easily recreat Roland piano patches to use. Easily doesn't mean quickly. But even using a keygroup sampler, you still would have to multi-sample a piano with different dynamics and assign them to a program.

Last edited:
@Jahrome: Seriously, you're making a fool out of yourself by even trying.

Those posts on MVNation do not prove you've owned an MV, quite the contrary.

Most of them posts of yours are questions easily answered íf you had actually owned the MV. Most of your other posts have been not specific at all, let alone 'relevant' in everyday usage man.

Also, disabling the MV screen? You must be out your mind.

Out of curiosity, what did you mean with Roland releasing a mod so you can 'adjust' the screen? Adjust what?

Bananasass said:
@Jahrome: Seriously, you're making a fool out of yourself by even trying.

Those posts on MVNation do not prove you've owned an MV, quite the contrary.

Most of them posts of yours are questions easily answered íf you had actually owned the MV. Most of your other posts have been not specific at all, let alone 'relevant' in everyday usage man.

Also, disabling the MV screen? You must be out your mind.

Out of curiosity, what did you mean with Roland releasing a mod so you can 'adjust' the screen? Adjust what?
Of course the can be easily answered today....but this was almost 4 years ago. And if you actually read my posts, you will find that I was an MPC 3000 user which is clearly just a simple phrase sampler and MIDI sequencer.

Why are you asking me questions when you think I am lying about buying a drum machine? It really doesn't matter that you believe me or not. You can easily check out the other threads in the MV Forums to see my posts/threads about the MV. And if you are really desperate to discredit me..simply do an eBay search to find they guy that purchased my MV when I sold it. I bought the MPC 4000 and then later an MV. Neither could replace what I loved about an MPC 3000 do they both saw the auction block. I kept using the MPC 3000 until the MPC 2500 was released. That is all detailed right in this forum if you care to read...

Now if you actually owned an MV, you will find that by removing the screws around the LCD screen, it is simple to disconnect the LCD screen. The LCD screen is not needed if you are using an external monitor and you won't have to ever replace it. I disabled my MV to prevent future problems.

When I was talking about a MOD..I was talking about the lousy LCD screen. It is useless and you must use an external monitor. To be able to use that LCD screen, it needs a mod so you can adjust the viewing angle.

Also...when it comes to the MPC 5000, all I talk about is specs. Anything beyond that anyone can read in the manual and post as if they have some knowledge (like some of you do). Next, you will be questioning if I own an MPC 5000.

Last edited:
Back