MPC 2500 vs studio/ren

chynk

I recently purchased an MPC 2500 with jjos and am slowly learning how to use this thing through youtube videos.

Youtube videos only go so deep or only answer so many questions so I'm looking into the 2500 tutorial book.

But then a number of people have suggested that I sell the 2500 and pick up a studio or renaissance being that it's easier to use as well as technology is continuing to advance.

In my mind, I felt I needed to pay my dues in a sense by learning the hard way first, getting the feel of the 2500 before jumping straight into the digital world.

Kind of like how a dj starts with pioneer decks and has so idea what to do with vinyl and a pair of 1200s.

Is this a comparable analogy?

Anyways, I've done a little bit of research and most of the threads about my comparison are about three years old. Mostly complaining of poor software and bugs. I assume now Akai has worked out these bugs.

So are the studio/ren now better?

It's a preference thing. Was tempted to get a mv8800 but stuck to software controller route after finding out the next akai mpc is just a drumpad with a windows tablet embedded in it.

But, that could change depending on how that thing turns out. Apparently the new mpcs are gonna be using custom windows which was a key decision stickin to software lol. Basically everything being tied to an O.S. mixed feelins tbh.
Would be nice if padmakers made slots for screens or tablets to connect pads to tabs like how it was in that new akai pic, would be clean.

In the same mindset as you. Had been a 2500 user for years, and I would use it with Reason on the computer. Sold my 2500 a few years back and used just Reason. Now I'm getting back into the MPC game and I couldn't decide on 2500 or Ren.

I think if you use the software route, the MPC Ren gives you the workflow and feel with the power of the computer. No standalone mode though. My main thing was, I can use the 2500 with my computer anyway since I know how to hook it up via MIDI for VST's, etc. So for me it's essentially the same thing. 2500 with JJ OS is the route I went.

Still torn on the Ren though. You're not losing either way.

The most important thing is what is your work flow... Back in the days I had mpc 1000, was connected via midi to my cubase as sort of vst. Advantage was - I could take it with me on holiday and make something... Disadvantage was the small screen (however no comparison to mpc500 I had before) and some things took me too long to get due to typical mpc flow... I changed to Maschine (was considering ren but not enough room on my desk ;) ) as computer is heart of my workplace. Still can take it with me on holiday (with my mac book) ;)

Last edited:
I have Maschine up in the attic studio but bought an MPC500 to mess about with on the sofa downstairs...
I'm struggling with the workflow compared to Maschine's.

I imagine the Ren has a much quicker and easier workflow than the 2500 too...

Back