MPC 500, 1000, or 2000xl?

DamarE

Hey, im new here, since you guys don't really know me, im a young producer, im 13 years old, ive been producing for about 6 months.. I want an MPC for christmas, i never used an MPC before, which one would be the best for me? and which would cost the least? im on a budget, try to keep it under $400 (I know it's hard to get an MPC for a low amount, but still, i could try to sell beats to get some money and save it til christmas and raise the budget)

DO NOT get an mpc 500, if you don't have enough for a 1000 or 2000xl just get a zoom sampletrak for less than $100 to hold you over until you can afford a decent mpc, the 500 is no fun to work on, ridiculous amounts of nob twisting due to tiny display and known for crashing.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

if your budgets 400 you could probably find a used 1000, or even get a new maschine mikro for 250.

I've used a 500 a few times I really liked it. My only problems with it were 12 pads and the size. If workflow and more modern features are a major concern I think a 1000 would be great but keep in mind the 1000 is still 10 years old. A 2000 xl is only a few years older but they still rely on external media for saving sounds many still have floppy disk drives on board and floppies are hard to find in 2012. Hell I stopped using one of my other samplers that I loved because in 2010 I had a hell of a time finding floppy disks after one of my favorite computer stores went out of business but the 2000s feel great and I really enjoy them as well vs the smaller feel but feature heavy feel of the 1000. Neither is really better or worse imo it just depends on what is important to you. Have you also considered a Maschine Mikro? I think that would be a better choice than any hardware mpc at this point and they go for $350

The 500 is going to be the cheapest. You can find old 2000's for about the same money, but they probably won't be in good shape.
In my experience with the latest software update the 500 is stable, and from a workflow standpoint no worse than my old 2000 was, and maybe somewhat better.

Do you have an audio interface too? If not figure this into your cost.

get a used 1000 (from mpchunter.com) - smaller disfunctions like single buttons are easily and cheap to replace.

2000xl easily has the best build and pads. you will need a hard disk recorder or a mixer/daw to go with it.

i cannot/do not recommend any of the newer mpcs. however many ppl feel the 1000 with refurbished pads and the JJOS is a solution.

Back